Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: An Anorexic Takes on 'America's Next Top Model'

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoViewer
    Her mom should have counter-balanced ANTM by forcing her daughter to watch The Parkers.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

After reading this thread I really have a hankering for some post-it notes.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I have to say...that girl is nuts...But after watching Yoanna go from stunning...to death like in her thin rack of bones body...I wonder about this show myself....what kind of message does Yoannas bones send out to little girls? She should just lost her back fat...anyway, this little girls parents are messed up...and so is she

To her credit, Yoanna has been very vocal about how her own weight loss was done gradually and healthfully through a combination of a better diet, yoga, pilates, etc. And throughout the series we saw her eating all the time, nutritious things like vegetables--she even forced some of her food on Heather, when Heather started to fret over her weight and was only eating pickles. How much more can "bones" do?

At any rate, I think Yoanna sends a better message than The Swan, or even Extreme Makeover, which basically imply that you can have that perfect body without having to work at all--just go under the knife!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubies
    This kid has been on several talk shows about her disorder. I wonder if the comments towards ANTM are more of an attack on the mother's part than on the child really eating paper again. Her mom seemed to be very knowledgeable of her daughter's disorder in the interviews linked below.
    Exactly what I was thinking. It's like the mother (like most parents) would rather have the show to blame than herself and hopes others will see it this way and not point the finger at her. As I said in my previous post, I do think the entertainment industry should be a little more responsible as far as body image and overall image goes, but I think a lot of people use it as an excuse for their own actions, whether it's for an eating disorder or something else. But as John said, why would a mother let her recovering anorexic daughter, who's obsession started by looking at models, watch a show about finding the next supermodel? It just isn't responsible on her part.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoViewer
    Her mom should have counter-balanced ANTM by forcing her daughter to watch The Parkers.
    You know, for some reason I thought of The Parkers also when I was thinking of shows that girl and her mother should have been watching.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing
    You know, for some reason I thought of The Parkers also when I was thinking of shows that girl and her mother should have been watching.
    The problem with skinny women is that they don't know how to follow directions! When you go to an 'All You Can Eat' buffet, what does that mean? ALL YOU CAN EAT! A skinny woman gets one plate and she be like "Oh, i'm full" - Mo'Nique

I know I misquoted her, but that's basically what she said.
    We bout to throw dem bows
    We bout to swang dem thangs
    It's 'bout to be a what? Girlfight!

You have a 12 yr who has anorexia for 7 years and Mom never noticed. I am surprised this kid survived. She must have permanent damage to her body. Why was the mother never charged with child neglect and endangerment. The mother of that 12 yr old girl who was too fat was taken to court (I think the girl died she was over 200 lbs). It makes you wonder about the message this gives in our society. Make your kid fat and go to jail. Let your child starve and become a media star.

FORT Fogey
    It also seems like the mom and daughter just want to get on tv. I know she is anorexic but on the et interview it just seemed odd to me how confident she was talking about it on national television especially at her age. It just seems she would be a bit shyer and the fact that they are going everywhere with this story says to me that they are looking for some type of publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    So you're saying her idea of a Hometown Buffet is, in fact, an Office Depot.

Nice to see she's evolving at least; she's moved on to blaming actual people (ANTM) as opposed to inanimate objects (Barbie) for her personal problems.
    Well, at least cotton is a fiber and can keep her "regular".

SnowflakeGirl, you are just too much! When will you be writing again or are you presently covering a show now?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast