Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: An Anorexic Takes on 'America's Next Top Model'

Does paper count as a carbohydrate?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

You know, paper might actually have more calories than some more conventional food items. A single leaf of butterhead lettuce has zero calories, a sheet of rice paper has 2 calories, and regular writing paper would probably contain residual, digestable sugars (=calories), not to mention all sorts of horrible chemicals. That girl would have been better off eating garden salads (without the dressing) instead of office supplies.

Also, that's not the first time that girl has been in the news. An earlier article mentioned she used to eat the cotton ends of Q-tips.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/G...anorexics.html

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Yes, I feel sorry for the girl and hope she gets well. I had a very good friend of mine who struggled with an eating disorder for years, but she didn't go and blame the entertainment industry. I know that they give people a bad impression of body image (the way I look at it is they have all that money to have personal trainers, go to exclusive gyms and hire caterors to cook whatever they want) but I don't feel like it's their responsibility to baby-sit the teens of America and tell them what's the right and wrong way to look. It would be nice if Hollywood employed more plus sized actors and didn't reveal that so and so's a size 0, but I don't think it's the shows fault or the industries for making girls think that they have to be thin. I can understand how people can get the impression (it's obvious.)

When a girl is 13 or 14 and has weight issues, it might be harder to help her, but the fact that she was 5 years old and her mother let it get out of control? Good point about why was she watching this show in the first place. When I was 5, my biggest worry wasn't my weight but who I was going to play with at recess. 5 year old's shouldn't be worried about whether their fat or not and they should learn that at home.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing
    You know, paper might actually have more calories than some more conventional food items. A single leaf of butterhead lettuce has zero calories, a sheet of rice paper has 2 calories, and regular writing paper would probably contain residual, digestable sugars (=calories), not to mention all sorts of horrible chemicals. That girl would have been better off eating garden salads (without the dressing) instead of office supplies.

Also, that's not the first time that girl has been in the news. An earlier article mentioned she used to eat the cotton ends of Q-tips.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/..._anorexics.html
    So you're saying her idea of a Hometown Buffet is, in fact, an Office Depot.

Nice to see she's evolving at least; she's moved on to blaming actual people (ANTM) as opposed to inanimate objects (Barbie) for her personal problems.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

omg didnt her mom like notice anythign wrong? why did it take her mom 7 years to finally get her some help? and didnt the doctor notice and wouldnt her mom ask her if she wants dinner and make her eat dinner how could you not know that your kid was sick for 7 years where she was 32 pounds?
    everyday is so wonderful........ then suddenly is hard to breathe

FORT Newbie

Anerorexic

There is no doubt this young lady has issues. Prior to the filming of Top Model and in her future, if she doesn't get the right help. But all of us have to admit there is a lot of anorexia folks in TV and the modeling world. I wish Designers and others would wake up in this world it is a very unnatural thing to wear 0-2 if you are 5'8 or taller. That is not healthy at all for anyone. If you don't have enough body fat, enzymes will eat and erode away at your major organs and your heart has to work twice as hard. That is the biggest issue hear. It's to bad the modeling industry doesn't test all the girls for body fat levels that are extremely dangerous. In High school wrestling this is watched very closely.

FORT Fogey
    Her mom should have counter-balanced ANTM by forcing her daughter to watch The Parkers.

FORT Fogey
    so she ate q-tips and paper? Doesnt someone get sick after eating these things everyday?

omg some of your posts are hilarious!

again, when are plus sized male models going to be a niche? where all mah big brothas at aiite?! fo shizzle =P

FORT Newbie
    Pica is an eating disorder, normally found in children, where they eat non-food items such as paper, dirt, and other things. Pica has been traced to certain nutritional deficiencies in individuals. For more, see WebMD (I still can't post links, so follow the directions to find the whole articles/interviews).

This kid has been on several talk shows about her disorder. I wonder if the comments towards ANTM are more of an attack on the mother's part than on the child really eating paper again. Her mom seemed to be very knowledgeable of her daughter's disorder in the interviews linked below.

(go to abc's home page, then paste: sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/ GMA011219Young_anorexics.html)

One of Sacker's young patients, Justine Gallagher, started eating paper when she was 5, because she worried that she was as chubby as she had been in her baby pictures. Gallagher ate as many as 10 pieces of paper a day, believing that filling up on paper rather than food would help her lose weight.

(go to oprah's website, then go to tows/pastshows/tows_past_20011004_b.jhtml)

When Justine was only five years old, she devised a dangerous way to avoid eating. Although her mother, Yvonne, noticed that her daughter wasn't eating much, she had no idea how intensely Justine was struggling. She discovered that Justine was eating paper in order to make herself full, allowing her to avoid food. Justine's parents took her to Dr. Ira Sacker, who helped her focus on something besides her body. He understood that her problem wasn't about food, but about her tremendous fear of being fat. Now that Justine doesn't focus on food and her appearance, her mother sees a change for the better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast