Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Yoanna Win For Publicity?

Honorary Fraggle

Did Yoanna Win For Publicity?

OK, now I may not have many posts under my belt, but I've been thinking... We all know Tyra is the biggest egomaniac on TV, and the show has been known to exaggerate some things from time to time, especially in the previews. Now my question is: do you think Yoanna won so they would have two (even three?) faces to put out there from the show. Personally, I think that the judges knew Mercedes and Shandi were going to get contracts regardless of the outcome of the show. So, to get more publicity for the show, they gave Yoanna the crown. Just a thought...

Crystal Allen

I was thinking this exact thing !!!!

I am completely with you on this. Even those of us who know nothing about the fashion industry recognize Shandi's natural model figure and face that 'takes makeup well' and can adore Mercedes' personality and 'exotic' look. I don't recall last season's runners up making a trek to any agency [the way therse girls are all going to IMG] to be looked over. I can really see the judges thinking that Yoanna needed the boost of winning the contest.

What Would Janice Do? littlecat's Avatar
    That would really disappoint me it it was true, it wouldn't surprise me however. In yoanna's defense, she is beautiful, and i think she worked hard for it and will be a great model (ps, she was my # 3 choice of the top 3).

Honorary Fraggle
    I agree that Yoanna is gorgeous... from the neck up. They complained about her body for weeks, she fell at the video shoot, and they all acknowledged Mercedes beat her on the runway. From the moment that Shandi got eliminated, I smelled a fix!

I saw Tyra on a show and she said Yoanna was her favorite from the beginning. She hasn't seen bone structure in a face like that in a long time. She wants to bring back that classic look to modeling. I'm sure they started writing and developing the storylines by keeping Shandi around to show her Caterpillar-to-Butterfly transformation. They got the boyfriend/cheating story as an added bonus. Mercedes character was "Mall Girl Goes High Fashion." Even though there's a fine line in these so-called unscripted reality/competition shows between spinning the best stories (and thus having boffo ratings) and crowning the winner who deserved it most or earned it fair and square.

Well if last season was any indication, the top half dozen or so will get lucrative contracts. Maybe not with the top tier agencies, but still a lot better than for them walk in off the streets. I wouldn't shed a tear for any one of them (except for Bethany maybe). They got a tremendous amount of exposure from this show.

Tyra ain't no dummy. She knows how to work it, so of course this show is really all about HER and HER search for a top model. As far as previews are concerned, I'm not falling for that drama queen Jay anymore. "April knocked Yoanna off the runway." "Yoanna cut a huge hole in the back of her head."

Honorary Fraggle
    Quote Originally Posted by pleightx
    I wouldn't shed a tear for any one of them (except for Bethany maybe).
    Well, there's always "America's Next Top Models Gone Wild"

Honorary Fraggle
    Quote Originally Posted by pleightx
    Mercedes character was "Mall Girl Goes High Fashion."
    Hmm, maybe "Mall Girl with Life Altering and Possibly Deadly Disease Goes High Fashion."

Just a thought.

What Would Janice Do? littlecat's Avatar
    i would think that prior to season 2's airing the producers might been concerned with finding a winner who would be fairly "commercial/high profile" to ensure the future success of the show. Hopefully the huge success of the show will make it more spontaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by mercedesfan
    Hmm, maybe "Mall Girl with Life Altering and Possibly Deadly Disease Goes High Fashion."

Just a thought.
    Oh yeah, you're right. Towards the end of the show, except for the judges deliberations about her being a Survivor, they never really mentioned her Lupus again. That's good that she's able to manage everything.

Kao
    I don't think she won for publicity's sake...she worked it, for god's sake. Okay, she fell, and her shoe broke, which wasn't her fault. She still had a great deal more potential than a lot of the girls. Besides, a lot of the girls (the top 6) had a lot of raw potential. Just because they didn't win on the show doesn't mean that they won't be picked up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast