Thread: Model, Top Model, or Supermodel?

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

Model, Top Model, or Supermodel?

Too often I hear the term "Supermodel" used to describe someone who is at best, just a "Top Model". What are the qualities the you think makes a Model, a Top Model or Supermodel? Who do you think most often gets label Supermodel when they're not super?

I'll start with the Supermodel pretenders:

Angie Everhart
    Stephanie Seymour
    Jennifer Flavin

(these are Lingerie/swimwear models, while they were/are successful at it, they aren't Supermodels).
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Though I'm not too familiar with the models that you've listed, I think Angie was on Celeb Mole, right? I wouldn't call her a supermodel at all. Maybe she was just given that title because she was on TV, and the "status" that she had on the show wasn't justified by her having the title "Swimwear Model". I don't even think I would call her a top model as I can't see her ever posing in glamour shots.

I think a top model is a model who can pose in all different kinds of photos and look professional doing it. I think a supermodel is one who is capable of doing amazing in all photo shoots as well, but can do runway shows, act fairly well so they can be in commercials, etc. and being successful doing all of that.

And a model is just someone who gets paid to be photographed.

i dont think supermodels , in the sense that we used to think of them, exist anymore. I dont think there can ever be such a craze over models like back in the day with Cindy, Christy, Naomi etc..all the fashion mags nowadays are putting Renee Zelwegger and other actresses on their covers. theres hardly ever models on there and even if there is, we probably wont know who they are! average americans probably dont even know who Gisele is!
    C' tutta una vita in un'ora d'amore.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I think that the entertainment press often applies the term "Supermodel" to just any model with a level of celebrity. By that definition, Yoanna, Shandi and Mercedes would be "Supermodels".
    I have to agree that Supermodels today aren't what they used to be, but I think that they still are there. But is it just the fees they commanded that made them super? I always thought that it was more. Janice says that she coined the term because she was so busy doing every kind of modeling that she wasn't just a model, she was a "supermodel". Wether that's really where the term came from or not, I think that is the best definition for the term. A Model who is the top of the field in every type of modeling (print, commercial, high fashion, lingerie, beauty, TV, runway, etc).
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Newbie
    I agree with you Chordita---I think there are still some supermodels today. Linda Evangelista and Naomi Campbell are both still very active in the modelling world and command a lot of attention (and high prices as well, I'm sure!). I think Gisele maybe hovers between Top Model and Supermodel....maybe. I heard that her contract for Victoria's Secret is something like $25 million over 5 years.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I miss models on the cover of magazines. Vogue just has celebs.
    I consider Steph Seymour a supermodel...she did runway for quite awhile as well as spreads in Vogue, and Baazar, Elle and stuff.

I consider Angela Lindvall, Maggie Rizer, Karolina Kurkova, Shalom Harlow, Amber Valetta, Alek Wek Supermodels of Today.

Topmodels- Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Adriana Lima, Laeticia Costa, Milla Jovovich (Who I consider absolutely beautiful!) and Rachel Hunter.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by Dolce
    i dont think supermodels , in the sense that we used to think of them, exist anymore. I dont think there can ever be such a craze over models like back in the day with Cindy, Christy, Naomi etc..all the fashion mags nowadays are putting Renee Zelwegger and other actresses on their covers. theres hardly ever models on there and even if there is, we probably wont know who they are! average americans probably dont even know who Gisele is!
    Couldn't agree with you more- you said it all perfectly. That is so very true about the actress thing! I think right now, the world is obsessed with people like J.Lo (although I don't know why :rolleyes ) and the Hilton sisters and stuff like that.

By the way I hate when they say that J.Lo and Beyonce are great "because they're not waifs and made curves sexy again." Ofcourse the curves are great and sexy when they're in all the right places! :phhht When the little curve is on your butt and not your belly, ofcourse that's sexy! I know all you women feel me on this one....
    Last edited by Citizen Kaos; 03-31-2004 at 08:00 PM.

My little engine says "I think I can, I think I can."
    A supermodel is someone who is a household name. I mean someone that knows nothing about fashion knows who Cindy Crawford is.

citizen.. i know what u mean. the 'curves' are sexy because they work with personal trainers that keep them toned and tight. normal women curves dont count i guess .. oh well lol
    C' tutta una vita in un'ora d'amore.