Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Guide Article with Shandi Sullivan

What Would Janice Do? littlecat's Avatar

TV Guide Article with Shandi Sullivan

Although Yoanna House ultimately won America's Next Top Model, 21-year-old Shandi Sullivan crowned herself the resident drama queen of Season 2. This weepy Walmart clerk was full of true confessions, wasn't she? She told her fellow Model wannabes (and the nation) how unloving her parents are. She told judge Janice Dickinson she had tried drugs, and even robbed a Kansas City candy store back in 2001. She also phoned boyfriend Eric to admit cheating on him with an Italian stud in Milan. Why is Shandi's life such a mess? Only a qualified therapist could really answer that, so here, TV Guide Online just rings her up for some candid dish, Shandi-style.

TV Guide Online: You had such drama on this show. It must be exhausting to be you!
    Shandi: [Chuckles] You have no idea.

TVGO: Why do you think the judges cut you?
    Shandi: I let it fall apart at the end; I wasn't concentrating. I was starting to tell myself, "You don't deserve to win this." I let the stress of everything get to me. My walk wasn't as strong as the other two girls, and you could tell from my photo-shoot picture that I wasn't really there. Before they even made the decision, I knew it was my time to go.

TVGO: Why call Eric during the show to confess your infidelity? Couldn't you have waited to do it privately at home, rather than embarrass him on national TV like that?
    Shandi: I had a whole day to think about whether I wanted to do that. I knew there was going to be pain... I just couldn't hold it in. We were still going to be in Milan for another week after it happened.

TVGO: A week isn't a very long time, though...
    Shandi: No, but I couldn't just not say anything. I was going to call him anyway, and I couldn't pretend that nothing had happened.

TVGO: How are things between you and Eric now?
    Shandi: Things worked out. He's actually sitting next to me right now! We're working on it, but it's alright. It's OK.

TVGO: You were brave to out yourself about the candy-store thing, unlike other reality stars whose past troubles get exposed for them.
    Shandi: I figured everyone would find out. There's always somebody that's curious enough to go that far. It's a part of who I am and I won't pretend it's not. It partly made me who I am today. It happened, I got through it and I'm fine now. So it didn't bother me to tell Janice at all.

TVGO: Didn't it suck when TheSmokingGun.com posted your mugshot?
    Shandi: [Laughs] It's actually pretty funny. My boyfriend ran to my work and said, "You're going to be so mad when you find out somebody's posting your mugshot online." I said, "Well, is it really ugly?" He's like, "Yeah." So I just started laughing. They showed me on TV as this rags-to-riches supermodel, and then here comes this really ugly mugshot of me!

TVGO: You discussed being your family's black sheep on the show. How are relations with them now?
    Shandi: Me and my sisters have gotten a lot closer. I hear from my sisters that my mom and dad are proud of me, but I haven't talked to them since the show started. I think my broadcasting that they were bad parents on television really made them sad. At least I have my sisters. If I didn't have them, I'd be goin' nuts right now.

TVGO: What's next for you?
    Shandi: I'll be moving to New York soon and I hope to get signed by an agency. IMG has the first dibs on all of us [contestants] for the next two weeks. If they signed me, that would be amazing!

This is such a great interview, she is amazing in my opinion to not let what other people say about her bother her. It shows character.

Shandi Rocks!

I can't believe the boyfriend said that "Yeah Shandi you look ugly in that picture!" If my guy said that to me...Well, I wonder why her parents don't talk to her.

Seems as if Eric is as honest as his girlfriend!

Anyhoo, Shandi seems like a cool kid.

Hmm... I wonder what her sisters look like? I bet they look NOTHING like her!

I think Shandi's personality really shows through in this short interview. The lack of vanity, the sense of humor, and the honesty that people loved her for during the show are all here. I love the way she was able to laugh about her mug shot.

I'm surprised, however, that the interviewer would suggest she hide her infidelity, even if, as they claim, it's to spare him embarassment. I still think it was brave of her to go ahead and just do it. It's a mark of her openness with her boyfriend.

Viva la Shandarrr!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

good post!

shandi's the "real deal."

kthxbye.

b

The interview seemed short. Too bad TV guide can't give longer interviews for the new/hot reality contestants.

I think that interviewer was just surprised that she told him over the phone. IMO, if you are going to see the person, infidelity and breaking up are two things better done in person. It is hard to do but it is more respectful and considerate. Some people might not know if they can until they do.

I see what you mean, Eldee, I didn't think about the fact that it was over the phone. You're right, there are definitely some things that are best done in person. Still, I can understand why Shandi wasn't able to keep it in (and being in Italy was an extenuating circumstance)--I know if I were wracked with guilt over something, I would just be tortured and it would play over and over in my head until I could work it out. I think that's what happened with Shandi.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Yeah, she probably felt horrible about it and couldn't keep it in any longer. Also, the guilt from getting mad at him wanting to go to the movies probably sunk in. I liked how she handled the interview though. She seemed to keep a cool head about the questions. Good for her.

FORT Fan
    Excellent interview.

I think Shandi's personality really shows through in this short interview. The lack of vanity, the sense of humor, and the honesty that people loved her for during the show are all here. I love the way she was able to laugh about her mug shot.
    Amen to that.
    Everything that grows holds in perfection but a little moment. - William Shakespeare

And itís all the treasures that shine in the street
    As we drive right over them
    And its all the mornings we missed for sleep
    As the sun glides over our apartment
    And itís all the subtle change in landscape and business
    Reminds you of your limited time
    This time youíll listen to the movement of your body
    How it keeps on despite you and it frightens you
    Cause youíre barely alive
    - Rilo Kiley (Jenny, You're Barely Alive)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast