Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: America's Next Top Model 3

FORT Fan
    I knew a girl in the 8th grade who was 4'9. Her feet couldn't reach the ground because of the chair.. I remember everyone used to poke so much fun of her.

Anyway, I believe the average height for a female is 5'4... Males are around 5'6 I think.
    Everything that grows holds in perfection but a little moment. - William Shakespeare

And itís all the treasures that shine in the street
    As we drive right over them
    And its all the mornings we missed for sleep
    As the sun glides over our apartment
    And itís all the subtle change in landscape and business
    Reminds you of your limited time
    This time youíll listen to the movement of your body
    How it keeps on despite you and it frightens you
    Cause youíre barely alive
    - Rilo Kiley (Jenny, You're Barely Alive)

In fashion, the only reason they are so stringent about model's height & body requirements is that they need a standardized size for the industry. They can't be tailor-making clothes for every type of body for every show or design room. There is a single sample size that every girl has to fit into, to avoid the clothing equivalent of Babel. Anyone who's ever been a bridesmaid knows that a single dress on many different kinds of bodies is one of the circles of Dante's hell.

Now, how the fashion industry arrived at their standard is a whole other discussion altogether. Designers will say that "clothes just hang better" on a certain frame, but of course there are more social and cultural factors at play.

But ANTM has no choice but to abide by industry rules, so shorties like us will have to remain "bridesmaids" while tall girls like Yoanna become the "bride."
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by caramelbeauty81
    I think alot of those really tall girls were probably teased alot for being so tall(for a girl) growing up.
    Yep. Plus the neverending comments of "you should/do you play basketball?" or never being able to find pants that were long enough. Luckily, now a lot of brands have longer lengths too, but when I was going through my teenage years, it looked like I was preparing for a flood most of the time. Nothing fit well, from pants to shirts. It was either too short or too big.

From my own experience, tall girls tend to be self-conscious and will often hunch over instead of walking tall. I used to do that considering I was a good four inches taller than most of my friends. I like being tall now though. I don't feel superior or anything, but it's nice to reach top shelves without having to get a step-ladder.

cali415
    does anyone know how long it takes to get a call back from antm audition.

FORT Newbie
    WHAT DOES THE WORLD WANT?!
    Beautiful quote ^_^

Yeah, I'm understanding a lot of people in this thread. I'm 5'2 and I also was poked fun of a lot by my family, since they're all pretty tall. And sometimes girls have acted like they're better than me just because they're a few inches taller. Who cares? I know I'm not a dog! But definitely if I was tall enough to apply for ANTM, I would. Although, you know I'm sure a lot of girls who are 5'7 (the minimum height to apply) are reluctant or just won't apply simply because they know their chances of winning are slim to none-and Slim just left the building! Okay that was a joke, now everybody laugh. :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by Xephyr
    Yep. Plus the neverending comments of "you should/do you play basketball?" or never being able to find pants that were long enough. Luckily, now a lot of brands have longer lengths too, but when I was going through my teenage years, it looked like I was preparing for a flood most of the time. Nothing fit well, from pants to shirts. It was either too short or too big.

From my own experience, tall girls tend to be self-conscious and will often hunch over instead of walking tall. I used to do that considering I was a good four inches taller than most of my friends. I like being tall now though. I don't feel superior or anything, but it's nice to reach top shelves without having to get a step-ladder.

Working on my posture now is a constant struggle.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

i will do all i can to help with the next season i plan to post directly from the show

i wouldve loved to be on this show.. oh well lol
    C'Ť tutta una vita in un'ora d'amore.

I don't know, I think a lot of height insecurity comes from within. I'm 5'1 on a good day, and it is a non-issue for me. I've never been teased or openly condescended to for my height. If anyone considers me inferior for it, they have kept it to themselves. I have no need to prove that I am just as good as tall people--there never has been any suggestion that I am not. I just don't think it is that big of a deal. The same goes for my hair color--mostly white because I refuse to dye it. Most of the women around here would not be caught dead with a white hair showing. Do I have anything to prove? no. Do they act superior? I haven't noticed. It just isn't a public issue.