Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Top Pet Peeves about the show

Top Pet Peeves about the show

Hi..

I was just thinking about some pet peeves over the show.

Not the individual models so lets keep this thread specifically about the format of the show and judges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Pet Peeve List[/b]

1. The way they call her Ms. Tyra Banks

2. How Tyra and Janice seem to be having this boob fest where they see who can show more cleavage then the other. I'm waiting for one of them to fall out of their tops

3. The way they criticize the girls but don't offer positive reinforcement. For instance instead of saying Mercedes we love you, we think you’re adorable.. they just say .. your commercial... this is what you need to do to be edgier.

4. What the judges criticize while debating isn't told to the girls. For instance Yoanna's less then toned body that Nigel kept harping on. They never said to her.. Yoanna we're amazed at how you've lost weight now lets get your body toned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay.. so anyone else!!!???
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

FORT Newbie
    The contradictions!!! i.e. Catie has "ho" style, but Ty wears a similar outfit (with bad hair color) at the next elimination; Bethany has to hide her chest, while as you said, Tyra and Janice can't show enough; etc. It was irritating to me watching...it must have been extremely frustrating to the girls.

The girls were told to work on some flaw, but I never saw any real assistance being provided to them (like ideas of some things they could do to provide direction) and/or had no time to work on their flaws - like Yoanna needed toning, but when was she supposed to accomplish that? This show portrays itself as a model bootcamp, but bootcamp provides training, not just harsh criticism.

Premium Member
    -Well it started to drive me up the wall to hear Tyra do her "I have X photos in front of me, but I only have Y pictures." No kidding Tyra? I thought you'd have a pic for every girl and then they'd just claw it out amongst themselves in weekly mud wrestling matches to decide who went home.

-Then there was the way Tyra would say "a fashion spread in Jane magazine" in this breathless daze like she was announcing the second coming of christ. Umm I love Jane, it's one of my favorite magazines, but it's not exactly supermodel central.

I know these things were probably scripted parts of the judgment ceremony but still.

-The way Tyra said in the Milan eliminations that the loser would have to immediately return to their Italian apartment and pack. Um which other apartment would they have gone to?

Then there's the way this season turned into the Tyra promotional machine....

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    -Well it started to drive me up the wall to hear Tyra do her "I have X photos in front of me, but I only have Y pictures." No kidding Tyra? I thought you'd have a pic for every girl and then they'd just claw it out amongst themselves in weekly mud wrestling matches to decide who went home.
    You forgot to mention the fake soft little girl voice and the sniffling, as if it was killing her, and sometimes even tears...or almost. Poor woman, I'm not sure how she was able to survive her own show...it must have been devastating.

Then there's the way this season turned into the Tyra promotional machine....
    Amen! But I realized that the show being about the girls is a facade...in reality it IS all about Tyra.

I hated that too. I really could have done without the Tyra video and seeing her lick the mike. Pul-leeze :rolleyes

With Bethany I think it was that she always either stuck out her boobs or pointed them in a way that would get them noticed (it's a mental thing for Bethany and they wanted to get her out of feeling she was only about boobs since they were so big.) Tyra and Janice draw attention to theirs by their clothes not sticking them out. (Janice is a mental case. I'm not sure what she's doing half the time. The Finale party she looked like she was back to posing for Playboy. And how many dern time do I have to see that EXACT same dress on another celebrity!)

I abhored the way the kept calling Janice "The first supermodel" If Tyra didn't announce it Janice would cut her off and shout it. Like she thought, ""If I say it enough it will be true." Janice let it go. There were so many before her, can't think of the name of the one they contibute this too but if no one else Marilyn Monroe was a supermodel WAY before you.

Tyra snotting up before announcing Sara has been eliminated and her whole, "Blah blah blah world judging me blah blah blah" speech.

I hate the first elimination. You have no idea what anyone can really do after one day! Think about Shan-dye. What if she'd been chopped that first day. Anna looked amazing at the party.

Oh and the whole commercial thing... I didn't figure out what that meant until the last episode. Explain yo' self.

I also hate the pics because to me, as a photographer, they suck. There's too much background and not enough model. I've yet to see photos like that in a magazine. You could barely see the girls.

And would someone PLEASE tell Tyra to never NEVER rap again. Girlie you cannot do EVERYthing.

And the stereotypes:
    "Black woman hard as stones and just as emotional" :
    Ebony was as feeling as a rock and the skin of one.
    Robin was emotionally unavailable.
    Kesse was the only one they showed depth on.
    Camille was just evil and manipulating and she had as much feeling as Adam Sandler's "Mr. Deeds" black foot.
    Xiomara is a sweetie but she always had this warrior thing going on and let's not forget the Grace Jones spread. Tyra knew what she was doing.

The Evil or Confused Holier than thou Christians:
    Robin was almost an evil Bible-thumper.
    Shannon was confused and seemed easily lead. Has anyone checked the Burger King's in her hometown?
    And Anna, they tried to paint her as confused by showing her saying it was because of her husband and then saying it was because of her religion. I would love to see the uncut, uneditied version of her dilema and everything she said.

Oh and they also had a ditzy evil blonde thing going this year, can't say much about last year because I got into it a little late.
    But the blondes this year were either stupid, portrayed as little sexpots and/or snobby. And why do they keep picking these blonde haired blue-eyed girls then saying, "You look like the girl next door." The blonde-haired blue-eyed girl always plays the girl next door in movies, and/or the surfer chick. What the hell are ya'll thinking? All of the "top models" look like the girl next door, even Cindy Crawford had that going on, and she's not a blonde. And Shannon was a little short of mental capacity in last season.
    too bad stupidity isn't painful

Amen to the use of intense criticism without guidance! !!!

If these girls had been found in a Soda Fountain in Gary, Indiana and signed up, they would have received ALL the guidance and tutelage that was needed.

Dull teeth? Fixed.
    Body that needs toning? Personal Trainer
    Poor posture? Body Coach

The judges remind me of the worse of parenting: harp on a person's shortcomings, but never help them to over come them.

Maybe next year, instead of such pricey digs, Tyra should spring for a daily personal trainer and life counselor to help these girls through the tough times. It would cost her under $300 a day for a therapist AND a personal trainer.

My personal second gripe comes from the severe, and grotesquely unfair editing of the girls. WHY in the world did we only see the negative of Robin and Camille? I would think as a Black woman, Tyra would make sure that SOMETHING positive from both of these girls could have been included.

And poor April, whom I adore and share the "flaw" of being too analytical: if the girls said that there was April-Lite, why didn't we see it? I resent, strongly the fact that the editors of these shows think that the audience is too dim to make up our own minds if each and EVERY girl showed strengths and weaknesses.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

This is REALLY irritating to me . . .

The way the wording for next week's upcoming show is presented and worded (on the show and on the site).

For example, when Shandi passed out. What it apparently turned out to be was a result of her blood sugar crashing. However, the way it was worded and presented, you would've thought she'd slipped into a coma and died, and that they'd had to call the Coroner's office to send a van to take her remains away. :phhht

Or, for a later example, when Yoanna's shoe heel broke. At first, I was under the assumption that it happened on the runway. Actually, she was lucky enough for it to have happened just as she re-entered the back dressing area, with Nole (I think it was) just barely grabbing her and swinging her around to keep her from falling (Side Thought: This was scary-looking and also --- unfortunately --- turned out to be a funny moment: He looked like a ladybug wrestling a steer! ). :rolleyes

If Tyra and Company haven't figured out by now that they don't need to resort to the histrionics and over-hyping to keep us coming back each week, then they are as stupid as can be.

The way they word and present upcoming events on the shows via the TV editing and clips and on their site is --- IMHO --- insulting to us as viewers.

They've been picked up for two more years. THAT should tell 'em SOMETHING!

That aspect should be toned WAY down, or stopped completely.
    Last edited by ness; 03-27-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Pet Peeve.. Did anyone else notice that Eric from Jane magazine wore makeup?? OMG and that little guy um Nolin.. could he be any stranger with his dog? Why do they make the judges seem so outrageous?

Gotta agree that entire Supermodel thing is getting on my nerves.

And the way they squish the girls into bedrooms. One of the rooms in the loft, the punk funk room, had the beds head to foot. For goodness sakes give the girls some breathing space. Also count the beds.. there are only ten beds, but one of the beds in the blingbling room looks like a queen.. did they make the girls share???? If they did that's just rude.

Loft Tour
    http://www.upn.com/shows/top_model2/loft_tour.shtml
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

Sorry Yaya, but you suck. Kirsten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet
    Pet Peeve.. Did anyone else notice that Eric from Jane magazine wore makeup?? OMG and that little guy um Nolin.. could he be any stranger with his dog? Why do they make the judges seem so outrageous?

Gotta agree that entire Supermodel thing is getting on my nerves.

And the way they squish the girls into bedrooms. One of the rooms in the loft, the punk funk room, had the beds head to foot. For goodness sakes give the girls some breathing space. Also count the beds.. there are only ten beds, but one of the beds in the blingbling room looks like a queen.. did they make the girls share???? If they did that's just rude.

Loft Tour
    http://www.upn.com/shows/top_model2/loft_tour.shtml
    There are actually ten, in the mod room, there's two bunkbeds, you just can't see the top bunk of the second bed. So four in the Punk Funk room, two in the Bling Bling room, and four in the Mod room. Ten.
    Hey Yaya... Shut-up.

Sorry Yaya, but you suck. Kirsten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ness
    This is REALLY irritating to me . . .

The way the wording for next week's upcoming show is presented and worded (on the show and on the site).

For example, when Shandi passed out. What it apparently turned out to be was a result of her blood sugar crashing. However, the way it was worded and presented, you would've thought she'd slipped into a coma and died, and that they'd had to call the Coroner's office to send a van to take her remains away. :phhht

Or, for a later example, when Yoanna's shoe heel broke. At first, I was under the assumption that it happened on the runway. Actually, she was lucky enough for it to have happened just as she re-entered the back dressing area, with Nole (I think it was) just barely grabbing her and swinging her around to keep her from falling (Side Thought: This was scary-looking and also --- unfortunately --- turned out to be a funny moment: He looked like a ladybug wrestling a steer! ). :rolleyes

If Tyra and Company haven't figured out by now that they don't need to resort to the histrionics and over-hyping to keep us coming back each week, then they are as stupid as can be.

The way they word and present upcoming events on the shows via the TV editing and clips and on their site is --- IMHO --- insulting to us as viewers.

They've been picked up for two more years. THAT should tell 'em SOMETHING!

That aspect should be toned WAY down, or stopped completely.
    It's just to make us anticipate the next episode more. It obviously does get excitement, I mean note after one episode the forums are filled with "OMG! I wonder who broke their shoe? Who will be the razorhead? Gah!"
    Hey Yaya... Shut-up.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast