Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Top Pet Peeves about the show

My Pet Peeves

1. Way, way too much about Tyra. I understand its her project, her baby, she's the host, but its supposed to be more about the girls than about Tyra (even though its obviously not). I thought the Tyra stuff was excessive last season, but its getting ridiculous this season. Too much Tyra everywhere, too much Tyra talking about herself, too much of Tyra's relatives. The music video was shameless self promotion, the teary eyed little speech before Sara's elimination almost equally so, especially shameless since Tyra's musical skills are marginal, IMO. Then apparently on the last episode (although it was not shown on TV, thank goodness) she had photo shoots with each of the girls. Of course she can outshine them, she's a professional, they're amateurs! Still, I guess anyone in this profession is a hopeless exhibitionist and attention grabber.

2. That they don't screen out the girls who don't want to get nekkid in advance, or, since they don't do that, that those girls are disadvantaged and get kicked off pretty promptly. I could see this coming as a surprise problem during the first season when no one knew what to expect, but not in the second. Been there, done that, no reruns of this particular scenario needed. The second season hopefuls had to have seen it coming after the first season, and if they had any idea about what the modelling profession is like, they'd know that physical modesty and respect for one's personal space backstage just don't work in this environment.

3. All the relentless product promotions inserted gratuitously throughout the program, no doubt paid for by the companies in question. Why was a smile brightener needed for a girl who wasn't even supposed to smile in her picture?

4. Casting, and by this I am not referring to specific individuals, but to their whole selection process. Its obvious to me that some of these girls don't have a chance in hell of ever modelling for a living, whether because of height, weight, age, lack of charisma or photogenic qualities, or because they couldn't hit a good pose if you held a gun to their heads. Its equally obvious that some may have been chosen because of their personalities (likeable or otherwise), including annoying qualities like thin skin, excessive crying, religious zealotry or sheer bloodyminded antisocial behavior, because it'll make for good TV, rather than for a good candidate for a modelling contract. That might help the ratings, but they do have an obligation to the companies who are awarding the contracts to have the best possible pool of candidates, right?

5. The criticism without assistance, or where there was no possibility of correcting it during the program. If Bethany was too full figured, what exactly could she do about it -- have breast reduction surgery overnight? If Yoanna needed to tone, they didn't figure that out until shooting had started? If Mercedes looked too commercial, why on earth did they leave her with that big head full of bouncy curls and then call her too commercial? Why wasn't her hair slicked down and straightened from the start?

6. Some of the tasks/challenges seemed gratuitous and irrelevant. It seems like in any kind of modelling job, the model is wearing exactly what her employer has chosen for her, from the clothes, accessories and shoes, every little detail. OK, the model needs to know what to wear for a go-see to accentuate her best assets, but there was way, way too much of the "do you know how to dress for a night on the town" stuff, particularly coming from some people who don't know how to dress themselves. Almost every supermodel and actress I've even seen pictures of wearing their own clothes was showing too much skin, too much boob, being less than elegant, wearing something "ho" style, too tight, cheezy, unflattering, or plain ugly. Obviously, good taste in clothes is not a prerequisite for the entertainment profession.

NO REUNION SHOW!!

&

APRIL NOT WINNING!! again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    I guess it's not really their fault all their black women were b*tches, etc. I mean I hear ya, but i guess they're picking from a pile of videos.
    I'm guessing for each year of this show they picked from that year's pile of videos to find the Christians and the blondes they selected, as well.

So, is it not really their fault that pretty much all of their Christians might have turned out to be --- or have been represented to be --- "hypocritical a****les", or the blondes "ditzy c***s?

****No offense meant to either Christians or blondes. Just trying to get a point across nicely, here.****

I enjoy this show and readily admit I'm hooked on it. However, too much Tyra, poor editing choices, confusion in instruction (or no concrete instruction at all) to the participants, etc., are a just a few of the downsides of it. Those are the areas that we're bringing our comments forward on (our "pet peeves", if you will) in this thread. If I'm understanding things correctly, that is.
    Last edited by ness; 03-27-2004 at 09:58 PM.

Put the pieces together Quack-Wabbit's Avatar
    How about the way they were harping on Sara for looking like "she could be in Stuff magazine" when that was actually a photo shoot in the first season?

And might I add, one where Katie's nipples were so blatantly obvious you could put an eye out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    There are actually ten, in the mod room, there's two bunkbeds, you just can't see the top bunk of the second bed. So four in the Punk Funk room, two in the Bling Bling room, and four in the Mod room. Ten.
    Umm that's what I said.. ten beds but 12 girls..
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

Pet peeves of Sianmom

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet
    Hi..
    I personally didn't like the way the finale went. I thought they could have made it a little more exciting, like a "live" fashion show runway version, something where the announcement is more grand. Maybe for number 3. I also didn't like the constant rundown of the prizes week after week, though I do understand why they need to promote them. And the endless array of commericals between the show (again I understand why they need to do this) but UPN is soo bad about it.

I thought that Jay should have been there for the final debate and on the panel from week to week.
    I was just thinking about some pet peeves over the show.

Not the individual models so lets keep this thread specifically about the format of the show and judges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Pet Peeve List[/b]

1. The way they call her Ms. Tyra Banks

2. How Tyra and Janice seem to be having this boob fest where they see who can show more cleavage then the other. I'm waiting for one of them to fall out of their tops

3. The way they criticize the girls but don't offer positive reinforcement. For instance instead of saying Mercedes we love you, we think you’re adorable.. they just say .. your commercial... this is what you need to do to be edgier.

4. What the judges criticize while debating isn't told to the girls. For instance Yoanna's less then toned body that Nigel kept harping on. They never said to her.. Yoanna we're amazed at how you've lost weight now lets get your body toned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay.. so anyone else!!!???

Kirsten it's not a matter of all their black women it's the ones they pick. And I think some of what they give is edited to fit a specific ideal they have. Kinda like real world, after the first season they had a format that was always used. I do feel like they are choosing girls on looks and what will make for the best tv. The "Black Bitch" is a sterotype that is being used. Also the Evil Christian and the Ditzy blonde chick.
    too bad stupidity isn't painful

I'd like to see all the girls bought back when they choose the winner. It's so anti-climatic when the winner is chosen with just two girls present. This year was even worse, last year they unveiled the huge photo of Adrienne, this year we get a little t.v screen with Yoanna's face.

1.) Mercedes' little "im so cute!!! yay!!!!" act, when in reality, she was one of the most two-faced jerks ever.

2.) Catie. just everything about her.

3.) the crying fits.

4.) how tyra rambled on and on witht eh same speech about the prizes before every elimination.

5.) how the majority of the girls didn't know ANY designers.

6.) all the lame misnomers. hello (some) girls, you're in your twenties. educate yourselves.

7.) jay's hair

8.) tyra's shameless self-promotion with the whole music video.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I'd like to see all the girls bought back when they choose the winner. It's so anti-climatic when the winner is chosen with just two girls present. This year was even worse, last year they unveiled the huge photo of Adrienne, this year we get a little t.v screen with Yoanna's face.
    That's because they had more money this season and went high tech!!
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast