Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Yoanna's press appearances/interviews/articles

That girl doesn't look like Yoanna! :rolleyes I can't believe he referred to her as an "ugly duckling." I would have been offended! :phhht And was it just me or was he brushing her off towards the end of the interview? She was going "Okay well, thank you so much-"and he says, "Ok, alrighty then, bye bye!"

Thank you for the link acclyaimed 4 and thanks Kismet for the article!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kaos
    That girl doesn't look like Yoanna! :rolleyes I can't believe he referred to her as an "ugly duckling." I would have been offended! :phhht And was it just me or was he brushing her off towards the end of the interview? She was going "Okay well, thank you so much-"and he says, "Ok, alrighty then, bye bye!"

Thank you for the link acclyaimed 4 and thanks Kismet for the article!
    I think he couldn't make it end fast enough after her "oh, how sad" reaction to his "ugly duckling" comment. He tried to find a way to get out of having basically said that she was ugly before she lost weight, and he was tripping all over himself, and anchors of morning shows don't like feeling stupid, so he just wrapped it up.

He'd been really taking a lot of time and having a great interview with her until that awkward ending. It was good that she stood up for herself, but she did it in a way that made him look stupid...kind of a won the battle but lost the war thing. He may not feel quite as inclined to have her come back after her first Vogue cover now.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Since I am so not a morning person, I would have never tuned in to the Early Show, so I have no idea who that interviewer is, but I thought he was terrible. Yoanna is pretty articulate and charming with almost everyone (that much is clear from watching the series) but I thought her interaction with this guy was awkward. He just seemed like such a stiff old fogey.

Also, how come they're now saying she lost 60 pounds, I thought it was 50 (actually it was 45 at the start of the show). Are they pumping up the number for drama, or are they referring to the fact that she lost 10 more pounds?

Finally, I think Yoanna looked lovely, but for a model she should know not to "double-cross" her legs while seated in a chair like that. Very unflattering.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Yoanna even thinner on Regis and Kelly?

Is it me or was Yoanna looking REALLY thin on her appearance with Regis and Kelly? Her body seemed odd also at the finale party....just wondering if anyone else thinks she is getting too thin.

The Interview

The girl on the Sephora catalog doesn't look much like Yoanna at all, can't see how anyone who is even vaguely familiar with her face could have mistaken that girl for Yoanna. They're both pale skinned brunettes, is most of the resemblance, as far as I can tell.

As for the interview, I feel sorry for Yoanna in a way. I mean, not in the greater metaphysical sense in a world where 3rd worlders die of starvation and easily preventable diseases on a daily basis, but I do feel some empathy for her. She handled the interview much better than Harry Smith did, and he's done it long enough that he ought to have done better. Mistake No. 1: never start an interview by asking a woman on national television how much she used to weigh. Its like asking a man how long he's been balding -- just not a good subject. Mistake No. 2: when the aforesaid interviewee shows demonstrable reluctance to continue discussing all those massive amounts of blubber she's shed, find another subject, any subject, and there were plenty I would have liked to hear about, i.e. did her family suspect she'd won, was she keeping in touch with any of the other girls, what were her plans for the immediate future, etc. Mistake No. 3: don't refer to someone's life as an "ugly duckling" story, thereby implying that they were "ugly". You could have always referred to it as the duckling who grew into a swan, but it was probably best not to go there. Even plump, Yoanna looked a lot better than many Americans. Her response "that's so sad" may not have been the most diplomatic, after all, they're supposed to smile and say thank you even when insulted, but it was genuine, and it was pretty tame given how stupid and thoughtless the remark was. She took it pretty well, and handled it well, considering.

I really hope people will drop the plump girl turned top model angle. I'm sure that people who have lost a lot of weight are flattered and happy when people comment about it, but after a while, the novelty is gone and it probably is very offensive.

Closet Fan. I think you make a lot of good points in your post. I just wanted to respond to one thing you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan
    Mistake No. 1: never start an interview by asking a woman on national television how much she used to weigh. Its like asking a man how long he's been balding -- just not a good subject.
    I was going to say when she asked him how much she weighed, she should have asked him how long his penis is.

DON'T EVER ASK A WOMAN THAT QUESTION!!!
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Give me a place to stand and I shall move the Earth.
    The cat out of the hat? What the hell kind of Dr. Seuss mixed cliche was that?

Orabrooch. You're right, makes her sound like she's been dipping into Janice's medicine cabinet.

Yoanna TV Guide Interview

Yoanna Speaks Out!
    by Daniel R. Coleridge

As expected, Tyra Banks named icy diva Yoanna House the winner of America's Next Top Model in this week's finale. That unpleasant sound you hear is the Shandi and Mercedes fans grinding their teeth in frustration. (Grrr...) Here, TV Guide Online quizzes the 23-year-old ex-baby-sitter on her dramatic 50-lb. weight loss, those eating-disorder rumors, catty competition and her mysterious lookalike!

TV Guide Online: Your clone on Sephora's Spring 2004 catalogue cover made folks peg you as the winner a week early.
    Yoanna: [Chuckles] I don't think she looks a lot like me, but that's what the buzz is. I disagree. I asked everyone who knows me, "Does this look like me?" They say, "No way!"

TVGO: Her name is Cassia. Do you know her?
    Yoanna: No, I actually don't know who she is, but I know Sephora had no idea who the winner was. So it couldn't be me on that cover!

TVGO: Were you bummed that this false clue sort of dampened the surprise of your win?
    Yoanna: [Laughs] No, it's just more publicity for me.

TVGO: Once you reached Top Model's final three, were you sure you'd win?
    Yoanna: I guess it was in question, especially when I was up against Shandi. Toward the end, I felt Shandi was my biggest competition because of her evolution and her metamorphosis and how she photographed really well.

TVGO: Did you mind Mercedes calling you a "bitch" about a zillion times during her interviews in the finale episode?
    Yoanna: [Laughs] I think it's hysterical. It's down to the end and we were up against each other. We get along really well, and that's just her personality. I thought it was cute the way it was done.

TVGO: You were upset when Camille hinted to Tyra that you have an eating disorder. How did you lose the weight?
    Yoanna: Just changing my eating habits, getting a trainer and working out. I'm just being healthy and loving it. As far as the situation with Camille, I just think it's ridiculous. It's making something out of nothing. I don't have an eating disorder. The girls backed me up on that on the show. They all felt bad, like, "Oh, how could someone be so mean to you?"

TVGO: Frankly, the first Model winner, Adrianne Curry, has not been a huge success. Does that worry you about your own chances for reaching supermodel status off this show?
    Yoanna: No, just because Adrianne is Adrianne. She has her agency looking after her. I'm gonna work hard and I know IMG has an amazing management team. They represent some of the most infamous and great models who are doing the biggest campaigns. They're mapping it all out for me. I'm not really nervous.
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sianmom
    Is it me or was Yoanna looking REALLY thin on her appearance with Regis and Kelly? Her body seemed odd also at the finale party....just wondering if anyone else thinks she is getting too thin.

Yup. Scarily so. She's not that far from being Lara Flynn Boyle, and in spite of what Joan Rivers says, that is NOT a good thing.

She didn't just tone up after the show, she clearly lost more weight...at least 10-15 more lbs. Personally, I think it would have been safer to go for liposuction, and I'm not a big fan of plastic surgery.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.