Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is a Top Model?

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    When I first read the name Yamila, I thought you were talking about a Yoanna-Camille hybrid.
    Oh salome!

ClosetNerd makes some really good points. Beyond someone who can get booked, and especially after rough-edged Adrianne, Tyra needed a winner/spokeswoman who could do press for the show. Yoanna is giving good interview, and Tyra's show and the whole perception of being ANTM will benefit. Although I am/was a Shandi fan, I think the Shandster would not have been able to handle Letterman/the Early Show/Regis & Kelly, etc., simply because she hasn't yet learned to think fast, speak eloquently, and handle herself with aplomb when the cameras are running. Shandi (bless her little heart) will do better with a more traditional modeling gig requiring little or no interviewing skills and less pressure to carry the mantle of being ANTM.

FORT Fogey
    Top Model is UNIQUENESS, or a unique face, i.e. GEMMA WARD (she's wit IMG)
    I love her, i love her baby doll face

Last edited by jadedomega; 03-27-2004 at 02:46 AM.

FORT Fan
    Tyra repeatedly said they were looking for someone *versatile*, which I think is key (and for that reason, I also think they made the right choice).

First off, there are different kinds of sexy. Then, super-skinny models are always the preference for runway/high fashion, but the looks that are more commercially popular do change, as is the nature of fashion (and profit). So, Shandi will certainly make money doing shows, where the face isn't so important, but a Sephora ad campaign? No way - Yoanna was definitely the best "face" out of the whole group.

Some of the other girls, as Tyra pointed out, were to "Maxim" sexy - not what they're looking for in shows (other then VS, and if you watch it on telly, besides the few like Naomi, Tyra, Gisele, Heidi, and a couple of others, they do use a number of skinny with no t&a girls who probably do lots of runway, but will never do "Maxim".

Finally, Mercedes was cute and had a positively strong personality, but cute is a little limited in range. I think Yoanna would be the most credible as a spokesperson, and would be the best to sell to the Industry as well as Middle America.

So, I felt that Tyra did not contradict herself: versatility requires that the winner have alot of the capacities that the other girls only had one or two of. A big order, yes, but I think they filled it.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kaos
    ClosetNerd, good points you made there! I understand what you're saying and I agree. But, the super-skinny models are always IN. Shandi seemed like the most likely who "should win" just because she was amazingly skinny! And some of the girls got kicked off ANTM and given some really silly reasons, like "...you're just too sexy," or "too cute". What does Tyra want? She never made it clear and a lot of the time, when she said something, she would end up contradicting herself or saying something silly. For example when she told Heather that she was borderline plus size! That girl was sooo skinny. Or was it just me?

FORT Fan
    do you mean zeitgeist? (zaftig = very large, so am i missing a funny?)

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    One who captures the zaftig of the times.

Sorry Yaya, but you suck. Kirsten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kaos
    Well, I was just sitting here and wondering...what exactly constitutes a top model? Tyra Banks talks all this- er, stuff about what it takes to be a top model. But all I've learned is that the Top Model winner can be neither cute (Mercedes), sexy (Sara), have boobs (Bethany) or look too young (Heather). What is up with that? Because doesn't Tyra fit just about all this criteria?
    Maybe it's got to do with other stuff other then appearances, like attitudes.
    Hey Yaya... Shut-up.

Sorry Yaya, but you suck. Kirsten's Avatar
    Hey did anyone else hear this? I heard that VS doesn't take models with implants, the bras don't fit right or something.
    Hey Yaya... Shut-up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234