Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a Top Model?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Yes, real and fabulous. The push-up bra adds that extra Russ Meyer dimension though, if that's what you're looking at.
    One could hardly help looking there..

I mean I have boobs but mine don't look like those..
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

There, there Kismet...even Adriana's don't look like that without some help. It's amazing what just a little underwire and fabric can do! (Makeup artists also shade the chest to create more cleavage.)
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Haven't seen much of Adriana Lima? Why, please refer to my post in the Hottest Women thread and see what everyone's talking about!

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...postcount=1008
    It's been a while since I've seen a VS catalog.

All I can say is WOW! She's amazing. I can see what the fuss is about.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

shes the kinda girl that makes me think "what happened to me?" lol jk.. but shes so fabulously gorgeous!
    C' tutta una vita in un'ora d'amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kaos
    Well, I was just sitting here and wondering...what exactly constitutes a top model? Tyra Banks talks all this- er, stuff about what it takes to be a top model. But all I've learned is that the Top Model winner can be neither cute (Mercedes), sexy (Sara), have boobs (Bethany) or look too young (Heather). What is up with that? Because doesn't Tyra fit just about all this criteria?

I've been thinking about this since you asked it and I think I have decided on my answer. (tho I'm sure it will be quite incoherent)

The modeling world goes through phases and trends in a regular cycle. Origionally it was only catelogue type stuff, and then it caught on and became it's own industry. In the late 80's there was a big boom in the -I am woman- strong proud- glamazon type model. (See: When super-models ruled the world) From this we got a lot of the one namers: Cindy, Naomi, Linda..
    It was all about Swimsuit bodies on and off the runway. After that came the time of the waifs and CK ads... la Kate Moss. (Scooting in at the end of this era came our very own "Miss" Tyra banks. Lucky for her Sports Illustrated SI was at it's peak and V'S was soon to follow. She was able to get a Name before her body type started going out of style. Following that came a time that I called the Ugly times. It seemed every face in the magazines made me think YUCK!! WTF?! Though, they were supposed to be called "Exotic" Finally the pendulum began to swing once more... This time it swung all the way to Brazil. Giselle and Adriane Lima are just the tip of the Brazilian iceberg but they are the big names right now. Ok so anyway back on track... Right now the Modeling and entertainment industry in general are having a problem with target audiences v Industry people. For example, on one hand America is getting fatter and demanding that Hollywood get fatter too to make them feel better about themselves. And on the other hand people in the spotlight are being scrutinized more than ever by this same public when they put on so much as 5 pounds. Anyway the problem is that designers, photographers and anyone related to putting these images out there have to walk the thin line between the worlds right now because of the less forgiving nature of our times. Women especially are demanding that the models look like "you and I" but complain when they aren't beautiful enough "that one is ugly/plain/fat why did she get a contract. "This one is too dark/Ethnic This other one is'nt ethnic enough so the industry is by nature, Racist." A lot of the more interesting looking models go nameless while they are shuffled through the background deck and a few girls who are able to walk that line get long lasting stable work. It's all about appealing to the most people possible. Josie Maran is a good example. Runway, makeup campaigns, even swimsuit. She's everything, but she's not Too anything.

Some of the girls now are huge in their area. Sara would have blown Up V'S and probably SI too. But as far as Bethany and Heather... well, I still believe that Tyra picked some girls to be on that show just because they would be easier to vote off. Mercedes and Shandi will do great in the fashion world if they want it world so I'm not worried about them. In a way they are actually open to more things now. I believe the show chose the girl who would not only excel at modeling but also who would be the "safest" for them. What I mean is, Ideally the winner will be working quite a lot and generating a lot of buzz for Ty Ty and the show. I think they had to consider the possibility of negative feedback or headlines in the future. Ex: Mercedes Lupus. Would they be able to handle the press down the road if Mercedes got I'll and her Management dropped her? Because as poetic and lovely as they wanted to make you think the business is, it's actually very cutthroat. What about Shandi? How would they handle is if America cried Foul when they chose the skinniest girl on the show... Or what if her past was not dead and gone and she did become one of those models doing lines backstage and partying too hard. 'TOP MODEL IN REHAB' is just the kind of thing to get a show canceled in the much too drawn out wake of "nipple-gate"

Ok I am stopping now because I'm not sure of I am even remotely close to even answering your question.

To sum it up. The criteria for a 'top model' is always changing. Tyra got famous when her form was "in" and frankly it is'nt as big anymore. And that is why she can reject people who look like she does. When you have been around as long as Tyra, people are buying your name not your body.. and the girls on this show don't have a name yet.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Yes, real and fabulous. The push-up bra adds that extra Russ Meyer dimension though, if that's what you're looking at.
    SnowfalkeGirl, you're blue! Yeah, my boobs look like that when I wear any Victoria's Secret bra. It's a pretty site, but when I take the bra off, not so perky!

ClosetNerd, good points you made there! I understand what you're saying and I agree. But, the super-skinny models are always IN. Shandi seemed like the most likely who "should win" just because she was amazingly skinny! And some of the girls got kicked off ANTM and given some really silly reasons, like "...you're just too sexy," or "too cute". What does Tyra want? She never made it clear and a lot of the time, when she said something, she would end up contradicting herself or saying something silly. For example when she told Heather that she was borderline plus size! That girl was sooo skinny. Or was it just me?

FORT Regular
    Heather was slender, but wasn't sooo skinny in my opinion, and I only feel ok saying that because I have her same height and weight and proportions, and I usually wear a size 6-8, while they say the average model sample size is a 0-2. Also, her face was really commercial in a California beach girl way, which is pretty in real-life (very prom queen, cheerleading squad), but can look a little cheesy, like she could be in *maybe* a surf gear ad or something, but definitely not high fashion. Can you picture her turning up the intensity in photos like Mercedes did at the end? She couldn't close her mouth in front of the camera. Maybe I was just really turned off by her "I know I'm so much prettier than those girls" comment when she left! I didn't agree--not for modeling!--she was everyday easy-to-take-in pretty, but not striking or memorable to me.

I've never thought of myself as borderline plus-size either, so I was kind of like "nooooooo!!!" when Tyra said that. Didn't she tell Sara the same thing? Oh well, I might as well bring on the donuts and white chocolate kit-kats and go all the way. . .
    Last edited by barky; 03-26-2004 at 03:31 PM.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    One of my personal favorite models is Laeticia Costa. Gorgeous!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kaos
    ClosetNerd, good points you made there! I understand what you're saying and I agree. But, the super-skinny models are always IN. Shandi seemed like the most likely who "should win" just because she was amazingly skinny! And some of the girls got kicked off ANTM and given some really silly reasons, like "...you're just too sexy," or "too cute". What does Tyra want? She never made it clear and a lot of the time, when she said something, she would end up contradicting herself or saying something silly. For example when she told Heather that she was borderline plus size! That girl was sooo skinny. Or was it just me?

I agree with you that super skinny is always in. Especially in the fashion world. But they did say that the girl can't be just plain fashion, she has be able to crossover to both worlds and rail thin isn't commercial. Tyra is the queen of self contradiction. I firmly believe that Heather and Bethany were there just to be made examples of. Bethany was thin, but in Fashion world plus is anything over a 6 now, and the implants really created the illusion of extra weight. Funny how as the nation gets fatter the plus sized standard is lowered and lowered.

Anyway I do believe they made the right choice in choosing Yoanna for many reasons. She's amazingly beautiful , and the "fat girl" background is really going to allow the larger market to feel like they can identify with a straight sized model, which is Rare.

Mercedes April and Shandi will have no troubles getting contracts.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast