Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Will Yoanna Be Treated in the Fashion World?

Crystal Allen

How Will Yoanna Be Treated in the Fashion World?

I wonder how other 'real' models and fashionistas are going to treat Yoanna. Cruel or not, she is rather old to begin a career that typically starts in one's mid to late teens. She wasn't discovered by an agency or signed when she walked into one. She won a reality show contest on UPN. Nonwithstanding that she was picked by 'real' fashionistas like Tyra Banks and Nigel Barker, does anyone wonder if she'll be subject to derision or ridicule when she appears backstage at a fashion show or if top photographers are going to want to shoot her or if they'll be even MORE critical of her because she's 'that girl that won the UPN reality show.'

Actually all the judges agreed that she had a face that came around once in a lifetime. I think she'll go farther then last years winner.
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet
    Actually all the judges agreed that she had a face that came around once in a lifetime. I think she'll go farther then last years winner.

ITA....yoanna's face is really gorgeous, great structure. i think she can do any runway from high fashion gucci dior etc. down to something funky like betsey johnson or heatherette...we all saw how she rocked in the dsquared show. not all models can do two different types of ranging fashion. like i can't picture models like tyra or giselle doing something like dsquared. so i think she's going to be just fine in the fashion industry.

FORT Newbie
    The problem with Adrienne last year is that the girl is way too honest and in your face to make it without connections in the fashion world. She had character, but the wrong one.

Yoanna on the other hand may be old, but she's educated, well-spoken, and knows what to say and how to say it. I don't see her being a model for long actually, but I'd like her to have a show on the Style network or maybe start her own line.

to the ANTM forum, new/newish folks.

I think Six Degrees makes some valid points here. It's a very real possibility that the bonafide fashionistas might not take Yoanna seriously. The industry is strangely reactionary despite being about innovation, newness, and irreverence.

Yoanna might very well be regarded as the girl who won the little UPN contest (you know the "real" models will never let her live this down)...this just means she'll have to work extra hard to overcome this "handicap". Funny because, the producers portray this show as if it's an open door to success in modeling when, in fact, the opposite might be true.

The real competition for Yoanna starts now: can she get the work, can she hold her own with the pros?

Now that the show's ratings are through the roof, however, maybe the instant publicity factor might make media hungry houses reconsider Yo, who thanks to the show now has semi-celeb status.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Tyra was saying in an interview that she has been flooded with calls from people eager to work with Yoanna, granted she may just be saying this to make herself sound better, i don't remember her saying anything remotely like this last year.. I'd guess Yoanna will be fine, everyone agreed that she was stunning, her photographs all turned out amazing... If you are a photographer, you want to make yourself look good, so why not use a model that *always* photographs stunning?
    "It's still cool to be sane. You're just supposed to be sane and medicated ." - Article from the New York Magazine

!
    Someone (that had been doing some modeling herself) posted on a forum early in the season regarding this issue and last year's girls. I can't remember verbatim what she said; but she had seen a couple of the girls out at go-sees and casting calls. She mentioned Shannon and, I believe, Robin. She said the other girls laughed at them behind their backs because:
    A. They are really pretty old (ancient, even) to be breaking into the industry
    B. They were reality show contestants

As for Yoanna I tend to think, with the popularity of the show this year, winning could work for her in terms of actually getting work, but against her in how other models treat her. They could be resentful of the almost instant buzz these girls have gotten, without having to start out at 13-14 and pay their dues as other girls have done.
    I think the girls this year will have an easier time getting work than Adrienne, who, although lovely and charming in her own harsh way, was not really model material. I tend to think, with the exception of maybe Elyse, Ebony and possibly Kesse (in a swimsuit kind of way) none of last years girls was really cut out for the industry, most were pretty bland. The pictures I've seen of Adrianne aren't really that interesting to me; kind of graceless in a way.
    I think that all of the final 4 girls, from April on, will do pretty well. They are all interesting and unique looking and have built-in followings. How many of you would buy a magazine because your favorite girl from this season was in it? I think Shandi and Yoanna will probably do best in traditional modeling, Mercedes and possibly April I could see breaking into acting.

I remember seeing a documentary on the "reality of reality tv" I think on A&E. They interviewed past reality show contestants who wanted to be actors/actresses/models and most of them talked about not being taken seriously.

However, with some of these models at go-sees, I think there could be more than a pinch of jealousy. While the "traditional" models have been going to go-sees and waiting tables, Adrienne and Yoanna have "won" contracts and bookings. Probably more than one of those other models, tried out and didn't make it for the show. (Remember Catie said that she had been modeling in California...)
    Shaken, not stirred.

FORT Newbie
    The "real models" gonna make fun of her..........body type....skin.....etc.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast