Thread: What's the big deal over a "role model"?

What's the big deal over a "role model"?

After going through a lot of the threads, I think that all the arguments over how Shandi, April, Yoanna, etc., shouldn't be a top model just because they aren't a "good role model" are ridiculous. It seems like if you win the competition, it automatically means that a million young teenage girls will be ridiculously stupid enough (like the "becoming" contestants) to lose all sense of themselves and turn into little zombies that model themselves after you. Get a grip...people are people, and the best type of "role model" is the one who are themselves, cuss words/bad behavior and all. Since when did being a celebrity include the responsibility over some poor girl who's parents never ingrained in her the idea that modeling yourself after a famous person is probably the most ridiculous thing you can do? Admiration for someone's talent is fine, but I'd like to think parents have a better handle on how impressionable there kids are.

haha well the most obvious thing is to sell things. If people like you they will most likely buy the things you were wearing in this commercial or that show.
    So its mostly about selling stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Luvelyai
    After going through a lot of the threads, I think that all the arguments over how Shandi, April, Yoanna, etc., shouldn't be a top model just because they aren't a "good role model" are ridiculous. It seems like if you win the competition, it automatically means that a million young teenage girls will be ridiculously stupid enough (like the "becoming" contestants) to lose all sense of themselves and turn into little zombies that model themselves after you. Get a grip...people are people, and the best type of "role model" is the one who are themselves, cuss words/bad behavior and all. Since when did being a celebrity include the responsibility over some poor girl who's parents never ingrained in her the idea that modeling yourself after a famous person is probably the most ridiculous thing you can do? Admiration for someone's talent is fine, but I'd like to think parents have a better handle on how impressionable there kids are.
    Word, Luvelyai. If we took just ONE week's worth of celebrities from PEOPLE magazine, Good Lord: drugs, rehab, divorce, cheating, more drugs...and these people are pulling down 1 million to 10 million dollars per film!

These poor girls on ANTM haven't even seen a check hit the bank yet; I'll give them as much latitude as I do Jude Law or Nicole Kidman.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat