Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Analagous to Last Season's Girls"

Sorry Yaya, but you suck. Kirsten's Avatar
    Argh! WHY WON'T QUOTES WORK?
    Hey Yaya... Shut-up.

Crystal Allen

This Finale was Identical To Last Season's !!!!

For everyone that saw last season's finale. This was practically the same thing! The first of the three eliminated is the one with the obvious best model potential, Shandi had the best figure and was virtually never criticized by any of the judges at all during the show. Suddenly, she's 'not a clutch player' and her 'edgy beauty shot' is missing something. Off she goes. Then remember the Baby Phat show in last year's finale, Shannon was shown doing an amazing job during the fashion show, almost portrayed as the 'emergence of Shannon.' Same thing happened with Mercedes last night, Tyra went on and on about how she'd finally become "edgy" and everyone agreed how fabulous she was during the fashion show. Then we hear the judges talking about how Mercedes nailed the fashion show, proved she could be versatile, was a natural walker, and had the personality of a top model. But Yoanna wins because she really really really wants to. Just like we heard about how Adrienne had been trying for years to be a model, had been scammed by fake modeling agencies and contests, and now even though the other girls were better models, Adrienne wanted this soooo badly, that she gets to win.

Mercedes blew Yo away. No contest. Either they've decided that the "fashion queen" deserves it more, or Tyra was eliminating major competition. Or both.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2

Mercedes blew Yo away. No contest. Either they've decided that the "fashion queen" deserves it more, or Tyra was eliminating major competition. Or both.

That is what puzzles me.

Shandi just wasn't model material. Plain and simple. Sure, she has a model's figure and she's blonde but, that's it. She didn't know how to walk properly or pose effectively.

Yoanna has no rythm as shown from the music video, she faltered in the test walk, and, sorry to say, she's so blah. She doesn't stand out.

Mercedes nailed everything. She strutted properly, she has the personality and the looks. If I didn't know any better I thought Dan and Dean where going to jump up and grab her to make her their own!

I think that Mercedes and April got severely ripped off.

I think that you can construct analogies between any two girls on this show if you try hard enough. I do see a certain pattern in eliminations, but Shandi=Elyse, Mercedes=Shannon, Yoanna=Adrianne? No, I don't think so. All six of these girls are very different and were eliminated when they were for different reasons.

Mercedes really uped her game in last night's episode, in some ways she performed much better than Yoanna, but I don't think she lost to Yoanna simply because she didn't want it as much. To me, Yoanna is such a striking beauty, the judges would be stupid to ignore that. In my eyes, she and Shandi were the only ones with that extra something to set them apart (last season it was Elyse)... as promising a model as Mercedes is, I can't imagine her holding the title of ANTM. I still think she's a wonderful, however, and think she will do well for herself.

This show is edited a certain way. I mean, they wanted to make it look like the judges thought Mercedes was hot stuff all of a sudden, but the panel probably said more negative things about her than were aired. It's easy to be swayed by the judges' comments (they affect my own perceptions a lot), and I think that has a lot to do with the sudden outpouring of "Mercedes should have won" comments here when not that many people seemed to be avid fans before.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salome

This show is edited a certain way. I mean, they wanted to make it look like the judges thought Mercedes was hot stuff all of a sudden, but the panel probably said more negative things about her than were aired. It's easy to be swayed by the judges' comments (they affect my own perceptions a lot), and I think that has a lot to do with the sudden outpouring of "Mercedes should have won" comments here when not that many people seemed to be avid fans before.

Well I was thinking that there HAD to have been more praise from the judges for Mercedes throughout the contest that didn't make it on air. I find it hard to believe that she just suddenly blew everyone away in one episode. I got very caught up in it myself, found myself cheering for Mercedes when I wasn't into her before. I didn't dislike her at all, just wasn't rooting for her I guess. I don't think I'm the only one either, heck our Mercedes thread here went 2-3 weeks without posts while Shandi's grew and grew.

I wonder why, though? Why make a sudden huge deal out of her like that?
    Last edited by geekgirl; 03-25-2004 at 05:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12