Thread: Tyra Explains the Judging Criteria

Anti All Things CoverGirl

Tyra Explains the Judging Criteria

Close your eyes and take a journey with me, back into the past. Before the photoshoots, before the makeovers, before the lessons and the practicing and the contests. Back to the very first episode - the very first time the girls appeared before the judges. Back to when Tyra herself laid out the judging criteria for us.

"Now there's a couple of things that you guys are gonna be judged on. First, you're gonna be judged on what you just straight walked in here with - that's your natural talent. Then you're gonna be judged on your potential, also your personality. The fourth thing is your ability to be versatile in the fashion industry. I'm looking for somebody who is edgy and editorial and high fashion, and I'm looking for someone who can smile and sell toothpaste. And the last thing is your performance in your photoshoots."

As we all speculate about who the winner will be, lets use the criteria we've been given.

1. Natural Talent
    2. Potential
    3. Personality
    4. Versatility
    5. Performance in the photoshoots

NOW, who do you think will win?
    Talk amongst yourselves.

I put about as much credibility behind her words as nothing.

They've been talking out both sides of their mouth since the competition began.

Crystal Allen

"toothpaste"

I forgot about the reference to 'selling toothpaste' but I guess that explains the constant reference to it when they talk about Mercedes. It's almost a metaphoric thing, "she can sell toothpaste."

Quote Originally Posted by PJinNH
    I put about as much credibility behind her words as nothing.

They've been talking out both sides of their mouth since the competition began.

It screams-SCREAMS! Mercedes! If Mercedes doesn't win, I'm gonna be maddd! I can't wait till tonight. The wait is driving me crazy! I just know I'm gonna be glued to the t.v. tonight.

What Would Janice Do? littlecat's Avatar
    As we all speculate about who the winner will be, lets use the criteria we've been given.

1. Natural Talent
    2. Potential
    3. Personality
    4. Versatility
    5. Performance in the photoshoots

NOW, who do you think will win?
    Talk amongst yourselves. [/QUOTE]

i can definitely see why the judges are shown whining, err, commenting on how hard it is to choose, i can't call a winner in categories 4 and 5, but as for as
    1: shandi, then yoanna (based on their performance/understanding demonstrated in Milan photoshoots)
    2. shandi, then mercedes (sorry, but yoanna is too old really)
    3. mercedes
    4. versatility: this is tough, i kind of see them equal, but yoanna is a little bit ahead? (but shandi and mercedes seemed to do really well on film for the commercial and video, where yoanna didn't seem as strong)
    5. performance in shoots: WOW, they all have strong portfolios, with different strengths and the same weakness: the quench ad