Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to be...America's Next Top Model

How to be...America's Next Top Model

Does anyone know how any one of us simpletons () could become a top model? Like what are some things we could probably do?

Also, I would like to get my nephews into modeling. They are extremely handsome kids who follow direction very well. Any tips/ideas how to get a portfolio/get them signed?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    Does anyone know how any one of us simpletons () could become a top model? Like what are some things we could probably do?

Also, I would like to get my nephews into modeling. They are extremely handsome kids who follow direction very well. Any tips/ideas how to get a portfolio/get them signed?
    well...all i cna say is you're either born with it. or you'r enot. you need to have the rioght proportions, obviously, the height, a unique face, the right attitude, an eye for posing, and the majority of the time, you really just have to be in the right place at the right time. there are tons of girls who are top model material who never make it because they simply do not have the lucky timing. but hard work in getting your name out there and working on a portfolio is definitely needed to even have a chance. show business is insanely difficult to break in to, and above all, it requires tremendous tenacity.

as for your nephews...shop around for a good, but local agency. you don't want to have little kids traveling all around for modeling at such a young age. use it to earn some extra money for their education, etc., and if it evolves into something else, wonderful, but if not, you don't want them to be so impacted that they find it heartbreaking.

Oh, wow. Thank you! *beams*

Positum already gave you a lot of good, sound advice. I just want to add to any aspiring models, PLEASE DON'T FALL INTO ANY OF THOSE MODEL AGENCY SCAMS, like the Barbizons or the so-called "agencies" advertised at the back of magazines or newspapers. Any place that asks you to pay exhorbitant amounts of money to get photos done or for fees or services is not a real agency. Do research on what the legitimate agencies are in your area. Taking a little bit of extra time to do research could save you much money and heartache.

GOOD LUCK!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

You have to have a unique personality, you have to look pretty, and your personality can't be too roboticlike, you have to walk right, you have to pose right, and other stuff.

let's see...hmm (taps chin thoughtfully) how to be ANTM?
    You can't be:
    ....too shy
    ....too busty
    ....too short
    ....too independent
    ....too fat
    ....too sexy
    ....too bitchy
    ....too mechanical
    ....too commercial

Well then no one on the show can be America's Next Top Model then, Pj!!

Well, almost no one, Frostelized--there can only be one America's Next Top Model, remember? Uno, Baby!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Regular
    I hate to be redundant, but I have to second SFG on the scam thing. BE CAREFUL! A real agency will not make you pay to sign or to be made over or really even to have photos taken. If they think you truly have it, they will utilize you and refine you to make you work for their potential clients. I remember in the UPN chat with Janice someone asked (and I paraphrase), "If a girl has the the right look, won't an agency sign her based more or less on that alone and take care of teaching her how to walk, pose, and style herself later?" And Janice said yes. Simple as that. Agencies do not advertise themselves--you must look them up and contact them. Some have open calls, but these are not to be confused with the open calls of scam organizations where they give you a lecture on who they represent and what it takes to be a model. At a real agency, you will be in and out, answer a few questions and maybe be asked to walk. Either that or be one of the models literally stopped in the street by an ACTUAL scout/director of one of these agencies. Try sending your snapshots (NOT glamour shots, not overly made-up or posed) to real agencies--this is safe enough and requires no financial commitment (I believe this is how Maggie Rizer was discovered, but I may be wrong). Do your homework. In NYC, at least, there are oodles of scams: they hire "scouts" to walk around the streets handing out cards and saying something like "I noticed your smile" or "you are just what we are looking for." And a lot of them try to convince you that they have a huge niche for petite/average height and plus-size models, which simply is not the case. Sure, the more average-sized girls you see in JC Penny's ads or whatever probably have some representation, but they will never make it to the pages of Vogue or whatever these "scouts" brag that their organization has done for so many other hopeful models. Sorry to rant, and this completely lacks any logical order, I know. I'm just sensitive to the whole thing because I got sucked in for a few months to one when I was 19 and it was DREADFUL! I felt like such a sucker. (And I'm not a sucker; I'm a smart girl!) Do your homework and take someone with you no matter what your age. And look at yourself as realistically as possible. You are probably beautiful beautiful young things, but remember there is real-life, in-person beauty and then there is the photogenic, almost strange beauty. A lot of models ride the elevators in the building where I work and/or can be seen walking down the street (it's in SoHo, so lots of stores and photo studios and etc. around the area), and seriously, when you see these girls in person, it is very clear that they are genetically different--very tall, VERY thin, very striking facial features, often not conventional beauties at all.

Ah, I'm done. Just be careful. As a fellow human being, not to mention ANTM obsessor, I care about your dignity and well-being!

love Barky, the non-sucker smart girl who cares
    Last edited by barky; 03-22-2004 at 12:46 PM.

FORT Newbie

Polaroids!!!!

If you want to model first step is getting very simple no make-up polaroids in a bikini. Have a friend take a headshot, profile, and full-body shot. Then write down you stats (measurements, height, hair color, eye color, dress size, shoe size).

Then visit a site that has an agency list (I have a few urls, but it won't let me post since I'm new) and submit you pics to agencies. Or you can go to an open call. If you live in the middle of nowhere and aren't likely to move check out local agents, otherwise try submitting to NYC, Miami, or LA depending on which is closest to you. If you plan to "top" model you'll likely have to move.

Most agencies for straight fashion modeling like gals at least 5'8 (usually 5'9") bust 34, waist 24, hips 34. That translates into a size 4 typically. If your hips exceed 36 it is extremely unlikely that you'll get signed. Unless you are going for plus, that's a different story entirely. If you need info on that let me know.

There is very little point in starting a portfolio without an agent's guidance. It's far more involved than the tv show indicates, and really has a lot to do with how your booker wants to market you.

As for the kids, kids modeling is tricky, but with them same general idea except you want to send a picture demonstrating how "cute" they are. Not all agencies have a kids division so be sure to check with them.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info.
    ~Melissa
    P.S. I agree stay away from modeling schools, the only money you should spend to model is for a composite and test shots (some agencies will front you the money if they believe you can work soon). Oh, and the gals in JC Penny's make good money for that work! Catalog and ads are where the $$ is at in the business. Vogue (I kid you not) pays a flat day rate of $150. Why? Because it's a great addition to your portfolio and you get catalog work off of it.

That's what they meant when telling Shandi she might be able to do more than be a poor fashion girl.

Oh yeah and one more thing. MOST models get discovered by submitting polaroids to agencies or going to an open call. That is the REALITY, despite what the media says.
    Last edited by lissamaye; 03-22-2004 at 12:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast