Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to be...America's Next Top Model

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by PJinNH
    let's see...hmm (taps chin thoughtfully) how to be ANTM?
    You can't be:
    ....too shy
    ....too busty
    ....too short
    ....too independent
    ....too fat
    ....too sexy
    ....too bitchy
    ....too mechanical
    ....too commercial
    And let's not forget

...too smart

FORT Regular
    Oh I don't really know about the payment for Vogue vs. catalog work--I have a friend who modeled for J. Crew several times and was only paid in gift certificates. You are probably right though Lissamaye. I just meant these people promise big-time glamorous paying gigs when in reality they can't and won't even get you minimal catalog work. (I'm talking scams like eModel, which has changed their name about 5 times by now if they're even still around, which is another sure sign of a scam--why would a company change their name every year unless they were worried their dirty little secrets would leak out?)

I used to have a web site with a modeling tips page. I still have the tips page saved on my computer here it is, I hope it helps. Some of it will help you with getting your nephews started such as "how to get started." If your nephews are young in modeling kids can be any height.

People ask me all the time "How do I get into modeling"
    Well I'm going to tell you here.
    If you're dreaming about becoming a "Supermodel" keep in mind that "Supermodel" Doesn't stand for well known model it is actually a term that stands for a model that makes over a million dollars a year. There are so many "Supermodels" we've never even heard of. Also keep in mind that models can be any height, weight and age. Different agencies look for different things.

STANDARD MODELS:
    The standard for a model is usually 5'9 and over. A girl who is 5'8 1/2 can walk into an agency and be turned away for being too short. Another agency may take a girl who is 5'8 1/2 but she may be the shortest girl there. Most average models are used for runway. They're supposed to look somewhat like a walking mannequin. But as you've most likely noticed your average model can work in all areas of the field.

PETITE MODELS:
    Petite modeling usually starts at 5'2 and goes up to 5'7. Some agencies may represent someone who is even shorter. Kate Moss who is 5'7, Jaime Rishar who is 5'6 and Bijou Phillips who is 5'5 all made it through to be some of the shortest "Supermodels".They are the exception not the rule. It's really hard to get to that point being a petite model but it's obviously not unreachable.

PLUS SIZED MODELS:
    Plus sized models make a great amount of money. Plus sizes in modeling usually starts at size 12 and goes up from there. They are in high demand now with magazines such as GRACE and catalogs such as Lane Bryant. Designers including Tommy Hilfiger and Liz Claiborne have added plus sizes to their lines. Kate Dillon is one of the most successful plus sized models who made the transition from standard to plus sized.

SPECIALTY MODELING:
    Specialty modeling is basically parts modeling. For instance when you see a hand with a ring on it in the Kay jeweler catalog but you don't see who the hand is attached to. You see legs in commercials and adds for razors and shaving cream/gel and so on. Specialty models have to take very good care of the part they sell with. A hand model usually gets many manicures and never does dishes. Some even wear gloves most of the time. Specialty models as any other model can make a great amount of money.

HOW TO GET STARTED:
    For local agencies, Look in the yellow pages and call the agencies that look good to you. Ask them if they have open calls or if you should send snap shots. NEVER do a school thing like Barbizon. They won't teach you much and you'll only waste a lot of time and money. After you've picked the agencies you want to try. Check online and with the better business bureau. Do as much research as you can. Once you've found an agency that has a great background then go in/send photos. If you go for an interview dress very classy and NO jeans or t-shirts unless they say otherwise. If you send snap shots write your measurements [bust/waist/hips] also add your height and weight, shoe size and contact info such as your email address, telephone number, and mailing address on the back of every photo. Remember snap shots should also be classy but casual. Too many girls sex up their photos and that never looks good in the eyes of an agency. It's always good to send a self-addressed stamped envelope along with your snap shots so they can send a letter and your pictures back. If you want to try a top agency such as Ford or Elite you can look them up online and send snap shots along with all of your info. NEVER send an agency professional and /or touched up photos. They want to see what you truly look like.
    NEVER pay a lot of money for a portfolio a lot of agencies will pay for it for you because [Although they should never make promises] they know they can get you work therefore they make the money back. Your portfolio never belongs to the agency. It's always yours. A lot of people think they need a portfolio before they go to an agency and that's not true at all.
    Also STAY AWAY from online agencies such as TCT also known as Wilhelmina scouting network [They're the biggest scam since Barbizon] thay make you pay money just to have your photo on their site. It's a waste of money when all you have to do is contact an agency yourself for free. Like I said before NEVER do the whole modeling school thing. They're just like charm schools. You don't need them to be a model and they just take up a lot of time and money.
    Also STAY AWAY from model searches such as Proscout. I had a friend say to me that she knew somebody who got a job [one job] going to their search. That doesn't mean they're not a scam. This is what they do. You go to a free local search, they pick a few people at the local then they sit you in a room and sometimes tell you modeling costs money which is not true. Then they ask you to pay hundreds sometimes thousands of dollars to attend their regional event where you meet some people from the industry. Hundreds of guys and girls from around the region go and only a few if any will get any call backs [work]. They're a waste of money. Also The International Modeling and Talent Association [IMTA] Work directly with Barbizon and ask for thousands of dollars for people to attend. The same thing very very few if anybody at all that attend with get any call backs. It's more of a very expensive talent competition. Waste of money.
    Last not least stay away from those so called modeling sites that you sign up for free and put your photo up on such as one model place. You never know who is looking at and may be taking your photos. Not to mention agencies and good clients are very unlikely to look there through the thousands of portfolios. Since top agencies get loads of photos a day mailed to their office they don't need to go to these sites and good clients go straight to the agencies. Don't waste your time.
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 03-22-2004 at 02:11 PM.

FORT Regular
    "Last not least stay away from those so called modeling sites that you sign up for free and put your photo up on such as one model place. You never know who is looking at and may be taking your photos. Not to mention agencies and good clients are very unlikely to look there through the thousands of portfolios. Since top agencies get loads of photos a day mailed to their office they don't need to go to these sites and good clients go straight to the agencies. Don't waste your time."

Good point Dreamcatcher! I forgot to mention that.

Now I'm really done with this topic. It just disgusts me how unethical and creepy people can be, all in the name of the holy dollar.

My little engine says "I think I can, I think I can."
    Well, it don't help to be too "Christ-like". ....Just ask Robin and Anna.

Quote Originally Posted by barky
    "Last not least stay away from those so called modeling sites that you sign up for free and put your photo up on such as one model place. You never know who is looking at and may be taking your photos. Not to mention agencies and good clients are very unlikely to look there through the thousands of portfolios. Since top agencies get loads of photos a day mailed to their office they don't need to go to these sites and good clients go straight to the agencies. Don't waste your time."

Good point Dreamcatcher! I forgot to mention that.

Now I'm really done with this topic. It just disgusts me how unethical and creepy people can be, all in the name of the holy dollar.

I couldn't agree more. It disgusts me as well how sick people can be when it comes to money and peoples dreams. I'm done with the topic myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    Any tips/ideas how to get a portfolio/get them signed?
    Well, looking for a legitimate agency can be tricky. I would suggest maybe talking to some photographers. Ask them about legit agencies, modeling etc. Sometimes talking to models and photographers and the sort is a better route. Aslo, when you've found an agency, ask them for some models of theirs that you can contact and ask some questions. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12