Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Top Model" Blows Off Steam

"Top Model" Blows Off Steam

"Top Model" Blows Off Steam

Fri Mar 12, 2:10 AM ET
    By Sarah Hall

Boobgate backlash continues to rock Tyra Banks' America's Next Top Model.

First UPN edited the show's Website, cropping full-body shots of the aspiring models clad only in body paint to show only their faces.

Now Banks has reportedly been ordered by UPN to edit out steamy sections from next week's episode, which featured some of the women cavorting with a number of men in a manner inappropriate for a family network.

Promoted as the "orgy" episode, the wannabes were followed around Milan, as they worked on a fashion show.

Four of the aspiring catwalkers apparently met up with some appealing local fellows at a party--and from there, raging young hormones took over, culminating in an eight-way gropefest.

While there was never any plan to air the so-called orgy in its entirety, UPN was expected to show enough to make clear what happened.

Last week's provocative promos showed one contestant tearfully admitting her indiscretions over the phone to her boyfriend back homes in the States.

Maybe she never needed to come clean--looks like he'll never see the evidence.

Sources close to the show said the cuts were ordered "very recently," according to the New York Post.

No word from the network or from Banks regarding the edit order, but it's doubtful Banks is pleased with the cuts.

Back in January, Banks touted her contestants' racy behavior to late-night host Conan O'Brien.

"My girls on the show were doing the nasty," she crowed. "There's eight people making out at the same time kind of in the same vicinity. I don't want to say orgy--but I just said it."

Alas, in a nation operating under wardrobe malfunction orange alert, even pixilated orgies have no place on television.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Alas, in a nation operating under wardrobe malfunction orange alert, even pixilated orgies have no place on television.
    This quote had me ... that's hilarious

What Would Janice Do? littlecat's Avatar
    As a censorship issue, I think it's ridiculous to place restrictions on the show's content. Unlike the infamous superbowl "wardrobe malfunction," Top Model isn't broadcast live and the show's producers are completely in control of the content. Based on the previous season and this season's already broadcast episodes, it appears that the producers would not broadcast anything inappropriate for television (if anything, they tend to hype the show's interpersonal "drama," only to deliver "much ado about nothing."

Both the network and the producers have the opportunity to give viewing audiences advance notice of possible "adult" content, which has been done in this case. Beyond that, viewers and parents have a responsibility to research a show before they watch or allow their children to watch this show or any show on tv.

As a content issue, who cares if they remove the orgy scene? In my opinion, the best parts of the show deal with the nuts and bolts of the fashion world; the makeup, the clothes, the photography, the modeling and all of the work that goes into these things. I am not that interested in the supposed drama between the contestants, which has been pretty weak really. Even Camille's possible attempt to sabotage Yoanna by implying she had an eating disorder was half-hearted at best.

If the producers feel like they must show an "orgy scene," I would hope that the decision is made because the action would have some effect on the outcome of the contest (i.e. the emotions involved were too great for one contestant and she dropped out) and not just to allow viewers to watch an individual's difficult reconciliation of a youthful indiscretion.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecat
    As a content issue, who cares if they remove the orgy scene?
    I do! Call me shallow, but I have been looking forward to the orgy since Tyra first hyped it at the start of the series!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Wow, I can't believe you'd rather not see the orgy. I enjoy the drama somewhat, I must admit. Yes, the professional aspect of this show is one of the things that makes it great, but the drama can contain some real gems - especially the funny ones!

Snowflake Girl,
    (I hope I'm right about this... )

Thank you, Salome, it is indeed my bday! That's sweet of you to think of me.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

What Would Janice Do? littlecat's Avatar
    i should clarify: i don't object to the orgy scene, i am just indifferent, the "dicey/sexy" previews for the upcoming show(s) are always more intriguing than the actual show, why should this be any different?

I do agree that the dramatic bits are funny and frankly, i hadn't really considered that when i went on my tirade.

while i don't object to the showing of some of the more emotional parts of the show, (they usually humanize the contestants and make them more endearing), i do think that showing Shandi's post-affair emotional state has a lot of potential for being in bad taste. I haven't seen it yet, so i won't make a judgment, but that's a situation that is very difficult to go through and one where a little compassion goes a long way. something that television in general does not provide.

PS. Happy birthday Snowflake Girl!
    Last edited by littlecat; 03-15-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: to add a post script

Thanks, Little Cat!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNOWFLAKEGIRL
    Do i love you because you're beautiful? Or are you beautiful because I love you?

OMG, SoCalQT, that's so cute! Sorry to threadjack, mods, but I have to thank all these dear people.

Maybe to bring this back to topic, I can call this my "birthday orgy"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast