Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos from 3/2 Episode (Solstice)

FORT Fan
    also, why should people be defined by their race in the first place? you can't choose it. yes it does play a very big part in making you the person you are, but you aren't your race. you can have a separate identity from that.

i don't agree with the statement that race makes people special, or sets them apart. people who are practicing racists feel that way too. (i am not trying to say anyone on this board is racist, just merely stating my opinion that we should not define people as their race, or call them unique based solely upon skin color).
    Hear hear.
    Everything that grows holds in perfection but a little moment. - William Shakespeare

And itís all the treasures that shine in the street
    As we drive right over them
    And its all the mornings we missed for sleep
    As the sun glides over our apartment
    And itís all the subtle change in landscape and business
    Reminds you of your limited time
    This time youíll listen to the movement of your body
    How it keeps on despite you and it frightens you
    Cause youíre barely alive
    - Rilo Kiley (Jenny, You're Barely Alive)

Quoate "i don't agree with the statement that race makes people special, or sets them apart. people who are practicing racists feel that way too. (i am not trying to say anyone on this board is racist, just merely stating my opinion that we should not define people as their race, or call them unique based solely upon skin color).[/QUOTE]

I never said it is someone's race that makes them special. I said it is their ethincity that makes them special. It is a common mistake to mix up the two words. Race refers to someones physical appearance ie White , Black; whereas, ethnicity is refers to someones cultural background, beliefs, language etc..- it is more a cultural definition not physical. Anyways,all I wanted april to do is to embrace her ethinicity- be it European or Japanese- I was not refering to her skin colour.

And I still think a person's ethncity albeit not the only thing that makes a person special.

but that ethnicity is still attached to race. just because she is of the japanese race doesn't mean she grew up in a home where that culture or languaged is practiced.

yes, ethnicity is separate from race, but unfortunately ethnicity is still attached to race because we tie cultures, beliefs, and languages to the way people look, regardless of how they were actually raised.

and why should the way people think or believe or speak be limited to what their skin looks like? why can't people embrace the beliefs they want, speak the languages they want and embrace cultural traditions they want to embrace? just because april has japanese ethnicity does not mean she needs to embrace a japanese culture she may feel no connection to.

not that i know of the cultural background of shandi or yoanna, but for the purposes of my analogy, lets jsut say yoanna is swedish- some of you speak about april as if you would like to see her in a kimono all the freakin time, imagine if caucasians were the minority in the good ol US and i complained about yoanna not more recieving of her heritage and was lookin for her clogs to be on everytime she was on screen? and i always put her down because she doesn't have clogs on all the time like all caucasian people of swedish descent should.

Snipes...Wesley Snipes. BlushOnTehCheek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by withoutasol
    not that i know of the cultural background of shandi or yoanna, but for the purposes of my analogy, lets jsut say yoanna is swedish- some of you speak about april as if you would like to see her in a kimono all the freakin time, imagine if caucasians were the minority in the good ol US and i complained about yoanna not more recieving of her heritage and was lookin for her clogs to be on everytime she was on screen? and i always put her down because she doesn't have clogs on all the time like all caucasian people of swedish descent should.

April isn't rejecting her "ethnicity" by not wanting to be labeled as Japenese. She is of both caucasian and oriental decent. She was raised in a more Americanized culture which she proabably feels is more closely related to her caucasian heritage. No, I'm not confusing race and ethnicity; They are just more closely related than you think, christosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by withoutasol
    Um actually ANTM did put her in a distinctive oriental outfit, (okay bodypaint.. but it looked like clothes by the time they were done) and April looked beautiful. I think its one of her best photos.

I think the problem here is not how we perceive April but how the judges do. Janice made it a point of bringing up April's heritage and April became very defensive proclaiming herself to be ďAmericanĒ. I believe she lost points with the judges because of this and she knew it.. the next show showed a complete reversal in her attitude. Instead of being "American" she was suddenly Japanese American. What bothered me how because it was suddenly to Aprilís advantage she was suddenly using her ethnicity. She even made a point of saying to one of the other girls that Ms. Tyra told her that she had a better chance at winning because she had the Asian look, which is rare in models.

Keeping in mind editing of the show is also probably playing up the whole Asian look as well. They made it a point when she was on the go-see to have the agent ask her what she was. Actually I think I was more offended by the way the question was phrased.. something like.. what are you?? Like she was some alien or something. Perhaps itís just so rare to see a woman of mixed Asian heritage in modeling that they didnít think. I donít fault April. She wants to win and if embracing her Japanese heritage puts her at the top then good for her. I hope she comes out of this whole thing knowing she is a unique and beautiful person.

Although ANTM needs to break out of the pigeon hole they seem to putting her into. Theyíre toting her as their Asian model and comment on it all the time. I donít think sheís robot April either.. Although sheís very serious and sometimes having that much focus is negative.. especially when the judges keep telling you over and over again to loosen up. She needs to smile more and stop focusing on the win.

Oh and as far as the difference between Shandi and April.. April has worked in a real job and developed a business like attitude, which Shandi at 21 works in Walgreens. April is more serious because sheís had to be for people to take her seriously. Frankly I commend her to give up a paying job to go for this must have been very difficult for someone with the kind of drive she has.

Oh and as far as Caucasian females, such as myself embracing their ethnicityÖ well its hard to do since Iím Irish, English, Scottish (fathers side) and Polish, Ukrainian (mothers side) Iím named Kelly Moira (Moyra) I married into a half English half Ukrainian family .. I moan to my husband all the time for sticking me a name no one can pronounce (Top-il-nit-ski). Personally if I werenít a mutt and my family was Irish I would embrace my ethnicity.. However I do embrace my polish side with cooking (my grandmother.. may she rest in peace was full polish and taught me how to make ethic dishes.) My mother in law, who is English but cooks Ukrainian has taught me over the years to enjoy the Ukrainian side of life (My father in law was very proud of his heritage).. including celebrating Ukrainian Easter (Russian Easter) We also attend the Greek Ukrainian church and have the Easter baskets of food blessed and participate in a blessing done by the Ukrainian priests.

So I embrace part of my heritage and love all things Celtic.. so I figure this makes up for my other half.
    Last edited by Kismet; 03-06-2004 at 08:44 PM.
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by starrylea
    april ISN'T denying her race, or her identity. she is refusing to only embrace one part of her identity. people keep saying to her, "you are asian, you are asian" and april responds "yes...but I am also irish, danish, german" (i can't remember if those were the exact identities, but you get the picture).
    I respect April for not bowing to nonsensical pressure to be more Asian - whatever that means. Is she supposed to pointedly eat sushi at a go-see?

This strikes me as a very personal issue. I don't even have a frame of reference for people constantly asking me to define my ethnicity so I can't imagine what's in her head. However April wants to express herself is fine by me.

Not to mention, she doesn't have any control over what clothes they put her in for a photoshoot, so I guess I fail to see how it matters. If someone hires her for a shoot because they want an Asian-looking girl - but not too Asian - in a kimono, they're going to choose someone like April. Her trumpeting to the skies that she's half-Japanese isn't going to get her the job, her portfolio will.

I'm like April in that I hear the criticism, but want to know what she can concretely do that will appease the judges. I guess I'm not "romantic" enough. :rolleyes At this point I think April should be winning on the Apprentice in my opinion, forget ANTM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Snipes...Wesley Snipes. BlushOnTehCheek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet
    Um actually ANTM did put her in a distinctive oriental outfit, (okay bodypaint.. but it looked like clothes by the time they were done) and April looked beautiful. I think its one of her best photos.

I think the problem here is not how we perceive April but how the judges do. Janice made it a point of bringing up April's heritage and April became very defensive proclaiming herself to be ďAmericanĒ. I believe she lost points with the judges because of this and she knew it.. the next show showed a complete reversal in her attitude. Instead of being "American" she was suddenly Japanese American. What bothered me how because it was suddenly to Aprilís advantage she was suddenly using her ethnicity. She even made a point of saying to one of the other girls that Ms. Tyra told her that she had a better chance at winning because she had the Asian look, which is rare in models.

Keeping in mind editing of the show is also probably playing up the whole Asian look as well. They made it a point when she was on the go-see to have the agent ask her what she was. Actually I think I was more offended by the way the question was phrased.. something like.. what are you?? Like she was some alien or something. Perhaps itís just so rare to see a woman of mixed Asian heritage in modeling that they didnít think. I donít fault April. She wants to win and if embracing her Japanese heritage puts her at the top then good for her. I hope she comes out of this whole thing knowing she is a unique and beautiful person.

Although ANTM needs to break out of the pigeon hole they seem to putting her into. Theyíre toting her as their Asian model and comment on it all the time. I donít think sheís robot April either.. Although sheís very serious and sometimes having that much focus is negative.. especially when the judges keep telling you over and over again to loosen up. She needs to smile more and stop focusing on the win.

Oh and as far as the difference between Shandi and April.. April has worked in a real job and developed a business like attitude, which Shandi at 21 works in Walgreens. April is more serious because sheís had to be for people to take her seriously. Frankly I commend her to give up a paying job to go for this must have been very difficult for someone with the kind of drive she has.

Oh and as far as Caucasian females, such as myself embracing their ethnicityÖ well its hard to do since Iím Irish, English, Scottish (fathers side) and Polish, Ukrainian (mothers side) Iím named Kelly Moira (Moyra) I used to be Hutchison and married into the Topilnycky family which is half English half Ukrainian.. I moan to my husband all the time for sticking me a name no one can pronounce (Top-il-nit-ski). Personally if I werenít a mutt and my family was Irish I would embrace my ethnicity.. However I do embrace my polish side with cooking (my grandmother.. may she rest in peace was full polish and taught me how to make ethic dishes.) My mother in law, who is English but cooks Ukrainian has taught me over the years to enjoy the Ukrainian side of life (My father in law was very proud of his heritage).. including celebrating Ukrainian Easter (Russian Easter) We also attend the Greek Ukrainian church and have the Easter baskets of food blessed and participate in a blessing done by the Ukrainian priests.

So I embrace part of my heritage and love all this Celtic.. so I figure this makes up for my other half.
    Ramble On-Led Zeppelin

Yeah well there's like a thread of ten messages moaning about April and her heritage. I had a lot to say..
    Personally I love April's look, but the fact that she's viewed as half Asian may work against her. The ANTM judges wanted her to embrace her heritage in the beginning but now it might work against her as she may be too unique.
    If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks of him. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by BlushOnTehCheek
    Ramble On-Led Zeppelin
    I just wrote her privately to tell her I liked her post. That's what we're here for, to ramble away, isn't it? It's a lot better than reading 10 posts in a row saying "I love April" or "What's up with that April chick?"
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob