Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Adrian is a Top Model?

What Would Janice Do? littlecat's Avatar
    with the continued success of the show, its more likely that advertisers/industry insiders will be more likely to up the ante in terms of the prizes/rewards for the winner. let's see what is offered at antm season 3

FORT Newbie
    The show should really be called something along the lines of "So, you want to be a model?". The TOP in the present title does kind of seem out of place when you think of what the winner of the show will most likely get out of it. I think Adrianne is doing pretty well for herself... at least I'll best she hasn't waited a table since she has won :-)

Just thinking of how young most actual top models are when they start out tells me that most of the women on ANTM won't ever live up to the title of the show. Many of them are starting out in modeling at ages when a lot of actual top models are already in their prime.

I keep losing my keys!!!! royalcloudjumpe's Avatar
    Apparently Adrianne is HUGE in Europe. I am quite sure I heard that on the show.

there are plent of reasons why american idol winners get more coverage. first, the music business is more universal then modelling- you can sell a cd to anyone, but you can't sell a model to everyone. talk shows like leno and oprah will ahve singers on there to perform, they might have a model to interview, but really, what is a model going to do on a talk show? do a mini cat walk? secondly, fox is a far far far bigger network then upn and gets about 4 times as many viewers. third, american idol is a show where the viewer is able to participate in by voting in, a winner chosen by the people will have more recognition by the people.

Laballatician
    Quote Originally Posted by withoutasol
    there are plent of reasons why american idol winners get more coverage. first, the music business is more universal then modelling- you can sell a cd to anyone, but you can't sell a model to everyone. talk shows like leno and oprah will ahve singers on there to perform, they might have a model to interview, but really, what is a model going to do on a talk show? do a mini cat walk? secondly, fox is a far far far bigger network then upn and gets about 4 times as many viewers. third, american idol is a show where the viewer is able to participate in by voting in, a winner chosen by the people will have more recognition by the people.

Then dont call the show America's Next Top Model.

possibly, but that line is from the southpark movie.

That would explain it. I have never watched a single episode of South Park. Movie or show.

i guess you don't understand the modelling industry to well- cause being in a magazine like marie claire or instyle is something not any regular model can do. its obvious that the show wants to find a model that can be in that type of magazine- its not america's next sears catalog model for sure, even persons in those type of catalogs consider themselves "models".

then again hows that curly haired justin guarini doing?

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    yeah, i was disappointed with that, too, laballatician. ( and welcome to the fort, btw!)

i would have liked a lot more publicity for adrian, too. i wonder how they define "top model."
    They seem to do a really good job of repeating the prizes. I think that they have been more than up front with the contestants. American Idol has to heavily promote their winners in order to increase record and ticket sales...this show isn't selling anything.

yup, they repeat the "prize" right before deliberating on who should get the boot on the first and now the second season of the shows.

Kao
    Adrianne is also under contract with that diamond company. Lots of time (espeically with new models who often don't know any better)they will sign an "exclusive" contract with a company which pretty much says "I will pay you X amount of dollars to be the signature "face" of my company, but you can't model for anyone else in print." Which means that basically you can do runway, but that's about it. No magazine spreads...no other endorsements.

Obviosly this can be a two-headed sword. On the one hand, you're getting paid a massive amount of money for very little work in a year. On the other hand, you're losing visability with the magazines. Christy Turlington got caught up in this sort of situation when she forst started out when she signed an exclusive contract with Calvin Klein (or Ralph Lauren, can't think of which one right now.) when she first started out. Sure, they were paying her great money and she was in all the ads, but her friends Naomi and Linda ended up getting more covers, more spreads more everything, which means that in a sense, they were more visable and working constantly. After a while. she ended up renegotiating her contract with Lauren.

Most models would like to be the signature face of a product, because that's where the mad money in modeling is. The endorsements. Pick up a 500,000+ contract to be the face of whomever and only work about 3 months out of the year is a pretty cushy job. You just have to be smart and figure out just how "Exclusive" you want to be, and whether or not what you will be giving up in return is worth it.

But back to Adrianne. Generally only the top girls or girls that have severe potential are chosen to endorse products in the first place. So looking at it from that point of view, Adrianne is pretty sucessful. Not every model that walks the runway can say that they have an endorsement contract.