Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Camille McDonald

FORT Regular
    Camille is Jamaican-American.

Camille really is just average. She has a bad attitude and she thinks that she is hotter than she really is. Camille reminds me of the high maintenence girls I went to undergrad with. I didn't like Robyn one bit, but I think that she had a more unique and attractive look.

FORT Fan
    [QUOTE=Kao]
    ...And I have to agree with Ms Highbrow on the table manners bit (even though I don't know here she was going with the "butter" part). QUOTE]

as to "where she was going with the butter part":
    "proper" table manners (and i'm just *dying* to post separately on this whole table manners/elbows on the table thing) dictate that one does not slap a slice of bread or a split-open roll in the flat of the hand and then smear butter on the whole thing. rather, you are supposed to tear off an approximately bite-sized portion, butter that, and when you've finished it, continue with the same procedure. also, if you do not eat that particular portion in one bite, you are supposed to place what is left on the edge of your salad or dinner plate, not back on your bread plate with the rest of your bread.

[QUOTE=Kao]
    ...You also don't go to a tres swank restaurant and steal toilet paper on camera, either! You're supposed to traispe in there all sogniee and chic, pilfer away, get home, place the paper in the holder and claim ignorance as to how it got there!... QUOTE]

then is it okay to steal toilet paper at the nieghborhood pancake joint? is it okay to do it anywhere as long as it's not obvious, or not caught on camera? personally, i think the transgression is in the stealing, not in the subtlety or brazenness of it, or the calibre of the restaurant.

finally and most importantly, i was not given the impression that camille's concern was that they stole, behaved immorally or that they did something that might hurt the restaurant. instead, i think she was concerned that they might make a poor impression on someone and...drumroll...that it could reflect on her.

FORT Fogey
    She needs to bring her attidtude down a couple hundred notches, she's a definate certified bee-otch. I like her portfolio pictures and modeling skills though.

FORT Fan
    Lots of people have piped in on the whole "elbows on the table thing", so I would like to offer 2 cents, too. There is somthing at the end that I think especially pertains to Camille, (hee-hee).

First let me say that I missed the part when anyone had their elbows on the table (or wiped their nose with their hand - disgusting!). So, I don't know if this was a matter of someone sitting with elbows on the table througout the whole meal and shoveling all of their food into their faces with their hands, or if they just rested them there for a short time, propped their chins in their hands while they were talking, etc...feel free to enlighten me...but in general...

Like many posters I was also told as a child not to put my elbows on the table. No one offered any specific explaination as to why, and no one I know has ever managed to sit through and entire meal without placing their elbows on the table at least once - how ridiculous and unnatural that would look!...So I now sit comfortably at the table; I don't drape myself all over it, but I also don't sit there stiff like a ventriloquist's dummy, arms held to side or hands unmoving in my lap.

I don't know about you all, but I was also told not to say I didn't "like" a food that was served, but only that i didn't "care for it" (okay), I had to ask to be excused (well, I think okay) - and I was made to eat caviar when I was 8 because I had to develop the taste for it: "Everyone loves caviar, darling" (plain old snobbish tyranny). Then let's not forget the good old "you're not supposed to wear white after labor day".

But the *experts* are now saying that the white after labor day has become irrelevant (though I still hear some real people still observing that rule). Then, all of the experts are now publishing books like "New Manners for New Times". The point being that "etiquette" is not fixed or divinely revealed, but contextual and fluid. Miss Manners makes the important distinction that "manners" are the principles that underly rules of etiquette. The rules vary; there are also common principles or guidelines, like showing respect for guests or hosts, that will always hold. Also, one can "follow the rules" of etiquette, but betray the mannerly principles.

Amy Vanderbilt observes that throughout Europe people put their elbows on the table as a matter of course and the French fully "consider it part of the dining experience". Letitia Baldrige reminds us that a person's table manners signal their sensitivity to other people, and says that "It's certainly all right to rest an elbow or two on the table between courses, because that's a gesture that comes naturally..."; Marjabelle Young Stewart says the same thing.

And finally, Miss Manners (and Miss Camille):
    To sacrifice the principle of manners, which requires compassion and
    respect, and bat people over the head with their ignorance of
    etiquette rules...is both bad manners and poor etiquette. [Still], That
    *social climbers* and *twits* have misused etiquette throughout
    history should not be used as an argument for doing away with it...

Social climber, twit; another poster called Camille "bougie". You bet. Based on the above, I think Camille is totally busted.

Kao
    *sigh*

Libra, it was a joke, okay? As in humor? As for the bread thing, I generally butter my roll on the plate, pick it up with two fingers and nibble daintily until yum-yum, all gone. I know...me savage...Miss Manners, please don't beat me!

*sniff*

BTW, I'll bet she used Ms Yohanna's ill-gotten gains anyway, regardless of how it was acquired...
    Last edited by Kao; 01-25-2004 at 01:43 AM.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by libra4
    First let me say that I missed the part when anyone had their elbows on the table...

...The point being that "etiquette" is not fixed or divinely revealed, but contextual and fluid...

..Letitia Baldrige reminds us that a person's table manners signal their sensitivity to other people, and says that "It's certainly all right to rest an elbow or two on the table between courses, because that's a gesture that comes naturally...

And finally, Miss Manners (and Miss Camille):
    To sacrifice the principle of manners, which requires compassion and
    respect, and bat people over the head with their ignorance of
    etiquette rules...is both bad manners and poor etiquette...
    They showed Shandi eating with her elbows on the table. I don't know how Shandi was raised but it's common knowledge (or at least I thought it was)that it's rude to have your elbows on the table while eating...it's okay to do it "between courses", as you mentioned. I'm sorry that you were forced to eat caviar as a kid (which is quite an extreme example) but it is indeed rude to tell a host that you hate their food. These things are common respect...not fluid.

As far as Camille "batting people over the head" about etiqutte, you must have missed that part of the show as well. At no point did she confront them directly about their manners. She stated her opinion during an interview...you could hear her voice while they were showing the film of them at the restaraunt. Just curious, what rule does STEALING toilet paper fall under? Is that "sometimes" okay too?
    Last edited by lisaree; 01-26-2004 at 05:29 AM.

Kao
    I'm wondering what catergory using stolen toilet paper after you went on TV and said talked about the person that did it falls under. If she wanted to make a point she should have said "Yoanna, don't do that...it's kinda not on. I'll buy some later." But nooooo....she let the poor child pilfer the paper, talked about her and then used it later on....

Camile is the one who kept talking about others' "table manner", but she is also the one who gave finger after the discussion with Yoanna or the house meeting.. (I forgot which..) But look carefully, she IS giving finger, and it is just edited with white mosaic. But I saw it. I know it's hard to find this, since it was edited over a white wall at their loft. But if she says she is a well mannered one, don't give this sort of ghetto attitudes, too. That's what I think..

Anti All Things CoverGirl

I don't like her

I don't like Camille. She is selfish, self-centered, and arrogant. But she is also very confident and very focused, two things that will take her VERY far in this competition. To be honest, I don't like her and I don't want her to win. But she has a great shot at it - as long as she learns how to take criticism from people who know what they're talking about. If she starts giving attitude to the judges and guests like Carmen whatshisface Malvo, she's toast.