Page 6 of 156 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: April Wilkner

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_star
    I thikn her dad is American or something. There is her family pic on the ANTM website, (her NYU graduation, I think) and she is with her mom and dad. (I guess it's a family photo) Her dad is really tall. I wonder if she is half Japanese or Chinese... I am not sure.
    Ah...you mean her dad is "of European ancestry" or "white" or something? Lots of Americans are Asian. But anyway, she does have a really interesting look--particularly in photos.

Has anyone else noticed that Nigel has commented in each episode that she has a "beautiful body"? She seems to be at the top of his list, lucky girl. <G>

Quote Originally Posted by boxhill
    Has anyone else noticed that Nigel has commented in each episode that she has a "beautiful body"? She seems to be at the top of his list, lucky girl. <G>
    she is QUITE striking!

yeah, boxhill, that's what I meant. but I thought what I meant was obvious judging from the context.

No nyc_star, it wasn't obvious from the context of your sentence, because as Boxhill pointed out, there are plenty of Americans who happen to be ethnically Asian. "American" is not synonymous with "caucasion" if that's what you meant in your post--remember, we're a country of all different races.

Anyway, judging from the photos, April's dad does appear to be caucasion and her mother of asian ancestry (which, again, does not necessarily preclude her from being American).
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

quote=="Is Wilkner an Asian name? I wonder what her exact ethnicity is."
    I was replying tho this comment. Yes, I know there are many Asian Americans, and they are Americans. Of course. But in this specific case, I still think it is obvious what I meant. Then, why do people like Catie and Shannon are described "All American girl?" I thikn we all know that America consists of many different races, but then, why everyone understands this expression w/o questioning, like "Hey, American also means people with different features,,, you are just on race representing America etc etc." People just get the meaning from contect.
    I have Asian friends, and I love them all, one of my BEST friend for years is Asian. I am not trying to argue here, but just in this case when I was replying to the specifuc question, I still think it was obvious. I meant nothig negative, and I don't know why some people try to make it into a big deal. Especially at where I live, so many, I mean so many different people live here and when we need to specify someone in, we very often use just "American", "Asian American", "Afro American", "Latin American", etc etc etc. (especially like when this person was asking about "ethnicity") We do so without having any negative meanings. I don't wanna argue this sorta thing here, I don't get the point, when no harm was meant to be. .

ABC
    FORT Newbie
    She may not be gorgeous...but there are some models out there who aren't so pretty themselves but they got the body and the height.

But I still don't think she'll win...but she does photograph well.

NYC_Star--I do not want to get into a long discussion about the problematic politics behind the assumption that everyone will just "get" what you mean when you say "American" and you actually mean "white" or "caucasian". I'm here at the forum to have fun, not argue semantics.

But I will say that I don't think I or Boxhill made a particularly big deal about it, we were simply pointing out the gaffe in your word choice--which we have a right to do. If you took a second to stop being defensive, you might understand that the statement you made was neither clear nor accurate, and while I'm sure you didn't mean anything negative, you must still take responsibility for the fact that what you've said might offend people.

And since I hate posts that are off-topic, here's the picture of April's graduation that we were talking about.

[IMG]images/img/Grad.jpg[/IMG]

Can't we all just get along? Now let's put this issue to rest and get back to talking about the show.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    NYC_Star--I do not want to get into a long discussion about the problematic politics behind the assumption that everyone will just "get" what you mean when you say "American" and you actually mean "white" or "caucasian". I'm here at the forum to have fun, not argue semantics.

But I will say that I don't think I or Boxhill made a particularly big deal about it, we were simply pointing out the gaffe in your word choice--which we have a right to do. If you took a second to stop being defensive, you might understand that the statement you made was neither clear nor accurate, and while I'm sure you didn't mean anything negative, you must still take responsibility for the fact that what you've said might offend people.

And since I hate posts that are off-topic, here's the picture of April's graduation that we were talking about.

[IMG]images/img/Grad.jpg[/IMG]

Can't we all just get along? Now let's put this issue to rest and get back to talking about the show.
    oh yeah... he definately looks American

SnowflakeGirl and Boxhill, thank you for explaining it. It's one of my pet peeves.

ok, I was talking to my mom and dad on the phone today, and they also told me that American means all races... So, I guess my expression was bad. Thanks for teaching me one thing here.

No problem, NYC Star. We're all friends here, united in our love of ANTM!

Now back to your regularly scheduled April Wilkner thread!

[IMG]images/img/aprilcasual.jpg[/IMG]

Picture of April from UPN site.
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 02-21-2004 at 05:27 PM.