Page 56 of 156 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106 ... LastLast

Thread: April Wilkner

really? chopsticks are a breeze for me, but april did say that she isnt in touch with her japanese culture and just cause she likes the food doesnt mean that she is in touch with the asian within just means she likes the food~ sorry if i sound a bit mean

Salmon roe is not " hardcore" LoL. If that were the case I must be Asian. Where does this perception of April that she's analytical etc come from. She's driven, but cold,analytical etc....? I don't see it, sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same show. Haven't tried flying fish roe,yet, keep having visions have little fish hatching and flying around in my stomach.

I keep losing my keys!!!! royalcloudjumpe's Avatar
    I'm so sick of all this Asian talk. It's irrelevent. April is the way she is. Simple as that. She photographs excellent and nails pretty much every task thrown her way.
    Everywhere I read on these boards, people are deciphering "analytical", "clinical". It doesn't matter.

April is not my favorite but I definitely see that she is one of the, if not "the", strongest competitors left. I think she's beautiful.
    Alanis Morissette - So-Called Chaos GO BUY YOURS NOW!!
    Mrs. Dalloway said she'd buy the flowers herself today.
    Diana DeGarmo, she almost had it all

Isn't it Mrs. Dalloway said she'd buy the flowers herself today?

Um... I was mostly kidding, hence the .

Hmm...sturgeon roe w/ blinis and sour cream

Anyway, I totally want to stab the word "analytical" with a stiletto and watch it die a horrible, painful death. I know its proliferate use has to do with our ability to take a senseless descriptive and run with it (case in point: "larger-than-life"? What the phuck does that mean? :rolleyes), but deep down, I just can't shake the feeling that somehow, for whatever reasons, people are perpetuating racial/national stereotypes when they use "cold" or "analytical" to describe April.

Like, the French are snobby. The Latinos are fiery. The Russians are melancholic and drunkards besides. The Japanese are inscrutable and mechanical...etc.

ETA: But I have to admit, April's focus is sometimes a little scary for me. It's like every time she nods her head and her eyes fill with steel, I'm going nimou ryoukai under my breath.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 03-11-2004 at 01:03 PM.

you forgot Canadians naus, don't we count?

I think a lot of viewers were turned off when April didn't embraced her Asian heritage, right-off the bat ( The girl doesn't even have a clue she look asian!). Her captivating Asian look, what made April stay (or eventually win) in the show.

oy not the embracing her heritage thing again- heh *points at her bio and the description of her favorite food* its not like she's oblivious to her heritage- she jsut wasn't raised in an environment that was japan town 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by theFACE
    I think a lot of viewers were turned off when April didn't embraced her Asian heritage, right-off the bat ( The girl doesn't even have a clue she look asian!). Her captivating Asian look, what made April stay (or eventually win) in the show.
    My biggest problem with people talking about April's race is that noone is telling Heather, Catie, Bethany, etc... to embrace their heritage because they don't look 'ethnic.' I think it's unfair of people to try to tell her what she is. Maybe she just considers herself American?

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I can't wait for next week, that recap eppy did not fill my ANTM craving.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.