Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Accidental Model

  1. #1
    FORT Newbie moonspell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3

    Accidental Model

    [COLOR=indigo][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=3]
    I modeled when I was in college. It was just a fluke, I happened to be interning for an ad agency in Chicago and when the model that was booked for a shoot didn't show one of the art directors grabbed me to be a stand in. Anyway, I did model for a while, roomed with a model and hung out with photographers and creative types. Anyway, Miss Tyra's comment about her and Heidi Klum et al intelligence really gave me a giggle. Because Elyse was totally correct, there is scientific research about the formula of beauty. I forget exactly who was used as examples; I think Halle Berry, Salma Hayek and someone else but the mathematical formula used determined that it worked for women of all nationalities. Tyra Banks is famous, beautiful, rich and successful. But she seemed rankled by the fact that she just isn't as smart as Elyse.
    I like Elyse and Adrienne, they seemed the most genuine of all the contestants; although Shannon really was sweet at the end. Adrienne won the contracts but I think many of these girls will benefit from their appearance on ANTM.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    6
    On the Discovery Channel, I once saw a program on the history of beauty. They spoke of symetry in one's face as an enduring quality of beauty. They used a bust of Cleopatra as an example. They then morphed a picture of the bust by overlay drawing into a drawing of Elizabeth Taylor in her youth. They then morphed it into Halle Berry. The research is interesting and valid even if you don't buy it. Whatever various reasons the judges had for not choosing Elyse, (I feel the main one being she wasn't singlemindedly enthusiastic enough for about the contest) she had a point that was lost on the judges and definately not what they wanted to hear...
    I also agree that they will all benefit from their appearences on the show

  3. #3
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by moonspell
    But [Tyra] seemed rankled by the fact that she just isn't as smart as Elyse.
    Tyra doesn't even know what "rankled" means. The real issue is that Elyse's estrogen lecture was the equivalent of Robin starting to sing when she couldn't take Ebony's speech. Both Elyse and Robin were backed into corners and they reached for whatever they could. Elyse's foil was a tattered textbook regurgitation and Robin's was a hymn.

    Both miserably failed to answer the question. If Tyra was at all irritated, it was by Elyse's lack of understanding. Smart, sure. Wise, forget it.

  4. #4
    FORT Newbie moonspell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dish
    Tyra doesn't even know what "rankled" means. The real issue is that Elyse's estrogen lecture was the equivalent of Robin starting to sing when she couldn't take Ebony's speech. Both Elyse and Robin were backed into corners and they reached for whatever they could. Elyse's foil was a tattered textbook regurgitation and Robin's was a hymn.

    Both miserably failed to answer the question. If Tyra was at all irritated, it was by Elyse's lack of understanding. Smart, sure. Wise, forget it.
    I disagree completely. Tyra was irritated and rankled; but it was because she didn't understand what Elyse was telling them. I always liked Tyra Banks, great face, great body....but ANTM also showcased her insecurities. I thought Elyse answered honestly and precisely. Look, Marilyn Monroe was gorgeous and had great comedic timing but she wanted to be a great dramatic actress. She married Arthur Miller in pursuit of that goal. So, what I am saying is that everyone no matter how gifted or blessed with beauty, talent or intellect always sees what they don't have deep within and Tyra Banks is no exception. :pond

  5. #5
    FORT Fan nyc_star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    329
    Moonspell, I completely disagree with you, and I agree with DD. Do you really think that Tyra didn't understand what Elyse was saying? Are you serious?? No way, men. She and other judges are not that damn. Hey, after all, not all E says are that difficult to understand.. Period.
    E's answer was miserably irrelevant in that situation. Like DD said, "Smart, Yes. Wise, Naaaaa."
    I don't wanna sound negative about her, but judging from my field, which is Psychiatry, this girl's behavior shows that she has very low Emotional Intelligence..

  6. #6
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dish
    Tyra doesn't even know what "rankled" means.
    I thought you were taking taking the position that Tyra's smarter than that.

    OK this issue's going in circles, but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dish
    The real issue is that Elyse's estrogen lecture was the equivalent of Robin starting to sing when she couldn't take Ebony's speech.
    Not at all. Robin had no reason to react the way she did. No one said, "Hey Robin, sing a hymn," or, "Robin, do something religious and confusing." On the other hand, Elyse was asked a question about estrogen features and answered it.

    The judges were the ones who let the interview drift off-topic when the asked her to elaborate on her first estrogen comment. She wasn't the one who changed the subject. Her answer was valid and precise. How can you call that irrelevant??

    Even if the judges weren't confused by her response like you say, they steered the interview badly.

  7. #7
    FORT Fan nyc_star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    329
    Why was it so irrelevant?
    Very simple.
    Because the judges' question was to see if E ever learned that beuaty also comes from inside too. But she blew it by answering that estrogen issues. I know you mentioned in "Elyse's elimination" thread that she was gonna say something more, (she said "but"... )and you said the judges interrupted. But really?? because at the very end of the interview, she was given one more good chance to state her opinion on what beauty was, and she again claimed that outside look, that is what beauty is, to her.
    And she was gone.
    the end.

  8. #8
    Fabulous fag! ;) Gizmo82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,108
    I think that Tyra understood everything that Elyse was saying (Janice is another story), but I didn't understand WHY Elyse was babbling on about all of this... I dont remember what the orginal question was, but I remember wondering WHY Elyse started babbling about all this... Ithink in the end it just comes down to Elyse liking feeling superior to people around her, and maybe she didn't even realize that she was doing it at the time (she was my favorite btw.. so I'm not bashing her in any way) She herself admitted to talking down to them.. I dont think she did it on purpose, but she definately needs to work on that, seemed a bit immature IMO
    "It's still cool to be sane. You're just supposed to be sane and medicated ." - Article from the New York Magazine

  9. #9
    FORT Fan nyc_star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    329
    I agree very much, Gizmo82.

  10. #10
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo82
    I think that Tyra understood everything that Elyse was saying (Janice is another story), but I didn't understand WHY Elyse was babbling on about all of this... I dont remember what the orginal question was, but I remember wondering WHY Elyse started babbling about all this... Ithink in the end it just comes down to Elyse liking feeling superior to people around her, and maybe she didn't even realize that she was doing it at the time (she was my favorite btw.. so I'm not bashing her in any way) She herself admitted to talking down to them.. I dont think she did it on purpose, but she definately needs to work on that, seemed a bit immature IMO
    Why is it that any time person A says something that person B doesn't understand, person B has to act like person A is pulling a superiority trip? I mean granted, some people are like that, but it didn't seem to me like Elyse was doing that at all, just that some people on here, and Janice especially, just felt stupid and had to act like it was Elyse's problem.

    That's not to say that Elyse doesn't need to be aware of how she comes across, because she does. But IMO it's not because of anything she's doing wrong.

    And anyway, the original question was whether or not Elyse thought that models got where they were mainly by their looks alone. I believe that Elyse would have had a great answer to that question if the judges would have let her finish. I don't think she really had the chance at all. It's not like she really KNEW how the judges were going to take the part that they let her say.


    ...then again, I have heard someone suggest that perhaps Elyse threw the competition in a way, partly by answering the way she did. Now, I don't think that's what happened, but I'm not in Elyse's head.


    Cyaron


    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AdrianneCurryrox/
    Last edited by Cyaron; 07-12-2003 at 07:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.