Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Elyse Conspiracy

FORT Newbie
    Elyse conspiracy? Some people have too much time on their hands. Elyse...is that you?

FORT Newbie
    Thank you all for adding your thoughts here. I realize I was grasping at straws here and I was definitely screaming at the television when they dumped Elyse. It just seemed like a very strange final episode and I definitely don't buy the argument that wanting it more = success.

Imagine two stockbrokers. One of them is an ass, acts non-chalant, and often says that he hates the industry and plans on leaving soon. This broker gets and keeps all the majority of the firm's clients and makes the majority of the money for the firm. Another tries really hard, kisses ass, and really WANTS it, but doesn't make near the amount of money and has a tiny client list. By the arguments many have given, including Ty-baby, the firm should promote the person who wants it more. That is so bogus and offensive. Should the NBA select players who want it more or players who have the statistics?

WANTING IT MORE = "having a good attitude and desire entitles me to leap above those who have more talent" = BS in any performance driven environment, and modelling certainly is one of those. When you have people who are equally matched in skills, wanting it more can make the difference between them. However, if you don't have IT, wanting it more won't make a damn bit of difference on the performance side...unless you have judges simply using that as a measure.

Had Elyse and Adrianne made it to the final two, Adrianne's "wanting it more" would probably have tipped the balance in her favor and she would have probably won...because they were very closely matched in talent. In the end, "wanting it more" only matters through the *results* it achieves, not as an end in itself.

There are plenty of Hollywood actors living around my home who "really, really want it," but in the end no one cares unless you're truly great.

Ayn Randian rant over. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Rotophonic

I apologise if this has been mentioned...I'm exhausted...anyhow, I was wondering if maybe because Elyse knew how much Adrianne wanted this career Elyse didn't want to HAVE to compete with Adrianne at the end. Now I'm not saying she LET Adrianne win...A. did this on her own...Those two girls seemed to have a genuine friendship...through tv land. I think Elyse wanted this for Adrianne. Could be way off base

FORT Newbie
    I think Tyra purposefully cut her from the show because Elyse is not America's Next Top Model material, she is Europe's Next Top Model material. With a win, Elyse would have been stuck with a Wilhemina contract. Being cut loose, she's free to do whatever she wants. Personally I think she kicked ass on the show, did the best in all the "contests", but the prize was too limiting. We are going to see alot of Adrienne and Elyse in the future.

Jumad - I guess we have no way of knowing, but I like to think that Elyse might have been motivated to throw it so that her friend could win. But I don't know her, and it would take an extraordinarily generous or unusually motivated person to give up a solid prize. Elyse said several times she is a perfectionist who never quits and never gives up on anything, and I think she wanted to win the competition just because it sucks to lose. If she knew Adrianne had a fatal disease and only had a year to live, oh maybe she would throw the contest. Otherwise I don't see it.

Rotophonic - haven't you noticed that outgoing, gregarious people get promoted more than the hard-working martyr who never chats up the boss at the coffee pot? How you present yourself to someone who can affect your career matters, 100% of the time. Trust me; it happens everywhere, in all aspects of life.

That's the lecture for today. Here's a fluffy bunny.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

hepcat wrote=====

Rotophonic - haven't you noticed that outgoing, gregarious people get promoted more than the hard-working martyr who never chats up the boss at the coffee pot? How you present yourself to someone who can affect your career matters, 100% of the time. Trust me; it happens everywhere, in all aspects of life.
    =====================
    True, but true intelligent people do it subtly, but how Robin did was too obvious. People suck up to those who can promote them, but there is no reason to make others feel bad like she did. Remeber, "Keep your friends close, and enemier closer". Because after the show, these "enemies" (other contestents) are the ones who can go out saying anything about her.
    Now, that's the smart way, (Not how she did) I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc_star
    True, but true intelligent people do it subtly, but how Robin did was too obvious. People suck up to those who can promote them, but there is no reason to make others feel bad like she did. Remeber, "Keep your friends close, and enemier closer". Because after the show, these "enemies" (other contestents) are the ones who can go out saying anything about her.
    Now, that's the smart way, (Not how she did) I guess.

I was talking about Elyse. See Rotophonic's conspiracy theory at the beginning of the thread.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    A good conspiracy theory always deserves a fluffy bunny!
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat

That's why I hate people more charming than me. Hepcat, what you said about chatting up the boss at the coffee pot is so true. At least where I work! And I think it applied a bit to this competition as well. Shannon and Adrianne were able to be gregacious because it was 100% sincere. I think it helped them, especially in Adrianne's case.

Some people have to remind themselves that it's okay to make themselves vulnerable by showing how much they care. Maybe Elyse is like that a little? She couldn't possibly have been as cool inside as she was on the outside. If she is that cool, I admire her for being so composed!

FORT Newbie
    I don't know about conspiracies. Probably more to do with the unreal nature of "reality tv" scenarios. (And some strange editing quirk where every two minutes you get a recap of what you just saw and then a synopsis of the recap and then another recap of that.) I agree that the last episode did seem forced -- but actually so did all the other episodes... but that's another story.

I pretty much agree with the logic of posts about why Elyse was finally "eliminated." Except let me cast a vote of dissent on this topic -- would Elyse "let" Adrienne win? No way! Both thrived on each other's competition and friendship. Adrienne didn't need any "push" from Elyse other than the push Elyse gave by doing her damn best.

But listen: just because Elyse was eliminated from ANTM does not mean she will not have a modeling contract or career if she wants one -- and I am sure she and everyone knew this. It's just that they couldn't very well refer to the fact that being seen on the show itself, or being a finalist in the competition, or having amazing portfolio shots was already an "in" to access the modeling industry.

So wipe those pouty frowns off your sad little faces and just believe. Elyse will attract offers that will be far more interesting and appealing to her -- if she hasn't already -- than any generic contract ANTM could provide. And so will most of those girls. Cheer up. What a great way to pay for med school!

spiral_gerbil

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast