Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elyse's Elimination

FORT Fan

Elyse's Elimination

During Elyse's elimination, was anyone else disappointed with the judges' confused reactions to Elyse's comments about the effects of estrogen levels on appearance? I know it was more than a little Bio/Anatomy-101, but modeling-industry professionals conducting a talent competition should know at least enough to follow along. Instead they looked at her like she spoke in backwards Latin. Then a few minutes later, guest-judge Drew criticized Shannon for not knowing enough because she can't name a few photographers. They didn't like it when Elyse knew more than they did, and they didn't like it when Shannon knew less. :rolleyes

I hope Elyse's response didn't negatively effect the judges' opinion of her. They interrupted her to ask a question and she gave a better, more informative answer than they expected. If they couldn't understand her that's their own fault. They never even gave Elyse a chance to finish answering the original question, regarding how her views of beauty had changed over the competition. They judges made an understandable choice in the end, but I hope they made it for the right reasons.

I guess it's only appropriate for it to have ended that way. During the entire series Elyse demonstrated how she was the most intelligent of the contestants. Why should I be surprised that she's more knowledgeable than the judges?

I wonder if a few years from now an interviewer will ask Tyra or one of the others what they think about the ethics of hormone treatments on infants to improve appearance, and they'll struggle to recall what they heard from Elyse.

I agree with you, Elyse's little estrogen lesson was not uber complicated. Then again, I finished AP biology only a month ago. You can't expect modeling professionals to remember irrelevent science junk, their heads are filled with fashion. Knowledge of hormones is not part of their job description. I love Elyse, but I think what she said was unnecessary.

However, I don't think it had too much to do with her elimination. Since there were no tasks or pictures for them to judge, the elimination was more based on desire and personality than anything else. Had there been a photo shoot, I think Elyse probably would have gone on. Too bad.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kchamber
    During Elyse's elimination, was anyone else disappointed with the judges' confused reactions to Elyse's comments about the effects of estrogen levels on appearance? I know it was more than a little Bio/Anatomy-101, but modeling-industry professionals conducting a talent competition should know at least enough to follow along. Instead they looked at her like she spoke in backwards Latin. Then a few minutes later, guest-judge Drew criticized Shannon for not knowing enough because she can't name a few photographers. They didn't like it when Elyse knew more than they did, and they didn't like it when Shannon knew less. :rolleyes

I hope Elyse's response didn't negatively effect the judges' opinion of her. They interrupted her to ask a question and she gave a better, more informative answer than they expected. If they couldn't understand her that's their own fault. They never even gave Elyse a chance to finish answering the original question, regarding how her views of beauty had changed over the competition. They judges made an understandable choice in the end, but I hope they made it for the right reasons.

I guess it's only appropriate for it to have ended that way. During the entire series Elyse demonstrated how she was the most intelligent of the contestants. Why should I be surprised that she's more knowledgeable than the judges?

I wonder if a few years from now an interviewer will ask Tyra or one of the others what they think about the ethics of hormone treatments on infants to improve appearance, and they'll struggle to recall what they heard from Elyse.
    I agree with you about the judges.
    Maybe it was just editing, but I thought the questions were not exactly on the same level for each girl.
    Elyse was questioned about her opnion of beauty.
    Shannon was asked the names of photographers
    Andrienne was asked if she could handle herself backstage at a fashion show.
    I just didn't get that.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lisab
    I agree with you about the judges.
    Maybe it was just editing, but I thought the questions were not exactly on the same level for each girl.
    And I agree with both of you! It did seem very strange, the questions didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to them, and were completely inconsistent.

Although...here I go analyzing and assuming (yikes!)...it seemed that all of the questioning was thinly veiled barbs directed at each of the girls. In areas where the judges felt that the girls were weakest.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by kchamber
    During Elyse's elimination, was anyone else disappointed with the judges' confused reactions to Elyse's comments about the effects of estrogen levels on appearance?
    Not at all. It was confusing. There are many ways to explain this and quantum physics to even toddlers or retards on level they can understand. Elyse chose to irrelevantly answer the judges questions by remembering and repeating her notes from science class. She could have made this explanation work but instead her nervousness caused her to revert to the only thing she's comfortable with: hearing herself be smart.

Any interviewer that asks a model about medical ethics, now or in the future, is doing it for his or her own amusement and that makes a sucky interviewer.

FORT Fan
    It was confusing because it was fast, and her answer was fast because the question was off topic. I don't want to say too much because I don't remember all the details, but the way I recall it went, "Good levels of estrogen improve attractive feminine features," and then rapidly listed a lot of examples. As modeling judges, the panel should not find those feature descriptions completely foreign.

She made one point and gave examples. I suspect if she listed examples one at time and waited for them to smile and nod before proceeding she could have said the same things and not lost her audience.

Actually, it wasn't confusing to me at all.

1. Elyse didn't want it as bad as the other girls.

2. There was something in her attitude that just didn't quite fit. Maybe something to do with the first reason.

3. She didn't take it seriously enough. Sure her actions showed, but she had medical school to fall back on.

There were alson a lot of Adrianne reasons which I won't explain because most of us seem to like Adrianne.

Shannon

1. This girl is fantastic. The only thing she ever did wrong was not doing a semi-nude shot.

2. She killed the runway with her catwalk.

3. The camara loves her.

4. She'd be a great Covergirl/Victoria's Secret/Tommy Girl

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dish
    Any interviewer that asks a model about medical ethics, now or in the future, is doing it for his or her own amusement and that makes a sucky interviewer.
    Hahaha yeah, absolutely. But it will still happen eventually. Someone will want to ask the beautiful people what they'd think if everyone could look like them.

Most people won't take the interview seriously, but it wouldn't hurt him/her to be able to give an unexpectantly intelligent answer. That is, unless the interviewer was judging something and perceived him/her as a know-it-all for actually answered the question that was asked.

Thank you !DD!!! Very well said. I agree with you totally. It's not like judges didn't understand Elyse's answer. Her answers were not even difficult to understand anyway, I'm sure they understood what she meant. But the point was, (like exactly DD pointed out) her answers were "IRRELAVANT"!!! Totally... That's all. Tyra was tring to ask her if she still thinks "beauty" is just an outside look to her, and probably Tyra and other judges were hoping to hear her changed opinion from her first LA interview, and to hear her say that beauty comes from inside too. (personality, inner beauty, etc as Tyra mentioned again and again in the show) But because E firmly believes that beauty is only an outside look, she brough up that estrogen issue. I believe that's why all the judges look like wierd, thinking, "what is this girl saying,,,,???? " not because they couldn't understand the hormone effect, but because they thought Elyse didn't learn anything from the inner beauty after all these 8 weeks. Of course these judges can follow E's answer on hormone effec ton beauty, (look at Janice's face, a product of many hormone injection!!) I'm sure about that... Remember, Tyra asked her before "what do you think you learned from this challenge, from the time you were interviewed in LA?" and popped this very question "Do you still think beauty is just an outside look?" And E brought up the estrogen issue, instead of learing anything about "beauty also comes from inside!" and replied the same answer "It's just physical"....... That is why!! the judges just looked wired, and even Kimora played along with E's answer and measured Tyra to see how large her forehead was. (E said that this area is one measurement of "someone's beauty", so Kimora was just playing with it. or just played along to make E look smart, b/c that's what E wanted.) I guess... Maybe all what I wrote might not be all correct, but one thing, I am so so sure is that they Did understand E's answer. They are not that damn not to be able to follow that.. And they are more adult to play with it and to make E look all smart. Tyra said at the end, "E, you are SOOO smart". Yes, Tyra sounded playful when she said "SOOO". Because T knows that E is smart, and it's cool, but at least, Tyra knew that "Beauty is Not just an outside look, but it also comes from inside". And that "inner beauty" "it" thing makes some models look extraordinary, and differentiates them from others, and make those others look just models... If we believe E's answer is her true answer, she didn't learn that from this experience.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_star
    But because E firmly believes that beauty is only an outside look, she brough up that estrogen issue. I believe that's why all the judges look like wierd, thinking, "what is this girl saying,,,,????"
    I don't think that's quite the way it played out. The judges asked her to contrast her opinions from the start of the show (that beauty is purely physical) with her opinions now. The exchange went something like -

Elyse: I still think it's strongly based on estrogen-features but...
    Judges (interrupting her): Estrogen-features?
    Elyse: - Impromptu Biology lecture -
    Judges: Oh. Nevermind.

Elyse WAS going to describe how her opinions has changed but they never got back to the original question. Either it never happened or it was edited out. Elyse's big mistake was letting them sidetrack her so far.

I think Drew should have pretended to nod off during E's lecture. I would have found that hilarious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast