Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Four

ILuvRobin
    Originally posted by Deep Dish
    Cultural and social factors by themselves are not causes of eating disorders. A person needs to be predisposed to developing bulimia or anorexia. What makes a person predisposed? If you or I knew, we'd be wiping ourselves with $100 bills because we solved the problem.

This might be "just" a reality tv messageboard, but spreading medical misinformation by packaging it into simplistic soundbites is irresponsible. I urge you to take the time to go to WebMD.com or something and read up on these disorders instead of blaming modeling or the fashion industry.

And what statement would that be? "Buy our really expensive clothes and we'll guarantee you look the exact same as you always do?" "Wear our exclusive perfume and you'll feel you're ready to for a day at Costco?"

The fashion industry is making more than enough money to care what realists have to say. They are too busy successfully selling fantasy. Robin isn't a standard-size model, she's not proportioned to be a plus-size model and she's not decent enough to scrub my floors.
    First of all, there are many women that had bulimia or anorexoia because of what they "think" is the perfect body...I am not saying that modeling industry is the problem per se, because when a person starve themselves it is a deeper issue IMO...However, it needs to embrace all types of beauty because not every one is built the same....What if many can not live up to that fantasy and they are dead..What if they are missing out the next Supermodel because they have this pre-conceived idea of how a model should look...ummm....I am not even going to touch the not decent enough to scub my floors comment....

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by ILuvRobin
    ...I am not saying that modeling industry is the problem per se, because when a person starve themselves it is a deeper issue
    There's nothing per se about it. It's not a cause.

What if many can not live up to that fantasy and they are dead...
    They can become architects, doctors, ice cream vendors, singers, computer programmers, secretaries, nuns, artists, teachers, etc. No one is asking them to be models. There's more than enough people in that pool.

What if they are missing out the next Supermodel because they have this pre-conceived idea of how a model should look
    Arthur Ashe once said the world's best tennis player may not even have ever held a racquet in his hand. So what? We're going to waste time pondering on what we're missing out or give our all to the top notch talent we do have?

...ummm....I am not even going to touch the not decent enough to scub my floors comment...
    I don't know what "scubbing" is but I wouldn't let her do that either.

ILuvRobin
    Originally posted by Deep Dish
    There's nothing per se about it. It's not a cause.

They can become architects, doctors, ice cream vendors, singers, computer programmers, secretaries, nuns, artists, teachers, etc. No one is asking them to be models. There's more than enough people in that pool.

Arthur Ashe once said the world's best tennis player may not even have ever held a racquet in his hand. So what? We're going to waste time pondering on what we're missing out or give our all to the top notch talent we do have?

I don't know what "scubbing" is but I wouldn't let her do that either.
    I meant scrubbing...you know what I meant....yes, but now you have some one who is TOP NOTCH or has the potential to be TOP-notch and you would rather see her lose, cause she is not "thin" enough. or "proportionate", or has a "bad attitude" which is crazy reasons IMO....You know they used to say that about blacks..They weren't smart enough, not intellegent enough, blah-blah...I am not implying you are racist, or anyone else in here is...I am saying that this is the same attitude others have had until they stepped out of their comfort zone...If the Dodgers did not play Jackie Robinson, we would not have Barry Bonds or Vladimir Guerrero....Think about it, if you said that a bald-headed women with African features would be a supermodel, people would laugh...I mean the same people who consider Alex Wek beautiful are also the same that laughed at her features....If you feel she is not the best person for the job, that is ok...I just people to open their eyes and see where I am coming from....

FORT Fan
    I think that you are missing the point here ILuvRobin. This show is not to find the prettiest person to break beauty stereotypes (they have beauty pagaents for that). the point of the show is to find a model. A models job is to display clothes. One cannot display clothes unless they have a proportionate body. They can be HUGE on top as long as they are HUGE on bottom, or else the clothes will not fall correctly to show the actual figure and line of the clothes from any angle. Hence, most models are insanely skinny because they are the most proportionate people around. there is little variation along their bodies. Most "plus size" people are not proportionate and thus it is very difficult to find a good plus size model. We are not looking to break the boundries of beauty. modeling is not about beauty. When you finally understand that, you will understand the problem with Robyn.

ILuvRobin
    there a lot of women that are built that way, why not represent them too..It is about beauty, or what is consider the ideal beauty...Matty that is my point....who is the say what looks good on a person cause they are huge on the bottom and not on top and vice-versa....I know what you mean, Matty..That is why it will take ideals to change and what not....If they go by past ideals she will lose, but if they pick the right one and build off her, then she is the best...Not just cause she is beautiful but because she can break new ground and open up the modeling business to a broader audience i.e. more sales

FORT Fan
    you still don't get it. Modeling is NOT about the models bodies. The only part the body has is in acting as a tapsetry for the clothes. To show off all the lines of the clothes. when a runway is surrounded by 3,000 people who can't see the top of the clothes because the proportions of the girls don't allow them to, there is a problem. They are NOT looking for beauty. That's what Ms. America is for. I am sure that Robyn could do that. Models are NOT the ideal. The beauty pagaent people are.

I am glad that i finally figured out what is making you go crazy on everyone in these boards. You don't understand the point of a model. When you do, maybe you will realize that Robyn is not a good plus size model because she cannot show the clothes. She may be fine in print, but could never do runway (hence "there is no market for her (in France)")

Matty and ILuvRobin, if y'all want to continue this discussion, you might want to consider doing it via private message...

Spring & Fall: Preferred
    There's a well-known model who has a disproportionate body. She's smallish on top, with a tiny waist and has very wide hips (especially for a model). Elsa Benitez has done haute couture, but recently she's been in some of those Sports Illustrated things. The differences between this woman and Robin are many, I'm sure, but one big difference is that this woman is extremely thin (so the wideness of her hips is still relative).

Bathing suit shot: http://www.iespana.es/cinemusicmodels/images/elsa39.jpg

Another bathing suit shot: http://www.iespana.es/cinemusicmodels/images/elsa74.jpg

I think you can have a disproportionate body, so long as it is pleasing to designers and photographers.

FORT Newbie

Is modeling really just about the clothes?

I recognize that the clothes worn on runways are designed for thin bodies. Honestly, though, modeling isn't just about making the clothes look good, is it? And if it is, why a nude shoot? Or a shoot for a contact commercial, for that matter? Surely that isn't about clothes. Neither are skin product ads, make-up, jewelry, etc.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Abelard
    There's a well-known model who has a disproportionate body. She's smallish on top, with a tiny waist and has very wide hips (especially for a model). Elsa Benitez has done haute couture, but recently she's been in some of those Sports Illustrated things.
    : Abelard, there is nothing disproportionate about this woman! She's a 34-24-34. The only thing disproportionate about her is that she's married to Rony Seikaly!

The differences between this woman and Robin are many, I'm sure, but one big difference is that this woman is extremely thin (so the wideness of her hips is still relative).
    I'll say about a 9 point difference, Elsa being a 10 and Robin a 1.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast