Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Four

ILuvRobin
    Originally posted by jumad
    I like how Elyse photographs. She seems innocent yet you know she can handle herself. Look how confident she was going to all those interviews! I like Adrienne too. I felt bad for her experience in Paris.

Robin and SHannon are pretty. But out of those two Robin has the attitude to win and go on to final three.

Remember this is for SUPERMODEL stardom and I think it will be Elyse ,she fits the profile!
    It is funny you mention that Elyse fits the profile....it is that statement that has made many women who does not look like that become bulemic or anorexic....if you are built that way it is one thing....However, if you are not you should not be penalized for that...If the industry wants to make a statement, Robin is the best...Not because she fits the profile but because she has the potential to be the trend setter...I do think you are right on Robin and shannon, it looks like that it comes down to them, and Shannon will get eliminated.....

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by ILuvRobin
    It is funny you mention that Elyse fits the profile....it is that statement that has made many women who does not look like that become bulemic or anorexic...
    Cultural and social factors by themselves are not causes of eating disorders. A person needs to be predisposed to developing bulimia or anorexia. What makes a person predisposed? If you or I knew, we'd be wiping ourselves with $100 bills because we solved the problem.

This might be "just" a reality tv messageboard, but spreading medical misinformation by packaging it into simplistic soundbites is irresponsible. I urge you to take the time to go to WebMD.com or something and read up on these disorders instead of blaming modeling or the fashion industry.

If the industry wants to make a statement, Robin is the best...Not because she fits the profile but because she has the potential to be the trend setter...
    And what statement would that be? "Buy our really expensive clothes and we'll guarantee you look the exact same as you always do?" "Wear our exclusive perfume and you'll feel you're ready to for a day at Costco?"

The fashion industry is making more than enough money to care what realists have to say. They are too busy successfully selling fantasy. Robin isn't a standard-size model, she's not proportioned to be a plus-size model and she's not decent enough to scrub my floors.

I am not the person who made the list of criteria for models....profiles....I am stating what I happen to notice amongst models and not just ones on TV.
    Yes, Robin is beautiful, when I first started watching about 4 episodes I thought WOW! She's great, but as the shows have continued I have noticed her bad attitude and THAT"S not beautiful. My opinion of her has diminished...ON THE PROGRAM!!! So this is NOT personal. I appreciate ILUVROBIN's loyalty...if you can call it that for watching a tv program.

Maybe, I'm just not taking reality television seriously enough

Originally posted by hepcat
    As much as I like this show, and my two favorites, Adrianne & Elyse, they just don't seem SUPERMODEL to me. I wish them success in whatever they end up doing, but are they really going to become icons? Household names? Opening up their own cafe in NYC? Can't see it.
    I don't think to be a top model you have to be a household name. I mean, there's Giselle Bunchen (sp?) and Tyra Banks... but I'm not even sure if my parents would be able to name those two. Most of America's household names seem to come from movies and music, not modeling.

I can see Elyse, Adrienne, and Shannon all having very successful modeling careers. I can imagine them in Vogue and doing Gucci runway shows, which is close enough to top model status for me. :cool:

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Salome
    I don't think to be a top model you have to be a household name.
    Correct. The most in-demand models of the moment are not household names.

I mean, there's Giselle Bunchen (sp?) and Tyra Banks... but I'm not even sure if my parents would be able to name those two.
    But you and enough non-industry people can. That's where the "super" part comes in, when the models acheive notariety beyond already accomplished success within the industry.

I can see Elyse, Adrienne, and Shannon all having very successful modeling careers. I can imagine them in Vogue and doing Gucci runway shows, which is close enough to top model status for me.
    It's very hard to be in Vogue and do to a Gucci show, in particular. I agree with you that both are definitely triumphs for a model and would give her "top" status. I just don't see it happening for either three. Pick up an issue and you'll see the difference.

It takes more than seeing a super-skinny model to develop an eating disorder. A normal woman won't become anorexic/bulimic as a result of seeing a skinny model. There's new research that suggests that there's an underlying genetic factor that can cause eating disorders to develop if there is a "trigger", such as seeing a very thin model. So, the "standrad of beauty" in hollywood and the modeling world may be partly the cause, but usually it's not. most eating disorders have nothing to do with body image, but rather, with control. I know this from personal experience and research.

FORT Fogey
    Posted by Deep Dish
    Cultural and social factors by themselves are not causes of eating disorders. A person needs to be predisposed to developing bulimia or anorexia. What makes a person predisposed? If you or I knew, we'd be wiping ourselves with $100 bills because we solved the problem.
    You said it best, DD. There is so much false information out there that we tend to have knee-jerk reactions rather than reason things out.

It's very hard to be in Vogue and do to a Gucci show, in particular. I agree with you that both are definitely triumphs for a model and would give her "top" status. I just don't see it happening for either three. Pick up an issue and you'll see the difference.
    I actually read Vogue every month (just to drool over the richness... couldn't afford anything!) and sometimes I like to watch the Style channel. So I'm much more familiar with fashion than the average person, but definitely not an expert.

I was coming to an assumption too soon when I said Elyse, Adrienne, and Shannon could all do it. I think maybe any of them possibly could, but there's no way of us really knowing, since I doubt the show has let them reveal their potential. (For example, the snake shots were excellent, but some of the photographers have seem only so-so.) Besides, with the fashion industry, you really never know!

I still do believe that Elyse, for one, could break into modeling and make a worthwhile amount of money from it. Overall, the photographers and other people in the business really seem to love her. And I can picture her in Vouge, though maybe not on the cover... not that I have the best eye for fashion anyway!

Wow, I just wrote a lot of pointless crap. I'm shutting up now.

No you didn't. Besides, it's Sunday night and pretty boring around here. Now liven it up!

I know what you mean about Vogue. I don't buy it every month but every now and then it's just such a treat. My sister-in-law is Scottish and prefers Marie Clare. So then we just have to trade off!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    I actually read Vogue every month (just to drool over the richness... couldn't afford anything!) and sometimes I like to watch the Style channel. So I'm much more familiar with fashion than the average person, but definitely not an expert.
    You've done it now, Salome. Since you do read Vogue and watch the Style Network I'm holding you to an even higher standard of why you should be seeing the difference between the ANTM finalists and models with the top ten NYC agencies!

I still do believe that Elyse, for one, could break into modeling and make a worthwhile amount of money from it. Overall, the photographers and other people in the business really seem to love her.
    I totally see what you're saying but I think the reason for this is because Elyse is the "best" of this particular lot.

No way! Videofashion and Fashion File are on in less than two hours so go watch and report back to us the latest trends!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast