Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight - double standard

Spring & Fall: Preferred
    Originally posted by ILuvRobin
    I think I see the light...I know what people like Deep Dish, and Matt is saying....Being a supermodel is a totally different "Animal" than being a model...Like Beyonce is Model material because she is pretty, but she could never be Supermodel material because she is hippy and on a runway that would not be a deteriment than some who is proportunate or thin...I see why some of you say Rob has no Chance....She is a better print model, but supermodel is a different thing....OK my eyes are open now
    You can't be a supermodel until you have become a world famous model. Supermodel is not really a job title. Notice how the show's name is "America's Next Top Model" not "America's Next Top Supermodel." You cannot make a supermodel from a t.v. show and most models are not supermodels. You might say only the models you can name (someone not in the business) are supermodels. If you know her name, her level of fame is considerable. A supermodel is someone like Gisele Bundchen or Linda Evangelista or Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell.

ILuvRobin
    Everything you said is what the link that DD put up...That gives me hope for Robin...Actually it might to her benefit to lose cause who ever wins, may not live up to the pressure

Sorry to be repetitious. ;-)

Re: Re: Weight - double standard

Originally posted by Deep Dish
    Anyone who doesn't want to be professionally judged on what they look like should not go into modeling, it's as simple as that.
    I do believe you hit the nail on the head with this comment DD!
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

Re: Re: Weight - double standard

Originally posted by Deep Dish
    This business is just like any other, that is you look for a profit. To maximize profits, you build for a standard size. That is why Robin is out.
    With all due respect , that statement makes no sense unless you're talking about mass production of, say, widgets.
    The standard size for women is 14, which means that the majority of female buyers (the ones driving the profits) could never fit into the clothes worn by these models.
    In the past, consumers knew that advertisers were selling an ideal -- nobody truly thought they'd get laid if they wore Hai Karate after-shave.
    But to hear regular folks on these boards agreeing that normal-sized Robin is "big" makes me think that younger generations have actually internalized those marketing messages -- that they truly believe that a size 2 is normal and that they're the freaks. What a shame.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

Re: Re: Re: Weight - double standard

candor,

In the high fashion/runway modeling industry, standard size is 0 to 6. Designers generally manufacture their garments to be worn within this range. It's cost effective because it basically fits any girl an agency sends clients.

The size average of the majority of women is irrelevant to the validity and accuracy of my statement you quoted for at least ten reasons.

You can read my post detailing the issue you raise here:

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...191#post218191

This is for kbaylee. Hurrah! You noticed it too! Coming from a very thin person, who as been mistaken for a boy, you are right on about what does seem to be a double-standard of weight on this show. Elyse has been accused of, and is still suspicious of, having an eating disorder, but Robin's "plus-size" does not really present a problem on the show. It's not a problem, but the subjectivity of the judges drives me crazy. I do feel that some of the judges, and her initials are Tyra Banks, seem ready to cap on Elyse's thinness, but Robin faces no such admonishment. No wonder. None of the judges is a thin person. Sometimes, I feel that they are paying lip-service to some idea out there that a thin person could not possibly be normal.

Originally posted by twoelles
    Sometimes, I feel that they are paying lip-service to some idea out there that a thin person could not possibly be normal.
    Not quite. The modeling business sees thinness as the norm.

I do understand that about the modeling biz, Abelard, but since this thread is about the double-standard of weight, people did say it best. Robin was kept until this week for some ulterior motives, and some of it probably have to do with size. Hurrah and kudos to kbaylee and the rest for finally pointing it out! Yay!

ILuvRobin
    well, I have to admit...When I first saw at least, I was very prejudiced against her weight..I thought, ok, this is everything that is wrong with modeling...After watching the show, I gain a respect for her...I realize every woman is different and should not be judge for their body types, but for their talent...She is the best suited to be a model...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12