Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Judges

The Judges

Beau Quillian
    Beau Quillian is fashion editor for Marie Claire, where he oversees fashion photo shoots that define trends featured on some of the world's most famous top models. Prior to Marie Claire, he worked for Harper's Bazaar and Mademoiselle. In addition, Quillian worked with top designers including Calvin Klein, Christian Dior and Lacoste. He began his fashion career when he moved to New York at age 19 from rural Florida and started working as a fashion assistant on photo shoots.

Janice Dickinson
    Janice Dickinson, one of the world's first supermodels, helped elevate the industry to new heights during the 70s and 80s as she graced the covers of numerous high-profile fashion magazines, including Vogue, Mademoiselle, Elle, Cosmopolitan, Time and Life. She was also featured in top designer runway shows, including Versace, Valentino, Calvin Klein, Giorgio Armani, Perry Ellis, Diane Von Furstenberg, Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors, among many others. She is founder of her own make-up line, and recently wrote her autobiography, No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel. Dickinson is now a mother of two.

Tyra Banks
    Tyra Banks is creator and executive producer of AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL. She is also the founder of Ty Ty Baby Productions.

Banks is a native of Los Angeles and began her television career as an actress with recurring roles in "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and "Felicity." She starred in the Disney made-for-television movie, "Life Size."

Banks' film experience includes leading roles in John Singleton's "Higher Learning" and Jerry Bruckheimer's "Coyote Ugly."

Banks began her modeling career in Europe and evolved into a world-renowned supermodel who has become a pioneer in the industry. She was the first African-American woman to grace the covers of GQ, Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue and the Victoria's Secret catalog. In 1997, she received the prestigious Michael Award for Supermodel of the Year. She later secured an exclusive contract with Victoria's Secret. In addition, Banks has been contracted by Swatch and Cover Girl, and has appeared in ad campaigns for Nike, Pepsi, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana.

Banks also authored Tyra's Beauty Inside & Out, published by Harper Collins (1998).

Banks founded Tzone, an annual weeklong summer camp experience for teenage girls designed to enhance independence and self-esteem. In addition, Banks has established "The Tyra Banks Scholarship," a fund that grants African-American girls the opportunity to attend her alma mater, Immaculate Heart High School, an all-girls private school in Los Angeles.

Kimora Lee Simmons
    Kimora Lee Simmons is CEO and creative director of Baby Phat. At age 13, she became the muse to the house of Chanel and its designer, Karl Lagerfeld. Her sexy designs reflect the buoyant energy and her strong opinions of style lent from her experiences as a model and a hip-hop socialite.

*information from http://www.upn.com/shows/top_model/judges.shtml

FORT Regular
    I thought that I'd repost this here (originally posted under the Epi. 4 thread) since it's even more appropriate to this thread!

Article I found online about Janice 'See my Breasts' Dickinson (see picture above if you don't know what I'm talking about!):

A moment with ... Janice Dickinson, model/photographer/author
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER STAFF

Days after graduating from high school in Hollywood, Fla., Janice Dickinson headed for New York seeking a modeling career. She'd won a national competition, "Miss High Fashion Model," and thought New York was waiting for her. Wrong! Eileen Ford, head of the legendary modeling agency, declared Dickinson, who is Polish, "Much too ethnic. You'll never work."

Photos from her book "No Lifeguard on Duty" show Dickinson during her modeling career.
    In the 1970s, blue-eyed blondes ruled runways, magazine covers and the ads inside. But another agency owner, Wilhelmina, thought she had an interesting look and signed her on. French and Italian designers and photographers adored her. She returned to New York as one of the first supermodels, earning $2,000 per day when the going rate was about $75.

Drugs, alcohol and a new crop of models pushed her from the limelight. At 33 she moved to L.A. to "reinvent myself." At 40 she hit bottom. Today, at 47, she's clean, sober, a PTA member. And she's written a book, "No Lifeguard on Duty" that tells all -- from childhood abuse to sexual encounters with everyone from Mick Jagger to Sylvester Stallone.

On modeling today: "It's an ugly, dark industry. Last week in New York (working as a guest editor for More magazine) there were still empty Champagne bottles backstage at shows. Mothers don't let your daughters grow up to be models unless you're present. Photo shoots for underage girls are like letting an ant walk around with honey. Savvy (her daughter) wants to be a veterinarian and that's fine with me."

On self-help books: "Self-help books are for the birds. Self-help groups are where it's at. Or, use 'No Lifeguard on Duty' as a No. 1 self-help book. I've been the queen of dysfunction and made every mistake one can make."

On surviving three marriages: "Because I'm an alcoholic and drug addict, because I spent my life running and drowning, I wish I knew (then) what I know now, thanks to my recovery program. I wish I'd gotten sober at a younger age. I got moral. My children are raised morally."

On her mantra ("Fake it till you make it"): "It came from the 12-step program. It means 'act as if': Act like a courteous person. Act as if you're a human being. I made mistakes by being a narcissistic bitch."

On her best pickup line: "I can wrap my legs around my neck. (She demonstrates.) Can you? It worked with Stallone."

-- Susan Phinney

FORT Regular
    Wow...and I'd never even heard of Kimora Lee Simmons (or her hubby Russell Simmons) prior to this!

"Russell Simmons Living Larger"

Russell Simmons is getting a snazzy new office that's big enough to house his expanding business empire. Next month, Simmons will move his fashion-and-entertainment conglomerate to the top three floors of a Manhattan office building, where he will have a dramatic city backdrop for media interviews. The companies owned by Simmons--Rush Entertainment, Phat Farm, and Rush Philanthropic--will call the new offices home. Simmons's chief financial officer Rich Slomovitz told yesterday's (December 10) New York Post, "We are moving because of the growth and doubling the size of the space." Simmons's wife, Kimora Lee Simmons, will also run the Baby Phat fashion line out of her husband's new offices, and the couple is having better luck in the office department than with their Battery Park City condo. According to the Post, Simmons and his wife recently let Sean "P. Diddy" Combs off the hook from a multimillion-dollar deal to buy their lower Manhattan condominium in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks that took place near Battery Park City.

-from LAUNCH media
    (Russell and Kimora have two children.)

FORT Fogey
    Great info, Carlylicious!

FORT Fogey
    Kimora Lee Simmons was also a judge at the 2001 Ford Models Supermodel of the World held in Miami Beach. The Ford Models Supermodel of the World Search is a major big deal for finding talent from countries across the globe.

This further goes to show that the expert panel of judges on ANTM is really that. Well, I'm still pondering Janice.

FORT Fogey
    Kimora's Baby Phat line is online and the site is still a work in progress, but it shows promise.

It's very Hawaiian (think Island) themed.

On a more personal note, I just scored with a pair of her cool jeans. Well, they're not hers, they're mine now.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by CaliGirl
    ...I just scored with a pair of her cool jeans. Well, they're not hers, they're mine now.
    Ooh, those are cool! Can we expect a new Avatar with you modeling the demin in question?

Janice's face matches her personality.

In this week and last week's episodes, I found Janice to be extremely ugly. Maybe it's the way she covered those huge collagen lips with red lipstick last week. I hate how she is judging these girl's "beauty" when she doesn't know what it is herself.

I think she looks as ugly as Jocelyne Wildenstein, also known as "Catwoman" because of the amount of plastic surgery she's had, seen here. Michael Jacksonesque horror if you know what I mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FORT Fogey

Re: Janice's face matches her personality.

Originally posted by realitynut
    I hate how she is judging these girl's "beauty" when she doesn't know what it is herself.
    Janice knows what she's talking about but I quickly dismiss it because she's so stuck in her own pseduo-importance to the industry.

Still, her comments can be mean or funny but always entertaining.

i just saw janice dickinson on dr. phil talking about her plastic surgery and how she thinks we need to change the message to young girls about strict physical standards. etc, etc. not to be uncompassionate or anything, but she came off as a hypocritical whack job! she was so upset about these issues on dr. phil yet says the things she says to and about these young women?????????? did anyone else see dr. phil? let me know if i'm off the mark here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast