Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Episode 4 show discussion *spoilers*

well, the camera really doesn't add ten pounds, it just emphasis what's there a little more( i.e., if you have a sharp jaw, or sharp cheekbones, they'll appear sharper, and so on). i've been on camera a few times, and obviously, in photographs many times. i'm naturally thin, and if the camera added ten pounds, i would look horrible in real life.

FORT Regular
    No one wants to see themselves up on the runway. They want to see a more idealized version. -DeepDish
    Well...speaking for myself, my idealized version of myself looks NOTHING like Elyse! It looks far more like Tyra, or even a little bit
    more curvacious (sans stretch marks, scars from c-sections, etc.) than that even.

And who would I rather see walking down a runway? Someone who has a bit of shape, on whom the clothes actually look like they will on a real person! Honestly, I'd rather see Delta Burke on a runway than Twiggy!

Well, the camera really doesn't add ten pounds, it just emphasis what's there a little more( i.e., if you have a sharp jaw, or sharp cheekbones, they'll appear sharper, and so on). i've been on camera a few times, and obviously, in photographs many times. i'm naturally thin, and if the camera added ten pounds, i would look horrible in real life. -Positum
    I'm repeating what I've heard pro's in the field say here, and I also used to model years ago when I was in high school and college...that the camera (still or video) adds 10 pounds to you.

All this said, I still think that models are often much too thin, and they don't even look good in the clothes (etc) that they're modeling.

Last edited by Carlylicious; 06-12-2003 at 05:13 PM.

I have to echo what someone else said - often you see Elyse eating an apple at random times (between meals). It's my understanding that anorexics (that's what we're implying, right?) don't eat in public, claim they already ate or aren't hungry, have trouble pushing a salad around to look eaten in front of their relatives. I don't get the food disorder vibe from her. She's pre-med - maybe she just eats healthy on top of being naturally skinny.

I have known people with Elyse's body type and they were teased mercilessly, especially the tall + skinny combo. It take courage to play up your body type when it's not the most popular sort of look...she could have gone another direction and felt pressure to get silcone implants.

I think Elyse has a lot of poise & confidence, and I love her wicked moments on camera. She reminds me of people I hung out with in college.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by hepcat
    I have known people with Elyse's body type and they were teased mercilessly, especially the tall + skinny combo. It take courage to play up your body type when it's not the most popular sort of look...she could have gone another direction and felt pressure to get silcone implants.

I think Elyse has a lot of poise & confidence, and I love her wicked moments on camera. She reminds me of people I hung out with in college.
    Well said, hepcat.

When the 20 semi-finalists all met in L.A. for the first time back in Episode One, one of the recurring themes was how they all weren't the most sought after girls in high school because of their heights and body types.

This is why modeling scouts and agencies have to be like wine-makers. They have to see what will be there, not what is necessarily there right now.

FORT Regular
    I have to echo what someone else said - often you see Elyse eating an apple at random times (between meals). It's my understanding that anorexics (that's what we're implying, right?) don't eat in public, claim they already ate or aren't hungry, have trouble pushing a salad around to look eaten in front of their relatives. I don't get the food disorder vibe from her.
    I just wanted to clarify that I'm not implying she has an eating disorder. (I can't speak for anyone else here.) There's a leap between saying that someone isn't taking good care of themselves & eating enough, and saying that they're anorexic.
    I don't think we've seen enough, or know enough yet, about Elyse to know if she does/doesn't have an eating disorder.

I have to echo what someone else said - often you see Elyse eating an apple at random times (between meals). It's my understanding that anorexics (that's what we're implying, right?) don't eat in public, claim they already ate or aren't hungry, have trouble pushing a salad around to look eaten in front of their relatives. I don't get the food disorder vibe from her.
    I had experience with eating disorders, and although we really don't know if she has one or not, I, personally, see things that are quite fishy. First off, eating oatmeal at a pizzeria? Not normal. And although she was eating an apple, she still could have an eating disorder, whether it's full-blown anorexia, or somethign else. Not all anorexics refuse to eat whatsoever. Most just have a very low calorie intake. For all we know, she may only eat oatmeal and an apple all day, and that's it, but then again, she could just be naturally thin, and is simply very stressed, and finds it hard to eat. We really can't say until Tuesday's episode, and even then, no one can be sure except Elyse. The comment by Robyn, however, that she stands in front of the mirror and pinches in her waist is very characteristic of individuals with eatign disorders.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Positum
    The comment by Robyn, however, that she stands in front of the mirror and pinches in her waist is very characteristic of individuals with eatign disorders.
    Then again, Robin isn't doing too well by standing in front of mirrors either. She's been late for the mock runway show and the first morning workout with their personal trainer for checking herself out.

Originally posted by Positum
    The comment by Robyn, however, that she stands in front of the mirror and pinches in her waist is very characteristic of individuals with eatign disorders.

I missed that! When did Robyn say that?

I agree, that puts a little different spin on things. I wonder how common eating disorders are among models? If Tyra et al are really interested in training up a model then they should at least mention nutrition at some point - how to eat right so that you don't have to starve yourself.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    I missed that! When did Robyn say that?
    In the preview to next week's show, hepcat.

Spring & Fall: Preferred
    Since we know that Elyse is 5'10" and weighs 114lbs, we do know that she is beyond thin. Skinny is a good word. A good number of models have thin bodytypes. Elyse has a thin bodytype. You can be thin naturally and also have an eating disorder. Small things we've seen--e.g., the oatmeal incident, the apple eating--suggest that she has some issues with food. I've known a good number of anorexics. Some only drink liquid in public, but when you live with them you get to see their eating habits. I know someone who used to subsist on an apple, two carrots, a celery stick, a couple crackers a day. I also know someone who would only eat a plain salad (lettuce, carrots, soy sauce [protein?]) over the course of a whole day. Since we don't watch Elyse for 24 straight hours, we can't really be sure what she eats. However, I think the other women will know if they have paid attention. I wonder if Elyse thinks that she is not thin. She's somewhat irritable too. When I'm hungry I get like that. ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast