+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Results 101 to 107 of 107
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Where Are They Now?

  1. #101
    FORT Fogey lilymax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: Where Are They Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    According to an interview here (remember back when we got those great post-elimination interviews?) with Whitney (black plus-sized model), Renee was not as abrasive as she was portrayed.

    Whitney blasted the show for manufacturing "conflicts" where there weren't any, making a moment where they were joking around with each other look like a moment where Renee attacked her for no reason, getting up in her face and saying "A plus-sized model will never be on the cover of VOGUE".

    She said in contrast to her presentation on ANTM, Renee was actually sweet and motherly towards everyone.

    One thing to remember about C8 is that for some reason, the top four included three contestants who had children-- Renee, Natasha, and "Wholahay"/"Brown"/whatever that poor girl's name was before Tyra changed it. Of those four, only Jaslene had no "mama responsibilities"-- and she was the "comeback kid", almost getting into C7 but cut from the finalists.

    Really sad to hear about Renee winding up the way she did, though-- and Jael from the same cycle.
    Good to read this. Very interesting! I wondered...because you'd see Renee supposedly behaving very badly, but most of the time she was very sweet and really supportive to the other girls. I wondered at the time what was up with that. Jael...oh lord she was a mess. You couldn't help but like her sometimes, but she did not read "model" to me at all! Thought Tyra and company had lost their minds on that one.

    I always did feel that the reason Jaslene won was so they could have their comeback kid moment. Tyra covered lots of bases with that win; from her nationality to her coming back for another try. For me, it never made sense that anybody would get a second shot, because if they weren't even good enough to make the house the first time, what really would change that? It never made sense to me, and Jaslene had a very abrasive personality too.

  2. #102
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,811

    Re: Where Are They Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I always did feel that the reason Jaslene won was so they could have their comeback kid moment. Tyra covered lots of bases with that win; from her nationality to her coming back for another try. For me, it never made sense that anybody would get a second shot, because if they weren't even good enough to make the house the first time, what really would change that? It never made sense to me, and Jaslene had a very abrasive personality too.
    I have to admit, I was NOT a fan of Jaslene, and felt Natasha should've won of the final two. That said, I've seen her work since and she's definitely shown her skills. One of these reasons was she gained weight and looks a much healthier normal, not so bone thin as she did on the show. Yes, this may seem shallow, but I really thought she was just too thin and was more worried the industry would take her life away when I saw her so thin.

    In fairness, the only model on this series who won whom I felt did NOT deserve it in some form or fashion was Saleshia.

    As far as Renee, I thought she was wonderful on that show as well as a model. That said, pressures and other things in life can either make us or break us. We've sadly seen this with Jael and Renee, as well as several other models, including the one who was killed just last year. I hope this will turn her life around though and for the better.
    lilymax likes this.

  3. #103
    FORT Fogey lilymax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: Where Are They Now?

    OMG yes, Saleisha! she was horrible. after that makeover, everybody called her "tootie" because of that character's hairdo on the Facts of Life. lol. I liked Chantal, and truthfully I felt she would have a much better chance as a model. I don't know if that's what she's doing, but I thought I read something about her then saw online that she was actually doing some modeling. I hope so. She seemed to actually really want to be a model. She sure had the body and the looks for it.

    Unlike you, I remember always thinking Tyra and crew made really bad choices. And I primarily blamed Tyra, even though I remember her moment where she carefully explained that she has no more power in the voting than the other judges do. Hmmmm...ok, sure Tyra whatever you say! It could be true, I guess.

    I usually liked one of the girls who finished in the top three though. I don't know why, but for some reason I wanted Caridee to win her cycle. Remember her horrible walk in the finale, with the bridal gowns in the tunnels? That was funny. And Melrose was mad that she didn't win. To give her credit, she did work hard at it, and she wanted it quite badly. I think they thought she looked too old, but I think about those commercials with Caridee now and..... yeah, Melrose might have made a better model. I don't know if Caridee just never really did any real modeling after ANTM or what, but with those poses in the commercials, I can't see anybody hiring her for her poses.

    I thought MKey was pretty bad too. She had a weird face, she was pretty but her lips looked like they were twisted, or made of something melting. Odd. Don't know if Sam would have been better or not. I liked her ok, but I did not like her hair in that short style. Maybe short hair would be good on her, not that style though. she looked sort of masculine after they cut her hair off. I remember being really pissed that cycle when they sent home Clarke and then Lauren Brie too. Those two could be models. I think?

    Those old cycles! remember how they made a fool of Celia because of her ratting out another girl saying she wanted to go home? she never recovered from that but at least she made it pretty far. she had such good style. i didn't like them saying she looked old, either. who won that cycle? oh yeah it was teona, right? didn't she have another girl she hung out with, who was really tall and pretty but mean? i didn't like those two. her name starts with an "a" I think, but I can't remember it. I think she has been on more than one cycle of PR. she had the body to be a model that's for sure, but nasty attitude. and teona...well i just never figured that one out! i thought she looked like a bug smashed against a windshield. i remember i liked that strange girl, a skinny little blonde who liked blood or something, people thought she was strange, but she was super nice and took fantastic pics because of her huge eyes. i wanted her to win. she also didn't win when she came back in the all stars cycle against that AWFUL Angelea and the rest. I guess Lisa won that time. I can't figure out why they picked her over the one with the big eyes. she had a very editorial look.

    So you see, I rarely agreed with who they chose as the winner. Well, so much for my trip down memory lane!
    Axeljoe likes this.

  4. #104
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,811

    Re: Where Are They Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I liked Chantal, and truthfully I felt she would have a much better chance as a model. I don't know if that's what she's doing, but I thought I read something about her then saw online that she was actually doing some modeling. I hope so. She seemed to actually really want to be a model. She sure had the body and the looks for it.
    Last time I checked, Chantal's still doing modeling while Saleshia does a bit in music.

    Unlike you, I remember always thinking Tyra and crew made really bad choices. And I primarily blamed Tyra, even though I remember her moment where she carefully explained that she has no more power in the voting than the other judges do. Hmmmm...ok, sure Tyra whatever you say! It could be true, I guess.
    She made the best choice I think with Yoanna in cycle 2. Yoanna could do high fashion and commercial. The only problem she had to really deal with was weight, but she had a pretty long career post series. Not many of the winners can say this.

    There are a few others I have liked too, but would've preferred the runner-up over the winner. Season one, Elyse should've won, but I think for her long term it was better she didn't. I think Norelle should've been at least in the final four/three, though her cycle (Eva won) the final 5 or so really were good models.

    I usually liked one of the girls who finished in the top three though. I don't know why, but for some reason I wanted Caridee to win her cycle. Remember her horrible walk in the finale, with the bridal gowns in the tunnels? That was funny. And Melrose was mad that she didn't win. To give her credit, she did work hard at it, and she wanted it quite badly. I think they thought she looked too old, but I think about those commercials with Caridee now and..... yeah, Melrose might have made a better model. I don't know if Caridee just never really did any real modeling after ANTM or what, but with those poses in the commercials, I can't see anybody hiring her for her poses.
    One of the rare seasons I felt BOTH models should've won. The other one I'd say was Joanie and Dani - the ONLY season though I felt BOTH should've won.

    In fairness to Caridee as far as the commercial with her modeling - she's having to play the stereotype, not the real model. The bigger bug I have with that commercial is that it's QUITE clear they're not taking real photos... the flash kept going off AFTER she'd move to another scene. Still, she has done some print work as well.

    I thought MKey was pretty bad too. She had a weird face, she was pretty but her lips looked like they were twisted, or made of something melting. Odd. Don't know if Sam would have been better or not. I liked her ok, but I did not like her hair in that short style. Maybe short hair would be good on her, not that style though. she looked sort of masculine after they cut her hair off. I remember being really pissed that cycle when they sent home Clarke and then Lauren Brie too. Those two could be models. I think?
    I personally liked McKey and felt she was a stronger winner. She's done some work, but since having children, I think she's focused more on family, which I respect a WHOLE lot more.

    I felt that SAM was the one in this season who shouldn't have been runner-up. I felt it should've been Analeigh. As far as the other two, they've had some modeling, but not a lot.

    Raina is one too whom I felt should've won, but in the end she has had FAR better success on her own. She has done some commercial work and print work.

    Those old cycles! remember how they made a fool of Celia because of her ratting out another girl saying she wanted to go home? she never recovered from that but at least she made it pretty far. she had such good style. i didn't like them saying she looked old, either. who won that cycle? oh yeah it was teona, right? didn't she have another girl she hung out with, who was really tall and pretty but mean? i didn't like those two. her name starts with an "a" I think, but I can't remember it. I think she has been on more than one cycle of PR. she had the body to be a model that's for sure, but nasty attitude. and teona...well i just never figured that one out! i thought she looked like a bug smashed against a windshield. i remember i liked that strange girl, a skinny little blonde who liked blood or something, people thought she was strange, but she was super nice and took fantastic pics because of her huge eyes. i wanted her to win. she also didn't win when she came back in the all stars cycle against that AWFUL Angelea and the rest. I guess Lisa won that time. I can't figure out why they picked her over the one with the big eyes. she had a very editorial look.
    Celia to me was one of the best of that season and was eliminated far too early. I still however HATED that bikini they put on her for that beach scene shot - it looked like a jock strap honestly.

    Teyonna won over Allison (the girl with the large eyes).

    And yes, Allison was cheated out of deserving wins TWICE. I liked Lisa well enough, but she shouldn't have won over Allison. I'd rather it been Angelea if they really were going to go with a Lisa/Angelea final two, who had actually won (!) before being disqualified for being an escort.

    Since, Allison has done a TON of work, while Teyonna has faded away.

    So you see, I rarely agreed with who they chose as the winner. Well, so much for my trip down memory lane!
    Hey, it's good because after this season of ANTM, that's all that will be left - memories. I'm glad the CW has finally canceled the show - or would've if Tyra chose to not move on - not sure which one is actually right (I'm thinking former myself).
    Axeljoe likes this.

  5. #105
    ~ SurrnderDorothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    429

    Re: Where Are They Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    Unlike you, I remember always thinking Tyra and crew made really bad choices. And I primarily blamed Tyra, even though I remember her moment where she carefully explained that she has no more power in the voting than the other judges do. Hmmmm...ok, sure Tyra whatever you say! It could be true, I guess.
    On the other hand, Tyra has repeatedly talked about how she goes through "the film" and chooses the photo that the model's being judged on. I don't think the other judges get to see the entire set of shots for each model, and have to make their assessment based on what Tyra has pre-selected to represent the model's "best shot" and overall performance for the week.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I don't know why, but for some reason I wanted Caridee to win her cycle. Remember her horrible walk in the finale, with the bridal gowns in the tunnels? That was funny. And Melrose was mad that she didn't win. To give her credit, she did work hard at it, and she wanted it quite badly. I think they thought she looked too old, but I think about those commercials with Caridee now and..... yeah, Melrose might have made a better model. I don't know if Caridee just never really did any real modeling after ANTM or what, but with those poses in the commercials, I can't see anybody hiring her for her poses.
    The runway walk was in a section of Barcelona's Parc Guelph, and it was supposed to be "ghostly brides". Ms J had demonstrated how Melrose and Caridee were supposed to work the theme, and I think Caridee took his eye-bugging performance seriously and thought they wanted over-the top performance along with the walk. Personally, I loved the part where she got to the end of the runway for the last time, clutched her gown around her and pointed accusingly into the audience, and screamed.

    Melrose, on the other hand, threw an absolute diva fit backstage over Caridee stepping on her gown and kept haranguing everyone about it ("She RUINED a designer original!!") until Jay Manuel told her to shut up and focus on modeling.

    And I really wish people wouldn't judge Caridee for those Stelara commercials she did. She was there as "a recognizable person with psoriasis who overcame it and became a model", not as a model in a typical fashion or product commercial.

  6. #106
    FORT Fogey lilymax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: Where Are They Now?

    I wasn't really judging Caridee as I always thought she was a fun kind of a girl, and nice. I didn't think her walk was good though, not for modeling. I am sure she learned as she went on though.

    Melrose did bring on the drama about that gown though, that was funny.

    I thought Joanie and Danielle both should have won too! That for me was also the one time I felt two should have been chosen. They were both really good. Beautiful girls, and nice ones too.

    I didn't know Angelea had lost that season because she was an escort, but may I say I am not really surprised. That's kind of funny. I guess it's in a morals clause or something that they can't be involved in any adult type of industry? Everybody was theorizing that she was either preggo or it was an issue of her having representation or something (which i found hard to believe, since I doubted anybody would want to work with her). This woman was probably the one I really disliked strongly over anybody on any of the cycles. She was nothing but a thug, a common street thug, and I was shocked and dismayed to see her return after not making the house, and then being touted as being wonderful in her pictures. Honestly, I thought she was fugly. Part of that being her personality. I guess I would have been glad Lisa won if Angelea really had won before they found out what she was up to. That's interesting to know.

    I liked Raina's look too, always thought she should have won but as you say, for her and for Elyse too, it was probably better for their careers that they did not. I know Elyse has done loads of modeling. Yoanna was a good choice, I thought. As for Adrienne, No No No! Just NO. She talked and looked like a heroin addict. Much of the time. Shannon or Elyse would have been better imho.

    It's good to know that some of these girls really went on to have actual careers. They may not be household names, but they are probably glad to be working at something they really wanted to do.

  7. #107
    ~ SurrnderDorothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    429

    Re: Where Are They Now?

    Coco46 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.