+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: ANTM Fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel

Re: ANTM Fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I can't remember the last time we saw Benny Ninja, I never did *get* him.
    Okay, assuming I'm reading your comment correctly, a bit of history:

Benny Ninja-- like Ms. J, the "Aswirl Twins" and a few others Tyra has featured-- comes from the tradition of drag balls in the urban black community. They've been going on in Harlem for close to 100 years now, and were documented in Jennie Livingston's film "Paris Is Burning", which I believe is still on Netflix Streaming.

In that film, one of the interviewees in the late Willie Ninja, "father of the legendary House of Ninja" (i.e., head of a group/"family" of drag queens taking the name "Ninja"). He is shown coaching women in movement classes and talks about his work with designers and appearances in music videos. This was during Tyra's early years, and while I'm not sure if she worked with him, I'm sure she knew plenty of others who had.

Benny Ninja is Willie's protogee, a member of the "House of Ninja," and is one of a number of men like Ms. J who actually work with fashion models coaching runway and other movement.

While it may seem strange to go to a drag queen for this, remember that a large part of the illusion they create is the way they carry themselves and how they move. They're masters/mistresses of the art of presenting oneself on stage/runway.
    Shoepie and Allie like this.

I didn't know all that, SurrnderDorothy. Cool info. And that makes sense on the runway.

I just checked, and "Paris Is Burning" (1990) is still available on Netflix Instant streaming, and will be for quite a while.

If you have the service and have never seen the film, I highly recommend it. At the time, it sort of rode the coattails of Madonna's "Vogue" song/video, but this is what she based it on-- the art of "voguing," which is sort of a pose-off combined with a duel. Believe me, it's not that "hands framing the face and arms in the air" thing Madge does in the video. It's fierce with a capital "FEE".

When two drag queens go at each other on the ballroom floor, each trying to top the other with posing and each trying to get in the other's face and rattle her without touching her... well, Tyra just wishes she could get poses like this at her shoots.

Tyra has spoken out defending the firings.

Tyra Speaks Out on ‘Top Model’ Firings: Show Needed ‘New Boost’ | XFINITY TV Blog by Comcast

The show would have gotten a bigger boost if she had fired herself.
    ness, Coco46 and jucamer like this.

Mr Jay and Miss J should start their own show - I would watch that in a minute.
    cablejockey, ness and mushybrain like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Tyra has spoken out defending the firings.

Tyra Speaks Out on ‘Top Model’ Firings: Show Needed ‘New Boost’ | XFINITY TV Blog by Comcast

The show would have gotten a bigger boost if she had fired herself.
    Well, I agree it needs a boost. I FF most of it now. It needs a new format too. There has to be more to these firings than just replacing people.

The firings really don't give the show a boost unless it comes with a complete overhaul of the show/format.

I find that often Mr. Jay has a really good eye at the shoots and his comments about who's the strongest are often completely opposite to Tyra's. It's good to be officially done with this show after years of watching "just because I always have".
    jucamer likes this.

Wow! I'm shocked and disappointed. I loved both of the Jays and thought highly of Nigel, too.

I think Tyra has gone off the deep end the last couple of cycles and I've questioned some of her decisions regarding the thrust of the show's tasks etc. She's just become sooooo high on herself and it's showing. It's all about HER and not about modeling.

Firing those three guys isn't going to help the ratings of ANTM, IMO. Tyra needs to look within herself right now.

As long as I'm here I must go on record in saying I despise the new female judge (I think her name is Kelly). SHE'S the one who should have been given the boot!!!
    sunshine3331 and jucamer like this.

As long as I'm here I must go on record in saying I despise the new female judge (I think her name is Kelly). SHE'S the one who should have been given the boot!!!

I like Kelly She isn't very nice, but she knows the business! I hope she stays
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Wow! I'm shocked and disappointed. I loved both of the Jays and thought highly of Nigel, too.

I think Tyra has gone off the deep end the last couple of cycles and I've questioned some of her decisions regarding the thrust of the show's tasks etc. She's just become sooooo high on herself and it's showing. It's all about HER and not about modeling.

Firing those three guys isn't going to help the ratings of ANTM, IMO. Tyra needs to look within herself right now.

I liked Kelly on her show Kell On Earth but I do NOT like her on ANTM (I will admit I have only watched a couple of shows this cycle). On her show she worked behind the scenes of fashion shows & IMO that's where she belongs. She needs a total makeover - she always dresses so sloppily & doesn't seem to have a positive personality. I don't think this show will be around much longer. A shame because it used to be so good.....
    Shoepie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast