+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Louise had an attitude but, honestly, this Kelly person (the new judge) seems like such a witch.
    She comes across as bully, but much like Simon was on AI. They need to know what its really like out there, and Kelly would be mild compared to what they are going to meet up with.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Truthfully, Kelly doesn't seem as mean as she could be... Janice was way worst and more outspoken and loud. Janice could be ruthless but I always thought she cared too.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    I think what jadewarlock was saying was that four models-- Sophie, "the gal with the red, white and blue hair" (Laura), AzMarie, and "the British contestant with the magenta hair" (Catharine)-- really stood out from the rest, even though the names of two couldn't be recalled.

And I agree, though I'd have added Louise to that if she hadn't crashed and burned.
    Ahh thank you! I am still learning all their names as well ( sorry jadewarlock)

I just saw the episode that airs tonight( that you have seen) I am so sorry Louise walked out. She was very high strung, that's why she was constantly gnawing on her fingers at judging.I thought her photo was the best of the lot.AZ also had a great photo. Loved seeing Cat on panel.
    -Andy Rooney-

Well... not too surprised with the turnout, but the British models overall had better photos IMHO and yet they were all criticized. Fortunately most of them take the criticism well, and to a point I agreed on Sophie's with the angles issue. As far as Kelly Cutrone's comments about it being a maternity dress... well lady... it's shaped like one, so no matter how Sophie angled herself she was going to look that way.

Oh and to dear old Nigel - low riders/tricked out cars like that you should know are not common in Britian, so the models might not know how to work with them. I felt your criticism of Sophie's shoot for that was a bit too much. Even someone such as myself who deals with these cars every so often for my work (BTW photographer) knows that it takes more than a few minutes/hour to get use to the timing. Heck, even the people working with them don't always know how/when they'll jump due to the piston system.

I want to make it a point too that all the British models had more elegant looks alongside odd cars, whereas most of the American models were more of the tough girls in dresses with the cars. The inspirations were different and they should've taken those into consideration.

AzMarie's photo was the only one honestly that probably got the right balance of the two - and she didn't look bad wearing the dress, though the tattoos were a bit distracting.

I will not begin to comment on the Kyle debacle - though I do agree with all the models that if she really wants to quit she should do it. That said if she quits I think Tyra will try to avoid casting Texans on her show, as that would be the second Texas model to quit if she did (behind Cassandra).

Next week's photoshoot honestly grosses me out -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    seriously making them wear MAPLE SYRUP!?

This week's photoshoot was probably the closest to the elegant photoshoots of yesteryear...

but most of them are reminiscent of CariDee's season onward in cheeziness.

CCL

Re the spoiler...well, they do have to go for the Canadian stereotypes. All the igloos were probably booked.

Laura is so the second coming of Angelea.

Love Analiese but agree with Kelly that she is probably best suited to be tv presenter.

I don't know what Eboni's problem with Kyle is but it seemed to have started before Kyle started talking about quitting. And a lot of people are doing better than Eboni so i wouldn't think it was just jealousy. Eboni comes off as rather a bully but Kyle needs to suck it up. She said she left school because modeling was so important to her...prove it.

I like Catharine's look but I don't think her photos have been as strong as they could be. Have to look up her UK photos. Like Ashley but more for her personality. Sophie for the win. Basically I'm rooting for the Brits though I do think Azmarie and Laura are contenders.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I like Sophie for the win. I liked AZ's photo.I just wished they had used something to cover up the tattoos.

The right person was sent home.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I like Sophie for the win. I liked AZ's photo.I just wished they had used something to cover up the tattoos.

The right person was sent home.
    What I loved about AzMarie's photo is that she's most definitely androgynous; however, she looks feminine in this photo. It would've been better as you said had they covered the tattoos or had her wear opera length gloves (similar to the horse races in "My Fair Lady" so they can't really balk at that .)

Sophie I think is someone who can take the criticism and low ranking and turn it around to be a spectacular photo next round. If they try to oust her - as she is probably one of the strongest of the British models - early, we might as well say that this was a joke and Tyra was always going to have an American model win.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I had a cable problem Wednesday, so I couldn't time-shift the show, and I had to catch up with it on the CW website.

I was glad to see Nigel's photoshoot-- first good one of the cycle, and one of his best in a while.

I thought AzMarie rocked it, but I disagree about the tattoos. Let me go on record and say I am normally not a fan of tattoos on models or extensive tattoos in general (though I have seen some beautiful examples, like one girl I saw in a bustier "wearing" what appeared to be a beautiful short-sleeved bolero of whisper-fine lace but was actually some of the finest, most tasteful ink I've seen).

However, AzMarie's tattoos are very much a part of her and her "branding", as Tyra pointed out in the "Kardashian babies" shoot. But they're also her worst liability in that it can potentially limit her to certain types of modeling. Sure, they could have covered them with opera gloves or other costuming, or possibly even with makeup-- but that would be denying who she "is". They could also have put a long flowing wig on her to hide the buzzcut and make her a "girl"-- but again, that's just dodging the issue of versatility by hiding her "look".

AzMarie needed this shoot to prove she can be tattooed, buzzcut and "manly"-- AND look elegant in a couture gown and Ascot hat. And she rocked it, IMO. And the setting with the guys in their bad@ss cars tied it all together with her look in a way the others didn't quite pull off.

Even the best of the others tended to look out-of-place with the setting-- like the guys just drove up behind them during a shoot and wouldn't leave, so they had to keep modeling against them. AzMarie looked like she drove in on one of the cars. Heck, she could've even been "Queen Bee" of the gang!

I also really thought Laura did great, almost neck-and-neck with AzMarie, and generally agreed with the order of ranking with the exception of Sophie, who should've not been third from bottom-- maybe fourth called. As has been previously said, Sophie couldn't help the cut of the dress they gave her, and I can't figure how she could've made it NOT look like "maternity wear".

However, I think we missed an important part of the judging. Nigel called her out during the shoot for being too giddy and causing the shoot to take longer than it should; he probably also addressed this at panel, and this was probably what knocked her down more than Kelly's negative review or Tyra's milder criticism of making better "negative space" with her arm.

But this really should have been stressed more as the reason, rather than implying Sophie got ranked low for not being able to overcome a dress shape. And frankly, I didn't see "maternity wear" getting suggested by the way Sophie looked in that shot.

As for the rest of the episode, the focus group was a hoot-- as were the girls' faces when they heard the comments-- and yes, they're really like that. Glad to see AnnaLiese win one for the UK team; she's really likable, even though her "commercial" was ridiculous (as were all of them).

I also love Alisha-- not one of my favorite models, but great personality and her comments are always so funny I wish she'd be asked to join the show as a judge or consultant or something. I'd love to at least see "Alisha's Rundown" a couple of times each episode in future cycles. (Didn't "American Idol" do this with one rejected contestant?)

Kyle, Kyle, Kyle-- *sigh*. I hate seeing one girl who really wants it (Candace) get eliminated while a girl who keeps whining she wants to go home stays in. Candace was gorgeous, but she seemed so lost in front of a camera that the elimination wasn't undeserved. I was sorta hoping she'd start pulling it together, but I guess it was becoming clear that she wasn't going to figure out how to use what she had without some personal coaching, which I hope she gets somewhere (I loved her face).

So Kyle better suck it up and stop whining about how she wants to go home-- but since this wasn't addressed when Tyra handed her her photo, I have a feeling we have a few more weeks' ride on the waaaah-bus before it's over. Plus, there's that animosity with Eboni that'll only intensify since Kyle didn't quit like Louise and "save" Candace-- not like Tyra would've necessarily said, "Okay, no eliminations" two weeks in a row.
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 03-24-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: correct typos
    Hyper likes this.

Seymone's flippant personality is so annoying...i hope she gets sent packing.

While I do agree with the top three, I think Sophie's reaction to the callout order is very telling. I think she is smarting up to the fact that - at least right now - odds are that there will be no UK models winning this, even though honestly all of them still have far more talent overall (as well as overall better manners and kindness).

Was sad to see Ashley go, she was sweet and her photo really wasn't bad (just the others - save Seymone - were better). I was surprised Tyra said she should do hosting, given that on occasion she is hard to understand. That said, if she worked on slowing down just a bit... yeah she'd have a good job as a host. She's been hilarious in her honest direct comments, and that is a good sign because if you can make people laugh with a straight-faced comment, you are a natural commedian.

All that said, while I understand why she and Catherine were in the bottom two for zero bookings... SEYMONE also booked zero and at least one had just one. Yet Seymone was called higher than three of the UK models, at least two of them had bookings.

Never mind that BOTH Americans in one runway were FIRED from their booking, and both got high callouts.

So which one is more important, because honestly, I would say that Seymone nor Kyle honestly had good photos and both had no bookings, yet both placed higher than the two UK models before the bottom two.

OK, back to my original comment - I agree with Sophie. It's becoming a bit obvious at this time that it's going to be a US contestant, which is unfortunate because save AzMarie and Laura, none are strong enough to have long term success IMHO while all the UK ones do.
    Hyper likes this.

+ Reply to Thread