+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

I'm also REALLY sick of the Kardashians, and would prefer never to see or hear from them again. That's the unfortunate downside of reality TV-- celebs who are only really famous for reality TV going on to develop "branding," which means merchandising and more appearances on other TV shows. Enough already.

I'm kind of mixed on the makeovers and agree with the UK models who spoke-- Tyra gave the US girls other than AzMarie really "commercial" looks in contrast to their edgy high-fashion looks. And as they predicted, they didn't need three girls with the same look, and they eliminated-- uh, the other one.

I knew Mariah was really in for it when they showed the other models not being able to remember her name. A shame, because I thought Seymone's photo was far worse than hers--bad leg position for a plus-size girl (her knees looked HUGE)-- but I guess her personality will keep her in for a few more weeks (previews showed things getting loud around her).

I hated to see Mariah go, though-- I was hoping that maybe we'd get the first Native American ANTM winner, which would be ironic considering that both the Brits AND the Yanks were the "invaders" from that perspective. On the other hand, since they started off pegging her as "Pocahontas," maybe she's better off getting out early with her dignity (if not her hair) basically intact.

And I'm really getting tired of photoshoots where the models are shot in pairs or groups. They usually make the actual shoot less interesting, the photos usually don't seem nearly as good, and it seems almost every model gets compromised to some extent by the choice of photo for judging. And I particularly don't like them when it's the first two shoots we get, before we even have a chance to see how each girl performs when all the focus is on her.

Yeah, I know they're a standard feature in the real modeling world, but I just always feel like the real reason is to cut costs and to give Tyra more freedom to boost or eliminate a given model. Maybe if we saw a separate "best photo" for each model and they judged each one of the pair on both photos they took, I'd like them better.

Oh, and about the "gross UK/US food" challenge-- Tyra used to do this from time to time, like the Japanese pickled plum in C3 the girls had to eat and smile while doing so. I guess the idea is to get the girls used to the idea that real top models travel the globe and either have to sample the local delicacy and not offend the client, or they have to put up with only having some horrible local cuisine available.

Of course, the real reason is to get to watch pretty girls make not-so-pretty faces while they chow down on a pig intestine or a sheep eyeball.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Still watching . . . the most entertaining aspects for me are the accents and the random vocabulary lesson (even when Nigel objects). I rather liked fandabbydozie!
    Last edited by Little Sew&Sew; 03-09-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I've seen the spoiler clip for the next judges panel. Boy oh boy someone loses it! I can't say I feel any different about Kelly Cutrone.

Forgot to mention this before-- I really hate the position they've got AzMarie in, which always plagues the androgynous/buzzcut girls. They give her a shoot where she's a "baby" (yeah, a "baby Kardashian", but still...). Jay tells her during the shoot she's getting too scary with the fierce, and pulls her back. At judging, Tyra says she wasn't owning her image and it was (metaphorically, of course) like her tattoos were fakes done with ballpoint rather than really needled in.

So she should've just ignored Jay, gone with her instincts, and been fiercer than Grace Jones on crack-- unless Nigel was the photographer, then she would've been "a diva" for sticking with her gut.

I guess she'll get fairytale princesses, baby dolls and mermaids thrown at her to portray like Nenna in C6 before it's all over with.

Okay, sorry to always be so negative in my posts-- especially since I keep on watching the show and there are so few of us still posting here on FORT-- but I was thinking about past cycles and something occurred to me.

Is there somehow "less of" ANTM than there was before? And where did it go?

In past cycles, we always started with an episode of just interviews and a couple of elimination rounds thinning the pack down to the final set of contestants. That's over with, and now they just bring out the new set right at the start and send one girl home the first week.

It also seemed like every week there would be some amount of time spent showing the whole group of models how to do something useful, whether it was Miss J coaching them on runway walks or Tyra showing them how to "smize" or Janice showing the difference between couture and commercial poses. Also, the first couple of cycles actually had a guy taking the models into the gym and training them, but that didn't last.

And it seemed that every week's panel session had more going on than simply reviewing the photos, ranking them, and eliminating one model. They'd usually have to do some sort of last-minute challenge, like one week in C7 where they held up cards with a verb and an adverb, and CariDee had to "hide dizzily" while MelRose had to "box joyously".

There also seemed to be more "confessional booth" moments-- where the girls would go in a closed room and really let it out-- in addition to the general comments the girls made. This might be better that it's gone, but it did give you a good insight on just how frustrated some of the girls were getting.

Finally, even though the end results were often painful, the "My Life As A CoverGirl" spots that ran each week gave sort of a continuity past the end of each cycle, and made it seem like the winner was actually doing something. As stiff as those things usually were, I miss them.

And at the same time, with all those things gone, I can't figure out what's filling the gaps. The show doesn't seem any shorter and there doesn't seem to be more focus put on anything else.

Does anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

And could part of the reason the show seems to be "missing things" is that this forum isn't as active as it used to be-- back when we had hilarious recaps, pictures, interviews, etc., in addition to the discussions (not to mention having discussion while the show was airing)? I miss the old FORT days, but I guess everybody moved on.
    dzigner, ness and Hyper like this.

Okay, how bad is it that I didn't even know the show had started again? I'll move this forum up to the top Have to go find the episodes online now!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks, Critical. Maybe the discussions will get more active now that the forum is in the top section!

I liked last night's ep better-- although some aspects of it still disappointed me.

They sort of had Tyra doing a "teach" (as she calls it, but I really hate that word used instead of "lesson" or "class" or even "mini-seminar"). Unfortunately, less was shown of her putting the girls through runway walks and more was focused on hyping that darn book. And again, we get one of those silly "renaming" moments ("You're not a 'Supermodel'-- you're an 'Intoxibella'! And your name is 'Re-allie-tisho-skank'!"), but at least this one doesn't seem like it's going to last past this one ep's judging.

Anyone still here remember C8, where Tyra had the girls come up with new professional names for themselves, and they had to stick with them the rest of the cycle? Dionne chose "Wholahey" for herself, but Tyra stepped in after a while and changed it-- to "Brown". (Couldn't she have at least gone with "Sienna" or "Mahogany" or "Mocha" or "Sable"?)

Also, the girls finally got individual photos instead of group shots, even if the setup still put them in teams and yielded less impressive photos than just a straight shoot likely would have. Yeah, I know-- they almost never have "just a straight shoot"-- there's usually got to be some drama factor involved, even if it's just "out-model the other model(s) in the shot".

And in this one, you not only had the teamwork factor, you had Kelly running around telling everyone why their choices were wrong, wrong, wrong. And it's funny how she was always right in what she was telling them, but she intimidated them so much that they just saw her as a source of stress rather than a helper. And "rude". The UK team seems to find just about everything they experience from Americans to be "rude"-- even the way they respond when you wake them up by staging a commando raid on their room and attacking them with paper wads.

As for the photos, I really loved AzMarie's, and thought Laura and Sophie were also really good, and thought Louise looked gorgeous-- but oh, the drama that followed when Nigel said her expression looked "mean".

It wasn't like you couldn't see this coming from the very beginning. Louise seemed to have a chip on her shoulder about everything she was being confronted with, and behaved as if she thought ANTM was beneath her. She resisted the makeover because she thought it was going to undo how she'd changed her look after BNTM. Overall, her behavior makes me wonder why she even did the show. I guess she thought everyone would fall all over her, it'd be a cakewalk and she'd get modeling contracts in NY/LA.

Since she'd been in a cycle of BNTM (and didn't win), the ANTM producers had at least some indication of what Louise was like and how she responded when things didn't go her way. Was she this combative in her BNTM cycle? And was that why she was chosen, for the "ticking time bomb" factor?

Even though I thought it was unlikely she'd win with her attitude (and no gratitude), she was so attractive and modeled so well that I hoped she'd stay in longer, and I think they actually intended to keep her in at least until the trip. I was fully expecting a repeat of Brittani's meltdown in C16, with Louise coaxed into coming back inside, and having a big weepy moment where Tyra reminds her that Kelly's really on her side and was just giving her "tough love," followed by "saying sorry all around" and Louise being reassured by her photo being chosen by the client-- until the next confrontation, when she blows up yet again.

And, of course, the walkout means that one of the weaker girls gets one more week to show that she's a pretty girl that photographs well, but not a model. Or an "Intoxibella", if you must, Tyra. ("And your name is-- 'Deerinheadlights'!")
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 03-15-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Louise seriously did have a bad attitude...bad attitude during makeovers, bad attitude on set....bad attitude on panel... im glad she left! just wished someone got eliminated too...

Louise was probably the one person based on looks alone that I visualized who could have won the whole thing...unfortunately she has a lot of growing up to do.
    DevilTwin
    Trekker and Geocacher

Haven't seen the 3rd ep. Loved louise's look. Don't remember her being THIS bad on BNTM. But she can't have that type of attitude on eps 1 and 2 and continue it. She walked out? Wish she would have learned to keep her mouth shut and ego in check. If she was all that, she wouldn't have done the show. Maybe seeing herself here and the reaction will cause some change? Because I really do like her pictures and look.

+ Reply to Thread