+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

I'm not a fan of either of the final two.

I'm really interested in how the voting will work for next season.

I'm glad that Sophie won.

I noticed that she's modelling for Emma Watson's clothing line. Cool.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze View Post
    I'm glad that Sophie won.

I noticed that she's modelling for Emma Watson's clothing line. Cool.
    Sophie and Emma are friends believe it or not. That said it is really cool regardless.

I'm glad the judges chose Sophie (which is what I was hoping for based on the layouts, more in my previous post) - I think Laura will do well but overall Sophie had the best overall final few challenges in the final two.

Yes, I do think Laura will end up at least eventually being cast for a Vogue photoshoot, not just right now due to Sophie being the winner and the contract and the like.

While I do agree Laura had slightly better candids in the Cover Girl commercial, what hurt Laura overall I think were two things: 1. Her being fired from a runway show (to my knowlege, Kyle and Laura were the first two to ever have that happen to them in the series, and 2. The events of tonight.

Oh, and I do agree with Jay - This is IMHO the best Cover Girl Commercial they've ever done in the series. It actually looks like it could be a real commercial.

That final fashion show was L-A-M-E. At least there was no pretense about making it look like an actual fashion show. Just when you think Tyra's ego couldn't get any bigger, she opens the fashion show with video of herself

I'm so happy Sophie won! She's was one of my favorites from early on. I think she's got the temperament for modeling. Laura will have a career if she's able to work on her presentation a bit. I thought her walk at the fashion show had a bit too much tough girl swagger.

Alisha's a big talker for someone who quit. Yeah, maybe those other girls would be quaking in their boots over her being in the competition, but probably not. I thought that was really snotty of her.

I'm sad over the last episode for Nigel and Mr. Jay. I missed part of the episode. Did we see Miss J?
    mindy384 and mushybrain like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    That final fashion show was L-A-M-E. At least there was no pretense about making it look like an actual fashion show. Just when you think Tyra's ego couldn't get any bigger, she opens the fashion show with video of herself

I'm so happy Sophie won! She's was one of my favorites from early on. I think she's got the temperament for modeling. Laura will have a career if she's able to work on her presentation a bit. I thought her walk at the fashion show had a bit too much tough girl swagger.

I'm sad over the last episode for Nigel and Mr. Jay. I missed part of the episode. Did we see Miss J?
    Agree with all of this.

Also, it wasn't just a video, but a V-I-D-E-O that made Tyra's head as big as her ego!
    Critical likes this.

Wow...I think for where we ended up, the better choice was made. A little surprised, though, given the debating of the judges before the announcement. Agree with the above assessment of the runway show. Very odd. Oh, well, bring on season 19 and the voting!

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    Wow...I think for where we ended up, the better choice was made. A little surprised, though, given the debating of the judges before the announcement. Agree with the above assessment of the runway show. Very odd. Oh, well, bring on season 19 and the voting!

I am so glad Sohie won I knew it!! As you say, bring on the voting and season 19!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I may be in the minority, but save Tyra's opening schtick, I actually liked the runway. It was fun, creative and a bit of a challenge for the models as well.

I agree too - I also thought the wink was a tad too cheesy, just like I thought CariDee's was in that one photoshoot in Cycle 8.

Alisha's a big talker for someone who quit. Yeah, maybe those other girls would be quaking in their boots over her being in the competition, but probably not. I thought that was really snotty of her.
    Which was also why I LOVED the fact she ended up walking out of the wavy spotlight and was hidden for most of it - then Jay yells at her for it.

No, we didn't see her, but Jay once again proved in critique that he should've stayed. Nigel... eh, was OK, but Jay had honesty, kindness and compassion... and stayed cool under stress when Laura had the panic attack.

Actually, we did see Ms. J for a second-- at the start of the runway show, standing up in the judges' section of the audience, turning toward the camera and giving one of those great "OMG!" gapes. She had on a "Chinese" ensemble with a long straight black wig and a wide coolee hat. If you blinked you missed her, though.

And another "blink and you missed it" moment was a bit of editing weirdness in the final moments before the winner's reveal. When the show resumes after commercials, Laura and Sophie are standing in front of curtains with rear-projected flags and Tyra tells them to step forward. Laura's hair is still pinned into a chignon during these final moments, through to the end of her appearance.

However, there's a brief shot showing the two girls right at the beginning of the segment, between the exterior establishing shot of the location as the show resumes after commercials and the first shot of Tyra standing facing the girls. In that one quick shot, Laura's hair is unpinned and loose, hanging down to her shoulders. When they cut back to the girls after a second or two of Tyra, it's back in place!

So where did that come from? Did they make them go back and reshoot that shot after the winner had been declared and just not notice that Laura had let her hair down?

And why would they even need to pad with that brief shot, anyway? It could have been a shot of anything filling in that second before they show Tyra, because they cut to the girls again right afterwards and don't really need to show them before she speaks. If it needed to be a shot of the girls there, they could have simply repeated a second of the shot that follows, since they're standing still in exactly the same positions before they step forward.

Since it doesn't really make sense that they needed to grab just one more tiny bit of extra footage after it was over, is it possible they shot the entire final judging twice-- once with Laura's hair down to match her CG shots, and once pinned up? (The shot was so brief it was hard to tell if her hair was styled like that or simply unpinned and shaken loose for comfort.)

Even stranger, is it possible that they did two versions of the final judging with different winners, so that no one would know until air time who actually won?

If this is the case and they prepared two complete edited versions, the presence of the shot makes more sense. The "Laura" version-- with hair like her CG shot-- was edited together first. Then when the "Sophie" version-- with Laura's hair pinned up-- was prepared, they used the "Laura" edit and replaced all shots of the girls. Someone in editing just missed one and left in the wrong clip between the exterior shot and Tyra's first shot.

Yeah, I know... weird conspiracy theory. But after the Angelea mess, nothing surprises me about this show.

Okay-- I was surprised (and happy) that Sophie won. Yay, Pink Pixie!!!
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 05-31-2012 at 12:14 PM.

YAY for Sophie! I'm thrilled that she won and wish her the best.

Laura is a beautiful woman and will most likely become successful but, imo, Sophie was outstanding and deserved this title.

What I don't understand is why the judges criticized Sophie's candid shots during her Cover Girl Commercial and loved Laura's. I mean, ANY shots of Sophie, and Laura, could have been placed in those two commercials...both "good" ones and "bad" ones. Talk about subjective!
    Last edited by tinderbox; 05-31-2012 at 01:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread