+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    Huh. Well, not what I was hoping for. I just don't get the constant stream throughout of how commercial Annaliese was, not a model, etc. Yet, she had the best runway walk, and could fit the bill for the music video, the correspondent gig...Not really caring who wins, other than that I would love for it to be the Brit, just because. ;-)
    I agree - and have two words here: Producer manipulation to keep the whole "US vs. UK" schtick going.

For once, Tyra I think even showed some disappointment because honestly Laura isn't the total package when she cannot do runway, seems to do nothing more than talk about how great sex is, and really hasn't had as many good photos - most are the same too in that she lounges about or is upside down. The one on the tower last week was bad - her legs were not flattering and helped create a very square butt.

Anneliese was not horrid and was among the funniest and wittiest of the contestants there. And she was because she was honest and gave a witty commentary. She would've been great as correspondent.

Yep, if Sophie doesn't win this season IMHO - since she also has the charm and humor needed to do the correspondent work and her photo really WOULD sell that perfume (and honestly her photos have truly been overall good), then there will be a lot of questions to be asked IMHO.
    wannasee likes this.

I love Annalise, her photo for me was the best, even over Sophie .She looked young, and as if she was having fun. I knew it would be Sophie and Laura F2 from the start. Laura takes nice photos , but I think her personality is dull, and dull sometimes shows in her pictures. Annalise was on the other end of the spectrum , bubbly and talkative and out there. Sophie is just right bless her.

Sophie for the win!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I was really sorry to see AnnaLiese go, but I guess it was kind of obvious that either she or Sophie would be eliminated, so there could be a "US vs. UK" F2.

Watching the progression of photos during her exit edit, it seemed that most of them were stronger that they gave her credit for, with only the last three or four being weaker. On the other hand, they were all cropped to head shots, so it's harder to tell-- but at least her face was great in all but the last few. I guess the comment by the photographer that AnnaLiese needed 200 frames on her last shoot showed she was feeling the strain of constant "but is she really a model?" criticism.

Still, her walk was strong, people liked her, and AnnaLiese even won Kelly over at the end. I really loved that moment where she approached Kelly and told her how much finally getting her praise meant to her. A classy exit for a classy lady.

As usual, I thought Sophie did a great job, particularly at the go-sees. I wish I had photographs of her in that first dress she walked in-- it sort of blended with her coloring like it was made for her-- and also in that "Marie Antoinette" gown. No wonder she booked all four designers! And it was great that the "Rude to be Nude" designer chose Sophie for an extended campaign. However, that could be a signal she's not going to win, since the runners-up frequently get some challenge prize that boosts their careers, like a print ad.

So I think we're looking at Laura as the winner here, which is not the worst choice they could've made. She has shown she can do print modeling well, and there have been past winners who were criticized for being weak on runway. If this were a past cycle of ANTM, there wouldn't be much cause to question her ranking (IMHO) based on this performance. But now it's all about "branding" and personality and being able to go multimedia-- interviewer/actress/recording artist/whatever.

And the edit they've given Laura really hasn't supported her abilities in those areas. I'm sorry, but letting her hair down in the Nicholas Tse video did not make that a great moment. It just seemed clumsy and contrived (yeah, stop and create something that'll get in your eyes as you take on an opponent!) and the results didn't match what she had in her head. Even worse, it seemed like the reason she won the challenge was that she flirted with Tse. This is in large part bolstered by the edit she's getting where she's reacting sexually to everything, which is kind of a surprise if she's the winner.

However, we're also getting a lot of "I had a hard life growing up" backstory to balance it, which may mean Laura gets one of those "Come to Tyra" moments at the end where it goes all Dr. Phil and she's absolved from seeming oversexualized. And I guess other winners have had moments where it seemed like their behavior would preclude a win, like Brittani's meltdown in C16. But it seems like they would have done more to shake this "slut" narrative before the final episode.

Oh, well, my track record on predicting anything this cycle has been pretty wretched-- so I guess anything can happen. And did I hallucinate this, or did Tyra say they were walking for Forever 21 in the final runway? Is Hot Topic next?

Sophie should win. She deserves to win. For me, she's clearly.....the best.
    Florimel likes this.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    Watching the progression of photos during her exit edit, it seemed that most of them were stronger that they gave her credit for, with only the last three or four being weaker. On the other hand, they were all cropped to head shots, so it's harder to tell-- but at least her face was great in all but the last few. I guess the comment by the photographer that AnnaLiese needed 200 frames on her last shoot showed she was feeling the strain of constant "but is she really a model?" criticism.
    I thought that about Analiese's photos, too. I love Analiese, and I was very glad that Kelly said nice things about her, but I can see what they mean when they go on about her being a presenter more than a model. I think she would be an excellent host, and I think she's done some of that, or is working towards it, in the UK. She's great in action and has personality to spare.

Laura is beautiful (maybe more so than Sophie), takes good photos (as does Sophie), is tall (though I think Sophie is taller; Analiese mentioned frequently that she herself was not model height, which surely counted against her), with a good figure (as has Sophie) but has a bad runway walk (whereas Sophie's is good). They seem generally pretty well matched, though Sophie has the edge. I do think Sophie will take this, and I want her to win. It's just as good a story (a Briton winning ANTM! Imagine!) than the other way round (an American emerges victorious as ANTM, rightfully so!).

It is Forever 21. Or should I put the stupid XXI in? I don't really know much about their clothes but certainly not "high fashion" as they say. Speaking of, there's been absolutely no Italian Vogue presence this year. Wonder if they will be back next year.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I thought that about Analiese's photos, too. I love Analiese, and I was very glad that Kelly said nice things about her, but I can see what they mean when they go on about her being a presenter more than a model. I think she would be an excellent host, and I think she's done some of that, or is working towards it, in the UK. She's great in action and has personality to spare.

Laura is beautiful (maybe more so than Sophie), takes good photos (as does Sophie), is tall (though I think Sophie is taller; Analiese mentioned frequently that she herself was not model height, which surely counted against her), with a good figure (as has Sophie) but has a bad runway walk (whereas Sophie's is good). They seem generally pretty well matched, though Sophie has the edge. I do think Sophie will take this, and I want her to win. It's just as good a story (a Briton winning ANTM! Imagine!) than the other way round (an American emerges victorious as ANTM, rightfully so!).

It is Forever 21. Or should I put the stupid XXI in? I don't really know much about their clothes but certainly not "high fashion" as they say. Speaking of, there's been absolutely no Italian Vogue presence this year. Wonder if they will be back next year.
    I don't understand why being with Forever 21 would be that high of an honor. The clothes are basically all for skinny teens. The quality of the fabrics is inferior. The fabric makes me think of threadbare fabrics. And the clothing have shoddy workmanship.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

IMHO, I think they're doing a Forever XXI collection simply because when you factor in all the costs for the trip to Canada for a photoshoot (and ensuing major hotel suite stay), the travel costs for the British girls to come to America, and then the trip to Hong Kong/Macau... they probably couldn't afford an expensive runway show.

(Which also factoring in the above, makes me hope that Sophie is the winner to make it "worth" it to them, but stranger things have happened).

Couldn't afford a better designer? Wait a minute-- ANTM has to pay designers to let the show publicize them by showing their creations? I'd think there'd be a direct trade-off there.

If reducing cost is so much of a concern they have to do a show for a mall store, I think I'd rather they got Laura's meemaw to let them showcase her designs.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    Couldn't afford a better designer? Wait a minute-- ANTM has to pay designers to let the show publicize them by showing their creations? I'd think there'd be a direct trade-off there.

If reducing cost is so much of a concern they have to do a show for a mall store, I think I'd rather they got Laura's meemaw to let them showcase her designs.
    OK... then Surrnder... that would mean ANTM is seen in such a negative light that they can't get any real credible designers to work with them anymore so they go for the more kitschy and cheaper looking clothing. (Though honestly I don't know which viewpoint there would be worse).

Heck, even Agaci would've been better - there is a cool factor but an elegant and better made look clothing in that store.

I can't see how they will give it to Sophie. How would they get the "rah rah rah. U.S.A" moment?
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread