+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed the acting thing, very campy but something different. I think what gets me most on here is the very negative comments by judges about being too "commercial." And yet, many of the challenges are commercial (videos, acting, etc.), and some of the prizes are on the commercial line - doing a music video, correspondent for a tv show and yes, contract with Covergirl...whose models are mostly celebrities with great commercial success. As for the couple of "modeling" prizes, IMO you could make a darned goat edgy and high fashion for one photo in a mag. As for the Modeling agencies, I believe I heard Tyra say something like "eligible for" or similar, implying the agencies might not want the winner?

Eh, I loved Alicia's bitchy comments and attitude, sorry to see her go the way she did, esp. when she seemed to think it would let Eboni stay longer. Annalise is my favorite overall, and it sucks everytime Kelly either criticizes everything about her or barely gives credit when it's due. Of the seeming front-runners, I would have to go with Sophie, just because she hasn't seemed so arrogant and witchy as Laura.

Even though you only gave generalities, by simply listing who you thought did best and worst, you still told me that all five were going to get out there and shoot at least one photo, regardless of how much "Will Sophie chicken out? Will Alisha?" buildup they might try to create.
    I understand where you're coming from - but I think it's pretty safe to say that anytime that Tyra TRIES to hint that we have a no show by showing the doubter.

We know she's lying through her teeth and then some.

In all seasons I've been able to see - there has been only ONE case where she's come close to keeping it truly spoiled and keep us guessing.

CCL

Regarding the agency prizes...I always fast forward through Tyra announcing the prizes. That's interesting. Sophie is already signed with a good British agency who could hook her up with American agencies if/ when needed. I'm not sure of the other two but it would suck if they won and didn't get representation that they needed.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I know people have worried about Tyra choosing Laura simply because she's an American. Given that it's not uncommon to have international actors competing in reality TV shows (Such as Katherine in "DWTS" this season), and can win, there is nothing that says that either Sophie or Anneliese can't win.

IMHO only of course, I think if Tyra wants to have ANY chance after next season, she may want to consider it. You need to show that you produce winners who work long term in modeling. Lately she hasn't produced too many long term models who were winners in their season.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I know people have worried about Tyra choosing Laura simply because she's an American. Given that it's not uncommon to have international actors competing in reality TV shows (Such as Katherine in "DWTS" this season), and can win, there is nothing that says that either Sophie or Anneliese can't win.
    I don't watch the show, but it's "Dancing with the Stars"-- not "Dancing with the American Stars". (And I'd even question "Stars" in that title.)

Since it's "America's Next Top Model"-- as opposed to "Britain's Next Top Model," "Australia's Next Top Model," "Germany's Next Top Model," or even "Outer Slobbovia's Next Top Model," it sort of implies that the winner will be-- well, American.

But, yeah, I'd be happy to embrace either Sophie or AnnaLiese as the winner, even though it's the final nail in the coffin for any credibility this show had in living up to its title.

I mean, first "Next Top" went when it became obvious that the winners weren't getting any sort of meaningful careers in modeling, let alone becoming "top" models. Now the "Model" part's basically dead thanks to the primary focus on being a multimedia personality. So I guess they might as well get rid of "America's".

Since Nigel and the two Jays are getting axed in order to keep the show "fresh," they should probably just go ahead and rename it next season.

I'd suggest "Tyra's Hour o' Total Wackness," "Pretty Girls, Ugly Stunts," or Bill Maher's old name for the series, "A Bunch of Eights Getting Completely Owned by a Ten."

Kelly seems to like Laura more than Tyra does. ( jmho)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Alisha was getting on my nerves big time. She complained WAY too much and thinks shes hot ****, so I'm glad to see her gone (may be not like this though). I think her take during the challenge was horrible IMO. It was so overacted. What the hell was up with that fake "OMG, what is going on!? I'm so scared!" look on her face when the guy was fighting? It made no sense since 2 seconds later she was out there doing the same thing, and it was a little weird when she stepped in, since she was like really soft about it like "I've got this one Nicholas, you go tend to the plate of biscuits and tea over there, dearie." and the end, was just so obviously commercial, like "Introducing new ________, now with [special ingredient]". What a mess! None if it fit with each other.

I like Cutrone. Perhaps she is outspoken and has rigid opinions, but she has given props to Analise before. She just isn't her taste. What else is there to say?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    I don't watch the show, but it's "Dancing with the Stars"-- not "Dancing with the American Stars". (And I'd even question "Stars" in that title.)

Since it's "America's Next Top Model"-- as opposed to "Britain's Next Top Model," "Australia's Next Top Model," "Germany's Next Top Model," or even "Outer Slobbovia's Next Top Model," it sort of implies that the winner will be-- well, American.
    True, but this season is "America's Next Top Model - British Invasion" and given the British did win a couple of battles in the American revolution, there is the argument it can be a Brit.

But, yeah, I'd be happy to embrace either Sophie or AnnaLiese as the winner, even though it's the final nail in the coffin for any credibility this show had in living up to its title.

I mean, first "Next Top" went when it became obvious that the winners weren't getting any sort of meaningful careers in modeling, let alone becoming "top" models. Now the "Model" part's basically dead thanks to the primary focus on being a multimedia personality. So I guess they might as well get rid of "America's".

Since Nigel and the two Jays are getting axed in order to keep the show "fresh," they should probably just go ahead and rename it next season.

I'd suggest "Tyra's Hour o' Total Wackness," "Pretty Girls, Ugly Stunts," or Bill Maher's old name for the series, "A Bunch of Eights Getting Completely Owned by a Ten."
    Another thing to consider though - "Britian's Next Top Model" has contestants from Scotland (such as Ashley) and Wales. These are part of the United Kingdom, at least with Scotland.

I will admit I've never seen "BNTM" so I don't know if a winner was not from England, but still...

Personally, I feel if Tyra MOVES AWAY from the cliche'd title if she chose the best model in the competition. And honestly both Brits will have a longer modeling career and will bring more credibility for her show.

Pretty much the show's had it and the only reason they're doing a cycle next season is because they've already got a casting call out for it. I think otherwise it'd been canceled already IMHO.

True, but this season is "America's Next Top Model - British Invasion" and given the British did win a couple of battles in the American revolution, there is the argument it can be a Brit.

Another thing to consider though - "Britian's Next Top Model" has contestants from Scotland (such as Ashley) and Wales. These are part of the United Kingdom, at least with Scotland.

I will admit I've never seen "BNTM" so I don't know if a winner was not from England, but still...

Personally, I feel if Tyra MOVES AWAY from the cliche'd title if she chose the best model in the competition. And honestly both Brits will have a longer modeling career and will bring more credibility for her show.

Pretty much the show's had it and the only reason they're doing a cycle next season is because they've already got a casting call out for it. I think otherwise it'd been canceled already IMHO.
    Britain also includes Scotland, Ireland and Wales, not just England - it's all under "Britain."

I find that the Brits seem to be much more educated about the business and have much clearer ideas of what winning this show could do for them. Maybe that's a function of them having competed on a version of the show before, but it seems like they're much more realistic. Often, the US girls (on all seasons) seem to just try out for the show because they want to be models. Very few of them seem to have any knowledge of the fashion industry or what it really means to be a model.

I've been impressed, in particular, with Sophie's level-headedness. She knows that she's getting older as far as models go, so this is a good opportunity for her to get her foot in the door in the US.

At this point, whoever wins will be fine with me, although I'd prefer Sophie. Annaliese seems destined to be a TV personality or actress and Laura has too much attitude.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Often, the US girls (on all seasons) seem to just try out for the show because they want to be models. Very few of them seem to have any knowledge of the fashion industry or what it really means to be a model.
    Even worse, some of the girls seem to try out for the show because they just want to go on a reality TV show and "get famous," not realizing that it's less pleasant than it looks (total lack of privacy, camera crew present nearly round the clock, limited ability to avoid people you've just had nasty confrontations with, isolation from support system of family and friends).

----
    EDIT: On the other hand, since ANTM really isn't focused on "modeling" so much as "multimedia celebrity" these days, I guess girls who just want to "get famous" are on the right track, and the ones with realistic goals and expectations of modeling are barking up the wrong tree.

----

And some of them have even claimed in interviews (Victoria in C9, for example) that they just did the show because they thought the whole modeling thing was ridiculous and appearing on ANTM would be good for laughs.

Elyse claimed she came across the first set of casting sessions at a local mall, got up in front of the cameras and taped an audition as a joke, and was so surprised that they seriously approached her about doing the first cycle that she decided to play along and see where it went. And yet she wound up being the first successful model ANTM produced, even though she bailed in third place.

And oddly, a number of the most famous models claim that they originally had no aspirations to model.

If I'm remembering correctly, Christie Brinkley says she was studying art in Paris, found an injured dog and took it to an animal hospital, and was stunned at how much they told her it'd cost to save it, but told them she'd get the cash somehow. On her way home, a guy handed her his card and said he'd like to photograph her. She thought he was just a creep propositioning her until she got home, her roommate recognized him as a name fashion photographer, and she realized she had a way to pay for rescuing the dog.

One call later, she was on the path to a completely different career, and the art world's loss was the modeling world's gain. I've always wondered if she at least kept the dog.
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 05-14-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add comment

+ Reply to Thread