+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

I'm shocked with the eliminations, I didnt think THAT would happen! I think Sophie is the clear winner now.

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess View Post
    I'm shocked with the eliminations, I didnt think THAT would happen! I think Sophie is the clear winner now.
    Neither did I - and honestly, I have to give respect for Alisha, who felt she didn't want it anymore and wanted to give the opportunity to Eboni to have one more chance. Tyra IMHO was rather witchy there and said Eboni was still going (but then again it looks like it saved her doing a double elimination). Didn't always agree with either, but Eboni's case it was the right choice and Alisha I felt did the right thing.

As far as the photos, the top three were warranted. I think Sophie's is weird, but still, it's a cool and interesting shot. It's got the karate style moves and no, she didn't look scared. Anneliese's body was good looking at the picture a little bit better, but the furrowed brow was a little too much in the shot. I was glad she made top three. Laura's face was good, but they're kidding themselves if they think her body position was perfect. Still maintain that sitting on the thing was safe - but concede if she was going to do that she needed to elongate herself more.

Cutrone is simply put a WITCH with a capital, Bolded, Italicized and Red B in front of it - and was it on ALL the models. I know she's in the industry and all, but really - she plays blatant favorites that she makes Tyra's decision to let Saleshia win that one season seem reasoned. Thankfully the dear actor (and I saw him as a dear - he found everything positive on each of the models and was kind no matter how good or bad they did in the audition), was fair and balanced on his assessments and Tyra seemed to look at the balance there.

(My opinion too - the reactions of Nigel at panel tonight are what make me led to his dismissal - you could see he was pissed at Cutrone).

Final three photoshoot I think is very creative. Do think all three are deserving of the title, but... IMHO
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I think it will be either Anneliese or Sophie because based on the rumors and teasers I've read on the winner, she takes all her criticism over the weeks and turns it around and makes a successful comback. They are the ONLY two who fit into this mold. Laura has not had to take weeks of criticism.

Let's hope they do NOT mention Sophie being runner up on "BNTM" because so far the ones whom have been mentioned as finishing there - Catherine and Alisha - are now eliminated/quit

Well, crap. I thought it was a repeat this week. I'm glad I looked in here. The NBA playoffs aired in the ANTM slot, so the new episode isn't airing until 11 pm here. Glad I checked again. I would have missed it!

I'm surprised that Annaliese made it to final 3. From the beginning, I expected it to be Laura and Sophie. I just thought it would be AzMarie with them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Well, crap. I thought it was a repeat this week. I'm glad I looked in here. The NBA playoffs aired in the ANTM slot, so the new episode isn't airing until 11 pm here. Glad I checked again. I would have missed it!

I'm surprised that Annaliese made it to final 3. From the beginning, I expected it to be Laura and Sophie. I just thought it would be AzMarie with them.
    I think she was surprised too based on her reaction. Alisha also had a similar reaction - but she had said that if she was in the bottom two it was time for her to go anyway. She wasn't feeling it and as I mentioned I understand that.

Personally, I think the final two will be Sophie and Laura, but Anneliese would be good too. I do think they all are deserving of the title.

(BTW - an interesting note - After Kelly Cutrone dismissed Anneliese as "too commercial" Nigel mentioned that Anneliese is reminiscent of Mercedes, who could pull high-fashion looks when needed - that final three with the wire wrapped around her still is one of my faves of her - has made a very long career in commercial. And made a VERY pointed note that Mercedes was runner-up in the second cycle. )

I do agree that Az would've probably been there had she not blown off Tyra's teach (which I agree with Az were bad, but she didn't take the spirit of the competition). I'd rather her than Laura in most cases, and would've loved to have seen her in a couple of these photoshoots.

I'm sure Laura will be in the final 2, barring a complete debacle, but I'd be happy with Sophie and Annaliese as the final 2. Laura's arrogance has become so unattractive.

I liked that it at least seems like Nigel is keeping tabs on former contestants. I always liked Mercedes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

CCL

Maybe Laura slept with Kelly, that would explain her blatant favouritism. Calm down Laura - I'm kidding. Though it was hypocritical of Kelly to slam Catherine for her hand position last week (and in detail) and then when her favorite has the same hand position this week she makes a passing reference to not liking it and then continues the gushing.
    Might sound like I don't like Laura. Actually, I do. I like her look and I think she would be a fair winner. Would still prefer Sophie winning.
    Photos would have been better if they kept the harnesses in.
    I thought for sure Alisha would be eliminated to even the ranks between the two nations. So that was surprising. Doesn't sound like Tyra was thrown off her schedule though. Maybe she was planning a double elimination next week and figured hey, week early, whatever.
    I'd rather have Nigel on the panel than Kelly. Do we know for sure she is coming back next season? :/
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I don't know if we know that Kelly is officially back next season, CCL, but I seem to remember an article that said she would be. It wasn't an announcement from the network though, so there's still hope.

Kelly was on Anderson Cooper's talk show today talking about modeling schools and she was really normal and not so bitchy. She can turn that on and off.

I think Laura takes good pictures, but I question whether she has the temperament for modeling. Sophie seems to be a better fit and she's certainly more mature than Laura.

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess View Post
    I'm shocked with the eliminations, I didn't think THAT would happen! I think Sophie is the clear winner now.
    I love it when its a surprise as to who goes home. I watched it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I hope you are right about Sophie I love her, and have from the start. I had a lump in my throat for Alisha, but she did the right thing.Eboni's photo's were not that good imnsho.I wont miss her

good show last night
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

None of these gals are ' bad' winners. Granted, Sophie is probably the strongest overall with Laura as a close second but Sophie is probably more fitted to the dedication the business requires--and the prizes offered this cycle (you can't be a news correspondent and yap about getting orgasms on camera and such). Annaliese is not as strong overall (especially from a purely high-fashion POV) but she is so darn likeable that I have a hard time not loving her, too!
    mushybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    In fairness, I have kept my overall detailed assesssments of the photos in spoilers. The one comparison I've made with Eboni was in reference to last week's silk worm shoot.

And IMHO general assessments of "Safe, good, etc." are too vague and subjective. Whom I think did brilliant may be seen to you as doing horrendous.

This may seem a bit harsh, but while I can understand if it's details that annoy you, generalities aren't exactly fair. That said, I will try and keep my personal opinions in spoilers - and by personal I mean detailed.
    I really don't want to belabor the point, but let me try to explain where I was coming from when I commented:

Keep in mind that this episode involved a "Fear Factor" shoot with the models posing on a bungee-jumping platform on a huge tower in wind and rain, with safety equipment involved. They established back in Canada that some of the remaining models are terrified of heights, and Jay Manuel even brought it back up again.

Any one of those models could have said, "Jay, I just can't go out there," and opted for risking going to judging with no photo. And if two of them had refused to take the photo-- like Robyn and Shannon in C1's nude diamonds shoot-- they might have judged them on other qualities and eliminated either one, or they could have sent both packing (which, ironically, happened this week anyway).

Even though you only gave generalities, by simply listing who you thought did best and worst, you still told me that all five were going to get out there and shoot at least one photo, regardless of how much "Will Sophie chicken out? Will Alisha?" buildup they might try to create.

I just want to be clear-- even by telling me this, you didn't "spoil" the episode for me, and I'm certainly not trying to make you feel bad about it.

I'm only trying to explain how what might reasonably seem like a "harmless non-specific" can still constitute a "spolier" in some contexts-- and by doing so, hopefully come across as maybe a little less of a crazy control-freak thread Nazi.

And like I said before, I realize that at the same time, limiting the discussion like that might be unfair to other participants-- especially if whole conversations were forced to be reduced to spolier tags-- so an easier solution would be for me to just skip reading the forum for a day or so until after I've seen the episode.

Anyway, moving on-- I was sorry to see Alisha go, but I guess she did the right thing if the "up and down" was crushing her spirit and hurting her to the extent she wanted out. And I was stunned that Tyra eliminated Eboni anyway, rather than a repeat of the Michelle/Amanda thing in C7.

I really thought Eboni was being groomed for the "process of elimination" win. I guess it's just that I see a lot of basic physical potential in Eboni even though she was fumbling; maybe if she keeps at it and works with someone on posing, she can make it. I thought she basically photographed well, even though she had trouble with finding her best angle and controlling her body. And although there were some criticisms, she at least looked fairly professional on runway during the challenges where they walked shows.

Speaking of which, did anybody else notice we didn't get the usual "models frantically navigating the streets of Macau (or Hong Kong), trying to make all the go-sees" bit? Did the runway bookings in Canada and the later challenge involving getting selected to open the runway show for aspiring designers take the place of that?

As for the F3:

Even though I think Laura is a very good model and I had said earlier she was one of my picks for F3/F2, I'm a bit disenchanted with her after this week. I would have originally said it's a certainty that a US model will win, but she's the last one left and the edit is really not showing the type of girl who wins. She's certainly not the first model to be unable to conceal her attraction to a male she's working with (even Shannon in C1 had this problem), and certainly not the only one to be attracted to Nigel. But when you go on about sex to the point that you're actually pointing out architectural structures in a way that makes you sound like "Quagmira" (*giggity*), well... Unless CG is okay with "easy" taking on a new meaning, I think Laura's out.

AnnaLiese keeps getting "she's not a model, she's a presenter"-- yeah, like this competition is really about finding a model anymore. But since that criticism's kind of hard to ignore, it might mean she's not going to win. On the other hand, Nigel speaking up for her and citing Mercedes as having a successful "commercial" career might mean she'll pull it off. Two more pluses: AnnaLiese tested well with the focus group, and there hasn't been a black winner since Krista. So it could go either way.

Sophie has mostly done very well at modeling, but not so well at all the non-modeling challenges. If they go with "we're not just looking for a good model, we're looking for someone who can be more" she might be in trouble. Still, she's very personable and I could see her being able to do interviews, etc., outside the pressure of the competition. She seems prone to break into giggle-fits when she gets a little nervous (like in the Nicholas Tse shoot), but it's actually rather endearing, and-- true fact: Goldie Hawn based an entire career on that seeming "liability". So I can easily see Sophie winning-- unless they feel she's already more successful than the others and doesn't "need" it enough.

Come to think of it, they've said AnnaLiese already has a career as a radio presenter, so we're back to Laura as the one who "needs" it the most. (But if she's going to win, yipes, why that edit?)

And did I mishear something? I could have sworn that when Tyra was doing the "fabulous prize package" spiel at judging, she said the winner gets a chance at contracts with an agency in LA and an agency in NYC. Hadn't she previously said that the winner gets contracts with both agencies?

"A chance at a contract" can mean that they just set up a go-see with the agency and you get a tour and shoot a polaroid, then shake a lot of hands and "buh-bye". It's potentially like when C1 made a big deal about Revlon each week, and Adrienne said all she really got was a quick look-over and out.

I just hope they're not setting the winner up to expect more of a shot at modeling than they're going to deliver. Then again, back when winners got a "one-year contract" with whatever agency, how much actual work materialized for them?

+ Reply to Thread