+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 201
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

  1. #121
    ~ SurrnderDorothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    414

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I'm still peeved that they used the Kardashians...

    Afterall REALLY - WHY do you want to be associated by a bunch of people who got their claim to fame because one did an infamous sex tape?

    (Yes, there is Bruce Jenner in the family but a. He's barely shown anywhere and b. He actually DID do something positive - win gold in the Olympics.)
    Actually, the original "claim to fame" for the family was the loose connection to the O.J. Simpson case-- the late Robert Kardashian became a household name for a while as O.J.'s long-term friend and one of his defense attorneys during the trial.

    Although the Kardashians had divorced and Kris had remarried Bruce Jenner years before the murders, she had also been close friends with the Simpsons, particularly Nicole, and was drawn into the spotlight to some degree in the media coverage.

    It's true that Kim's sex tape scandal predated the reality TV show by several months (I had to look this up on Wikipedia, by the way), but she was actually known to some extent before the tape was even released-- partially due to her family's connection to O.J., partially due to being part of Paris Hilton's crowd.

    It's so strange-- Tyra lectures the models about not looking too "hoochie" or "men's magazine"-- even eliminating a couple for being too sexy-- and makes a BIG deal out of her own limits in her modeling years, "being positive role models for young girls," blah, blah, blah.

    And then she turns around and has Kim Kardashian as a guest judge on the show. Eeeeeeyeah, Tyra. Way to inspire them.

  2. #122
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,218

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    And then she turns around and has Kim Kardashian as a guest judge on the show. Eeeeeeyeah, Tyra. Way to inspire them
    Well said! I cant think why she would be a judge, unfortunately this isn't just a modeling show, its a reality show about modeling. Kim has lots of followers, and its all about bringing in the ratings.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  3. #123
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    Seen the photos for this week, and will say that IMHO Sophie and Alisha's are brilliant, Laura's is safe, Anneliese sadly has some problems and Eboni's is really really bad.

    Which means that Eboni will be safe and Anneliese will go home.

    Seriously, as much as I was disappointed in the choice of Saleshia a few years ago as a winner (well - choice, really IMHO handpicked), I think she was a better model (save the tulip shot, which scarily enough Eboni copied the hand position in the shoot last week).

    And yes, in spoilers
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sophie does NOT look scared in her shot. She has a slightly similar face to last week but it's more smizing - Blech - than last week's. She has a more interesting body position too.

    Oh and Laura is safe because she's actually lounging - read sitting - on the base instead of standing. I don't see it as being a "risk" when posing so high - and given the others are standing, I read it as safe.

  4. #124
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    BTW, since the tongue smiley does the happy face, I need to make a clarification - it was more of an type reaction with sarcasm.

    I personally think Ebony needs to go home - she's had two and from the looks of things three very weak shots compared to the other models. If she ends up in the final two and wins, I think it'll be tantamount to Saleshia winning several years ago.

  5. #125
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,139

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    BTW, since the tongue smiley does the happy face, I need to make a clarification - it was more of an type reaction with sarcasm.

    I personally think Ebony needs to go home - she's had two and from the looks of things three very weak shots compared to the other models. If she ends up in the final two and wins, I think it'll be tantamount to Saleshia winning several years ago.
    We had to get rid of the :pffft smiley because too many people were using it to express their opinions about other posters.

    I agree with your assessment of the photo shoot this week. Eboni's is terrible. If they don't eliminate her, it's fixed. Annaliese's wasn't great, but it's wasn't even in the neighborhood of Eboni's.

    I haven't always been a big Alisha fan, but I like this picture. The worst thing about that shoot is the ghastly shoes! Ick. Are those a new trend or something? I think I'll pass!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  6. #126
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    We had to get rid of the :pffft smiley because too many people were using it to express their opinions about other posters.

    I agree with your assessment of the photo shoot this week. Eboni's is terrible. If they don't eliminate her, it's fixed. Annaliese's wasn't great, but it's wasn't even in the neighborhood of Eboni's.

    I haven't always been a big Alisha fan, but I like this picture. The worst thing about that shoot is the ghastly shoes! Ick. Are those a new trend or something? I think I'll pass!
    Eh, at least I now know why (and understand) I'll just use the Wow or Confused or the oh no smilies for sarcasm.

    The reason for the shoes is the location - and since this was in the previews I don't think it's spoilery: It's about 700-800 feet up. It's a safety reason plain and simple, because even with the harnesses they use, there's just too much safety risk.

    BTW - my assessment of Eboni's silk photo last week and comparing it to Saleshia's tulip shot is scarily a little too accurate. The only main difference is that Eboni's dress is too long to copy it exactly. Saleshia's was borderline on a certain genre where her hand was (a bit under the dress). And comparing the photos and then looking at the other models of the cycle Saleshia was in? - Man, there is no question in my mind that season was set to guarantee her the win. All the models had overall better shots.

  7. #127
    ~ SurrnderDorothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    414

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    I haven't seen the photos and kind of wish those who do want to see them ahead of time would maybe just spoiler hide the entire assessment of them, rather than say who they thought did better than the others.

    Although I guess that would lead to weird interchanges, like "Well, I saw the pictures for this week, and thought that [spoiler]." "Sorry, I disagree, because [spoiler]." "Yeah, but [spoiler]."

    Yeah, I know-- I could also just stay out of the thread until after I've seen the episode!


    Anyway, "la-la-la, can't hear you..." and yeah, I agree-- this is so shaping up to be an Eboni win.

    However, I think that she has more potential to shine than Saleisha did-- especially if she can lose the bangs and the branding and get some coaching on photoshoots-- so it's not quite as painful as C9, when they had so many much better models (Lisa Jackson, Heather, Jenah) get axed to let Dora/Tootie skate through.

    I really think it should be one of the Brit models winning, but despite the whole premise of the "special" cycle, I don't think it'll happen.

  8. #128
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,218

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    I haven't seen the photos and kind of wish those who do want to see them ahead of time would maybe just spoiler hide the entire assessment of them, rather than say who they thought did better than the others.

    Although I guess that would lead to weird interchanges, like "Well, I saw the pictures for this week, and thought that [spoiler]." "Sorry, I disagree, because [spoiler]." "Yeah, but [spoiler]."

    Yeah, I know-- I could also just stay out of the thread until after I've seen the episode!


    Anyway, "la-la-la, can't hear you..." and yeah, I agree-- this is so shaping up to be an Eboni win.

    However, I think that she has more potential to shine than Saleisha did-- especially if she can lose the bangs and the branding and get some coaching on photoshoots-- so it's not quite as painful as C9, when they had so many much better models (Lisa Jackson, Heather, Jenah) get axed to let Dora/Tootie skate through.

    I really think it should be one of the Brit models winning, but despite the whole premise of the "special" cycle, I don't think it'll happen.
    I agree, I try and stay away but it calls to me.LOL
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  9. #129
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    I haven't seen the photos and kind of wish those who do want to see them ahead of time would maybe just spoiler hide the entire assessment of them, rather than say who they thought did better than the others.

    Although I guess that would lead to weird interchanges, like "Well, I saw the pictures for this week, and thought that [spoiler]." "Sorry, I disagree, because [spoiler]." "Yeah, but [spoiler]."

    Yeah, I know-- I could also just stay out of the thread until after I've seen the episode!
    In fairness, I have kept my overall detailed assesssments of the photos in spoilers. The one comparison I've made with Eboni was in reference to last week's silk worm shoot.

    And IMHO general assessments of "Safe, good, etc." are too vague and subjective. Whom I think did brilliant may be seen to you as doing horrendous.

    This may seem a bit harsh, but while I can understand if it's details that annoy you, generalities aren't exactly fair. That said, I will try and keep my personal opinions in spoilers - and by personal I mean detailed.

    Anyway, "la-la-la, can't hear you..." and yeah, I agree-- this is so shaping up to be an Eboni win.

    However, I think that she has more potential to shine than Saleisha did-- especially if she can lose the bangs and the branding and get some coaching on photoshoots-- so it's not quite as painful as C9, when they had so many much better models (Lisa Jackson, Heather, Jenah) get axed to let Dora/Tootie skate through.

    I really think it should be one of the Brit models winning, but despite the whole premise of the "special" cycle, I don't think it'll happen.
    I guess what would bug me more is that if it seems that a British model were not to win over Eboni - as IMHO all of them, even Anneliese who is seen as the weakest of the remaining Brits, that they could cry foul. And honestly, I think most of them would feel as though this had been a waste of time if they lose to her. I don't think - based on what I've heard and felt - from the other models (Eliminated and present) that should Laura win they'd be as upset, because she can model.

    What bugged me more is - especially now - that Saleshia DID do a Wendy's commercial within the timeframe that would DQ another model (you cannot have a national campaign within five years) and the producers ruled "It's not modeling."

    YET - they have them do Cover Girl commercials and are now doing Extra slots, which have been deemed modeling.

    So, to this day I'll maintain it was rigged, but at least what went around came around and Saleshia has done less than most if not all the winners.

  10. #130
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,139

    Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    I haven't seen the photos and kind of wish those who do want to see them ahead of time would maybe just spoiler hide the entire assessment of them, rather than say who they thought did better than the others.

    Although I guess that would lead to weird interchanges, like "Well, I saw the pictures for this week, and thought that [spoiler]." "Sorry, I disagree, because [spoiler]." "Yeah, but [spoiler]."

    Yeah, I know-- I could also just stay out of the thread until after I've seen the episode!


    Anyway, "la-la-la, can't hear you..." and yeah, I agree-- this is so shaping up to be an Eboni win.

    However, I think that she has more potential to shine than Saleisha did-- especially if she can lose the bangs and the branding and get some coaching on photoshoots-- so it's not quite as painful as C9, when they had so many much better models (Lisa Jackson, Heather, Jenah) get axed to let Dora/Tootie skate through.

    I really think it should be one of the Brit models winning, but despite the whole premise of the "special" cycle, I don't think it'll happen.
    I'm happy to put my opinions in spoilers, but they are just that - opinions. Last week I thought Sophie's was great and the judges hated it. Saying I liked one photo over another isn't, IMO, a spoiler. Giving details about the photo shoot is one thing, but just saying that you liked one pic or hated another isn't really a spoiler.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.