+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: ANTM All-Stars Show Discussion Thread

Re: ANTM All-Stars Show Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Why would getting pregnant disqualify Angelea from Top Model?? There must have been another reason she was disqualified. I'm betting it's either that she revealed who the winner was or something unrelated to the show, like she held up a convenience store, got busted for DUI, or had a nervous breakdown.
    If she was pregnant and not married, it'd give a negative image of the show. Yes, we've had several models who have had children and such - but I don't recall any of them winning (even Shannon who is married and has children, hasn't won).

Plus, depending on WHEN the contract started, she could be so far along that doing the stuff required could be over taxing to her and the baby.

That all said, even I agree it's more than that - because there is a demand for pregnant mothers as well for photoshoots.

FORT Fogey

Well, Tyra high tailed it out of town so we won't be hearing from her any time soon ( Big surprise). The boyfriend supposedly broke up with her after three years so she and a friend have gone to Bali for " spiritual enlightenment". Perfect timing!

jmb: Angelea must have been the winner.
    If Angelea wasn't the winner, then there would have been no reason to reshoot the finale... the winner would have been crowned, and Angelea would have been out. End of story.
    Exactly. "End of story."

No news items, no speculation, probably no continued discussion here a week later if they didn't reshoot the finale for maximum "WTH just happened?" effect. Keep in mind, they could've edited the show to deal with the DQ in a number of ways, regardless of who won.

If Angelea won but was DQed and was stripped of the title, they could've edited to include the original judging and her win, followed immediately by a few seconds of a grim-faced Tyra making "A. Very. Important. Announcement. Prior to the finale, we learned that by revealing the winner on the internet, Angelea Preston has breached her contract with CW and the producers of ANTM and has been disqualified. As a result, all prizes she won have been forfeited. All contracts awarded to the winner have now been passed to the second-place contestant, Lisa D'Amato. Regardless of this executive decision, all of us at ANTM wish Angelea only the best."

And if Lisa won and Angelea was second but had to forfeit all prizes she won during the competition, they could've simply tacked on a written disclaimer with that information at the beginning or end of the credits.

Either of these options would've been cheaper, easier and would've gotten all the necessary legal information across-- but Cycle 17 would've ended with a small "clunk" and been out of the public radar by Friday.

And the producers know this, which is why they ditched the original judging footage and tacked on the reshot footage with no explanation of "What. We. Later. Learned. About. Angelea." that caused such a controversial ending. After all, they quite easily could have said at that point that Angelea breached the confidentiality clause of her contract-- but they didn't.

Since the way it was all handled was clearly carefully orchestrated for maximum "WTH?" shock effect, it's not guaranteed that they wouldn't have reshot the ending if Lisa won.

Even though it's not likely to happen, when Lisa does that interviewing stint at "Extra!" the one person I most want to see her interview is Suzette Charles, assuming she still does interviews. (Wikipedia the name if you're too young to get the reference.)
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 12-14-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    alizarules likes this.

FORT Fogey

I caught the repeat of the finale last night on CW. I was flipping during X Factor and came in on the panel so I stayed with it to listen for the exact words that were used to descibe the DQ. Tyra said that the production staff and CW obtained "information from Angelea". If the show was filmed in May and June and she was pregnant, then by November she would have been 6-7 months along, which might tell us why she has not appeared out in public to talk about herself----something she LOVED to do. Absolute silence from her is uncharacteristic

In an interview Allison gave yesterday (not sure if I can name the site, but if you do a Google News search for her name you'll find it), they asked when she found out about the DQ, and she said she found out not too far from whenever the show finished wrapping. But no further info over whether Angelea or Lisa won or what caused the DQ.

She did say, however, that the sensitive eye thing was way overblown by the show, and it wasn't like she needed to get special contacts for it.

And for what it's worth, there's an interview out there (try Google News) where someone purporting to be Jeff Cohen of Model Management Group is saying that they are now representing Angelea, and that the announcement that she was going to give a press conference this past Saturday was an unauthorized announcement by a freelance agent Angelea had worked with as a freelance model.

He said MMG is trying to get her in touch with an attorney who can advise her on her rights, and that they're not sure what exactly happened to DQ her but are advising Angelea that she needs to get to the bottom of it and end the speculation and speak out as soon as possible.

He also said quite firmly that the reason for the DQ wasn't that she revealed anything on Facebook or elsewhere, because she had already been through a cycle of ANTM, and she was a smart person who would never post anything that would disqualify.

So, it gets even more curious...
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 12-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Based on the tone I got from Tyra and co.'s comments last night (I had missed this part last go), I'm leaning toward a pregnancy issue too. Most model agencies don't use models who are pregnant, so it'd essentially DQ her from the contest. I'd think too this'd be in their contract.

I hope though she doesn't sue especially if she does have a contract with some model organization. It would hurt her so bad it's not funny - she is a unique enough beauty that she could do well long term and come out stronger NOT being the winner than if she were.

The one plus - if she was indeed pregnant and DQ'd because of it, I'd guess she kept the baby and for that I have more respect for her than I ever have before.

And I have to admit I want to say there was one WTF moment - them saying Lisa's commercial was tacky. I actually thought it was cute with the flirting and yes even the dancing. Other CG commercials with the bigger names also have done similar stuff.

I'd still liked Allison to have won, but Lisa proved she earned her win.

(BTW - I HATED the masks they wore for the transformation. They only did it due to the little bait and switch trick on the models - staggering so as to hide they were not the same people. Still - TOO GARISH)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've just never heard it mentioned on Next Top Model that pregnancy is grounds for disqualification. I would think you could still model for Covergirl while pregnant and as for working for Extra, she wouldn't be pregnant forever so she could work up until she had the baby, take some leave, and then be back after. I still think it makes no sense for pregnancy to be the reason she was let go.

I also don't believe it would be negative publicity from being pregnant and unmarried. Really? In this day and age are models expected to be little Suzy Homemaker's, no pregnancy outside of marriage? When I'm looking through magazines, I don't stop to wonder if the models are single or married, chaste or unchaste. I'm not going to not buy cosmetics because I think the model wearing them is a slut. It's totally irrelevant.

FORT Fogey

I don't think it is so much the morality etc of the pregnancy...I think it is the model's appearance. When everything is appearance, the model may be contracted to appear as she looked when hired. Any change is not what the company signed on for. There is a line in CHORUS LINE ( and I KNOW IT IS NOT THE EXACT SAME THING) when the kids are given their contracts for the show. The are told " Do not change your hair or anything between now and the start of rehersals."

I still say that she is "in hiding" is so out of character for Angelea.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I don't think it is so much the morality etc of the pregnancy...I think it is the model's appearance. When everything is appearance, the model may be contracted to appear as she looked when hired. Any change is not what the company signed on for. There is a line in CHORUS LINE ( and I KNOW IT IS NOT THE EXACT SAME THING) when the kids are given their contracts for the show. The are told " Do not change your hair or anything between now and the start of rehersals."

I still say that she is "in hiding" is so out of character for Angelea.
    My initial response was the morality, but then thinking about it the issue is more the ability and things she could shoot while pregnant.

Plus, this IS Tyra we're dealing with and she could've had some big issue about it. Then again, given that Lisa had a huge drinking problem (and it's huge enough to require rehab), I don't know if it's that big.

The comparison to "Chorus Line" is factual - I worked for a Six Flags park and we were told we couldn't change anything because we were hired partially for our looks (and yes, this even includes costumed character, which I did).

It would be nice though if Angelea was allowed to speak up - because if it is she's pregnant she could be seen as a positive role model in that if you make a mistake, there are options other than abortion. If it's leaking info then it should be a warning to those who go on the shows to keep things a secret.

Okay, this is all speculation, but I think I've figured out why Angelea was DQed-- assuming what I've been reading online isn't bogus, and assuming the ANTM contracts weren't changed for this cycle.

(I don't know if I can provide links or names of websites on FORT, but if you run a Google News search for "Angelea", you can easily find what I've been reading.)

I don't think she's pregnant at all now-- I think the real reason is something not at all sensationalistic or scandalous, and if I'm correct, I'm amazed it hasn't been revealed by now.

Angelea was at some recent point affiliated to some extent with an agent named Alycia Kaback, who heads a group of talent agencies including "The IT Factor Group," "Kaback Model Management," and "Colby Models." Kaback refers to Angelea on her website as "spokesperson for The IT Factor" and entries on her blogs indicate that Angelea was making public appearances on Kaback's behalf as C17 started-- including an appearance on Sept. 17 at "The VIP Talent Connect Networking Summit" where she was a featured celeb guest.

Kaback is also the person who announced to the press that Angelea would tell all about the DQ in a Dec. 9 press conference, but now claims on her blog that the press conference was cancelled at the last minute due to "pressure from the network to keep quiet."

Meanwhile, Jeff Cohen of Model Management Group is claiming that he represents Angelea, not Kaback, and that Kaback announced the press conference without even consulting Angelea.

Cohen also says they don't know why Angelea was DQed, but it wasn't an online leak, and she's getting attorneys to look into how she can get it all out in the open and over with ASAP.

He also says the proof that he represents her, rather than Kaback, is that Angelea's Facebook page listed her employers as The IT Factor Productions, Colby Models, and MMG as recently as Dec. 12, but it's been updated to only list MMG.

Which all leads me to this-- what are the restrictions in ANTM's contracts about being represented by an agency at the time you appear on the show? And would they still apply in this special "All-Stars" cycle?

Depending on what connection Angelea had with Alycia Kaback and her agencies at what point, it potentially could have caused a conflict of interest to an extent that would've prevented Angelea from being able to fulfill the winner's obligations, thus DQing her.

And would the confidentiality clause have prevented Angelea from making that Sept 17 appearance at Kaback's event?

I have a feeling the big, mysterious DQ is all going to turn out to be about this-- rather than pregnancy, drugs, illegal status, criminal record, or anything else scandalous people have been buzzing about online.

+ Reply to Thread