+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: ANTM All-Stars Show Discussion Thread

Re: ANTM All-Stars Show Discussion Thread

Well I loved it.I love every season, cant wait for he next ANTM!

TO me, the series started taking a serious turn for the worse after - ironically - Lisa's cycle. The first four, and to a point five - cycles had overall beautiful girls and more importantly beautiful shots. There have been many excellent photoshoot ideas since, but not as many overall as one would want. And several - such as the death shoot - actually had overall good results but were so controversial they weren't funny.

And - I think Lisa has a great personality, but going by ages they've used for modeling and an excuse to eliminate a girl - she's too old. She's also a bit of a sob story being a recovering alcoholic, which Tyra loves to exploit (I'm NOT at all dissing Lisa's recovery here - she's doing excellent given her response in the bar during this cycle, this is towards Tyra).

Those talking about Celia - even at 25, like Kasia I think last cycle, they still would take younger looking photos. Celia was given too severe a haircut and dye job, and Kasia I think they just wanted a certain final two - her elimination photo was actually one of the better ones.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    It's driving me crazy not to know why Angelea was DQd. I wish they would come out with the reason. I like Lisa as the winner and really didn't like Angelea's attitude or personality. Lisa was on Celebrity Rehab? I don't remember that but I liked Lisa's professionalism when she was faced with all of those shots at the bar. You would think she was a drinker with her 'party girl' personality and I liked the fact that she shows you can have fun being sober.
    Wait a few weeks or months when the gag orders are not in effect anymore and then Angelea will be talking up a storm defending herself and condemning the show, or vice versa.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

In response to the "Lisa is too old" comments, age is really not applicable here. This wasn't the usual ANTM competition, and the prize package was different-- most notably, no contract with an agency.

This cycle, it was all about personality and establishing your "branding," not so much about being the "fresh face of CoverGirl". Otherwise, they should've limited the selections to past contestants from the last six cycles or so.

Furthermore, is CG really only about "fresh young faces"? Who do you see most often in CG ads these days? Not young 20ish models, but older actresses like Drew Barrymore (36!) and Ellen DeGeneres (53!!)-- and Ellen even has a commercial where she tells the viewer to use CG so they won't call you "wrinkle face"!

Since she's got such a big personality, I could easily see Lisa doing TV commercials for CG.

---

And I think Celia was not eliminated so much for "looking old" (that was just the official excuse) as for the bizarre stunt she pulled at panel, when she came forward and told the judges they needed to send another girl home because she really wasn't invested in it and was just wasting space.
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 12-12-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added comment about Celia
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    In response to the "Lisa is too old" comments, age is really not applicable here. This wasn't the usual ANTM competition, and the prize package was different-- most notably, no contract with an agency.

This cycle, it was all about personality and establishing your "branding," not so much about being the "fresh face of CoverGirl". Otherwise, they should've limited the selections to past contestants from the last six cycles or so.

Furthermore, is CG really only about "fresh young faces"? Who do you see most often in CG ads these days? Not young 20ish models, but older actresses like Drew Barrymore (36!) and Ellen DeGeneres (53!!)-- and Ellen even has a commercial where she tells the viewer to use CG so they won't call you "wrinkle face"!

Since she's got such a big personality, I could easily see Lisa doing TV commercials for CG.

---

And I think Celia was not eliminated so much for "looking old" (that was just the official excuse) as for the bizarre stunt she pulled at panel, when she came forward and told the judges they needed to send another girl home because she really wasn't invested in it and was just wasting space.
    Can't speak for everyone, but will say that Lisa while old, did take a smouldering CG picture. I wasn't fond though for a shadow commercial one eye was covered. My opinion about the sob story though stands in regard to Tyra and her decision (though I personally congratulate Lisa for sticking to her guns - the ones on her sunglasses - in regard to recovering from alcohol addiction).

Celia's though will confound me though because said elimination was a few weeks after that incident. And if I recall correctly, the person did leave a week or so later by elimination. I do maintain though that horrid haircut and color made her look my age (early 30s) instead of the 25 she was. Her portfolio since shows too - she's since grown her hair back out.

Quote Originally Posted by kerowyn66 View Post
    Wait a few weeks or months when the gag orders are not in effect anymore and then Angelea will be talking up a storm defending herself and condemning the show, or vice versa.
    I think she got pregnant - no way they could give her a Extra assignment pregnant. Or fashion blog with traveling. But you would think they would come out with that.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

jadewarlock: Celia's though will confound me though because said elimination was a few weeks after that incident. And if I recall correctly, the person did leave a week or so later by elimination.
    Looking up that cycle in Wikipedia and assuming all info is correct, the Celia "incident" happened during week 5 (Ellis Island shoot).

Tahlia got best photo that week, Celia was called 7th out of 10, and Sandra and Kortnie (second oldest model at 24) were in the bottom two. Right after Tyra called Sandra's name, Celia walked over and told them that they should eliminate Tahlia instead of Kortnie because Tahlia had said she wanted to quit. Tyra told her she was out of line for trying to speak for Tahlia, and the judges' decision had already been made and was final.

Even though she was praised for a strong photo, Celia was in the bottom two the following week (beauty shots wearing colored powder, week 6), and the reason cited was her previous week's behavior (Tyra warned her to "not mess with another girl's money"). She was spared because of her strong portfolio and fashion sense, and Sandra was eliminated on her third time in the bottom two.

The week after that, though (acting challenge and group CG commercials, week 7), Celia placed first (out of a generally disappointing pack) with Allison and Tahlia in the bottom two. Allison was criticized for lacking versatility, and Tahlia was sent home for looking older than she was and for lacking confidence.

Celia was again in the bottom two with Fo in week 11 (go-sees in Brazil, group shot on the beach shot by Nigel). Even though Celia booked the most go-sees (4 out of 5), she was criticized for not looking fresh and for overthinking her posing, and Fo was eliminated for failing to overcome being too short.

The following week ("birds in nests" shot by Tyra), Celia was praised at the shoot for looking fresh and being creative, but was placed in the bottom two with Aminat, who struggled with posing. Even though Celia was judged to have a better overall portfolio, they criticized her for continuing to look "old" and eliminated her.

While I agree that Celia was undermined by the makeover they gave her and they repeatedly kept dealing that "looks old" card during judging, I think it's telling that in a reunion of "The Tyra Banks Show" they brought up Celia's behavior, not her appearance, and Tyra chastized her one more time.

I really do think that certain things they do can cause the models to get eliminated, even if it's not directly cited as the reason, and even if the elimination comes at some point after the behavior.

Remember, in C5 Lisa D'Amato's "diaper incident" wasn't even addressed, and Nicole Linkletter and Jayla were put in the bottom two that same week and subjected to a fakeout "double elimination" that turned into no elimination and announcement of the trip to London. The official reason for this was that Cassandra had quit over her makeover, leaving them with only six models at this point-- but realistically, they could've done the "no elimination" thing at any time during the four previous weeks.

The next week in London, even though she had a standout photo (group shot in phone booth with tabloids) and was said in panel to have out-modeled the others when she was in their backgrounds, Lisa was eliminated for the vague reason of having too strong a personality.
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 12-13-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: to clarify point

The possibility that Angelea might be pregnant crossed my mind when they showed her on the finale episode with her head down on a table, appearing ill, and a slit in the seam at the waist of her dress. Just seemed to pop out there as "clues" to me. I don't know why that would be such a hush-hush secret, though.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SurrnderDorothy View Post
    Now interviews with Lisa are implying that Angelea wasn't the winner and that Lisa was chosen even in the original footage shot in Greece.
    Angelea must have been the winner.
    If Angelea wasn't the winner, then there would have been no reason to reshoot the finale... the winner would have been crowned, and Angelea would have been out. End of story.
    I really wonder what she did... and what a pity it is that she would throw away all of those prizes.
    It will be interesting to find out what she did to breach her contract.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Why would getting pregnant disqualify Angelea from Top Model?? There must have been another reason she was disqualified. I'm betting it's either that she revealed who the winner was or something unrelated to the show, like she held up a convenience store, got busted for DUI, or had a nervous breakdown.

+ Reply to Thread