+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: ANTM All-Stars Show Discussion Thread

Re: ANTM All-Stars Show Discussion Thread

I didn't like Eva's hair either.She is still stunning though

Quote Originally Posted by princess07 View Post
    Now Bianca, I soo agree with you about sitting in a bathtub of water to sell perfume that was stupid and was taken a back when Tyra voiced her opinion about it, yet Shannon did the same thing and is still there. Talk about your double standards.
    All the more reason I maintain that Tyra is setting Shannon up to win and this whole thing is a farce. I still think Tyra regrets choosing Adrienne over Shannon because of Adrienne's post work (though she has done some wonderful model work too), and her comments about the prizes and not being awarded them (which looking back I think she is right there).

BTW, to the person who clarified this for me, I didn't know about the Robyn issue with her flashing her breasts and still not doing the shot. Still... my point about how if she had even shot one shot she'd been in the final three is pretty valid. Same went with Anna in cycle 2 - had she shot even just one shot, she'd been in the show longer

I'm sorry, but I disagree that Robyn would've remained in for the F3 over Shannon if she'd done even one shot on the nude diamonds ad.

Robyn's portfolio was overall not as good as Shannon's, Tyra criticized her runway as being too "church fashion show", she was sort of plus-sized, and she was one of the oldest contestants. Not likely to have been first out of the box to represent ANTM, and I think she was there that long only for the drama.

Keep in mind, Robyn instigated a lot of drama in the house that cycle by flaunting her religious beliefs. She attempted to ostracize the openly lesbian contestant (I think her name was Ebony) when her girlfriend came to visit, and pushed Elyse almost to the breaking point when she made everyone join hands to pray for removal of the "demonic forces" in the house.

While Shannon was a committed Christian before coming to the house, she pretty much followed Robyn's lead in everything, as did another model, Kessee (sp?), who was part of their little Bible-reading clique in the house.

If Robyn had been eliminated before the nude diamonds shoot, I think Shannon would've done it after having been told she wouldn't really be fully nude. Or if Robyn had done the shoot, I think Shannon would have as well. I don't think there was a way Shannon wouldn't have been in the F3 alongside Elyse and Adrienne.

And remember, Elyse decided she couldn't take the chance she might keep Adrienne from reaching her dream and basically self-eliminated by sounding like she didn't take modeling seriously when asked a pointed question by Tyra at the semi-final panel. Of course, she went on to become one of the most successful post-ANTM models.

Who knows? Maybe Tyra wanted Elyse to come back and get named "America's Next Top Model" officially, and Elyse blew her off-- so she invited Shannon in her place in order to "do over" C1. (Nah-- probably a little too "conspiracy theory" even for this show. )

And I'm really not sure that Anna could've stayed in for shooting even one photo in C2. It was the first photo shoot, so it's hard to tell what her potential as a model was.

She was a very attractive woman, but being plus-sized, she was very curvy and had the type of looks that could go "men's magazine" really easily. She would've had to fight that constantly. (And I wonder if her looks caused her embarrassment in real life, given her stated feelings.)

And add to that the fact that she immediately took the attitude that "my body is a temple of God and is for my husband only"; I think that showed she had so many limitations on what she'd allow herself to do that she would've been a constant headache on shoots.

So even if she'd gritted her teeth and had gotten just one nude shot in, I think Tyra would've found a reason to send her home.
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 10-29-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Anna mostly likely would've stayed over Jenacia because Jenacia was late to a shoot. Tyra really did seem more peeved at the tardiness than refusal and I think Anya would've looked good even in that body paint. That said, I have to admit Jenacia grew on me and I felt that she was cheated in the look-alike photoshoot. She epitomized Selma Hayak better than a couple did their characters. (I have wondered if Tyra set up Anna to fail though - because Jenacia's outfit had her mostly covered, including a long fabric type covering/skirt, whereas Anna's design was pretty much a few bubbles. Heck, most of the other girls had more covering of body paint).

I still think that Tyra tends to favor those who at least attempt to do the shots. That said... I do think the final three in Cycle 1 was the right one. It's just I still feel that Tyra's ego is so large she might've surprised us there.

All this said? - I still think that Shannon should've been eliminated over Bianca. Right or wrong on the photos she's still shot more interesting ones than Shannon has this season. Plus, Bianca's improved from her previous go while Shannon has IMHO dropped, just like Kayla did.
    Allie likes this.

Pot Ledom!

Allison was so amazing, she was the only one who had a song I found catchy. Underwater was a beautiful song. Absolutely amazing! I knew she would win! Dominique definitely channeled some Leona Lewis and J-Lo. Laura had a cutesy song too, very disney star like.

Alexandria is gone, finally she can Go-Go-Go! lol

I actually liked most of the videos... I STRONGLY DISLIKED Tyra and that little kid (at least I think he is... I really don't know the fellow) being inserted into the shots. They really ruined some of those IMHO with the very cheezy and ugly costumes.

Allison's was quite pretty, and yes a bit weird. I'm glad she was able to work through it and produce probably one of the best videos there. I also liked Laura's, Lisa's - only because it fit her though I am getting irritated, and Angelea's.

The bottom two? - fitting quite honestly, but again, NOT SURPRISED that Alexandra was eliminated. She has had poor photos for the past few weeks, has been styled and looked old, and the overacting finally caught up to her. I have a feeling she also had the most retakes.

I do have to say this is the first time all season I have wondered what it'd been like if say Brittany, Bianca or yes even Isis were still in the Cycle.

Now, next week and how that turns out will determine what I think this season will end up being as far as who the winner is. Shannon's comments about the photoshoot I find ironic if you look at Cycle one. I hope that what we saw as far as Laura is a distracter and she ends up with the best shot of the bunch (kinda like with Allison and the supposed horrible recording).

(BTW - Tyra isn't exactly right about Pot Ledom being backwards for Top Model. It would actually be Ledom Pot, because a backwards reflection would flop the words from going left to right to right from left. She used it the way she did because it trips off the tongue a lot better and doesn't sound like it might belong in "The Lord of the Rings" triology. ).
    pikachu and Allie like this.

Given that I'm really old-school about models-- okay, just really OLD-- I'm annoyed that Tyra didn't bring up Grace Jones, who is probably the best example of a model taking her personality and using it to branch into other areas.

Jones was an American model in Paris back in the Janice Dickinson era who managed to work her impromptu performances at Club Sept and other hot nightspots into a recording career during the disco era. After several successful albums, she shifted to acting after disco faded and began making appearances in '80s movies like "Conan the Destroyer" and "A View to a Kill". She's probably remembered now more for films and disco than as a model.

Back to ANTM: The videos would've been a LOT stronger if Tyra hadn't insisted on working "pot ledom is Top Model backwards" into each song, then (WORSE! ) working herself and that little guy into each video.

Still, they turned out much better than I would've expected, especially when you consider that they were taking a bunch of non-musicians and giving them a brief time to come up with lyrics to an assigned music track, then taking non-singers (mostly) and telling them "work 'pot ledom is Top Model backwards' in there somewhere" just as they started to record.

The end results show what you can do with good photography, careful editing, and a lot of electronic sweetening on the vocal tracks. I'm not even sure if a couple of those tracks were sung by the models, and maybe just had a few phrases from the models laid on top of a professional's voice. (Remember Milli Vanilli?)

My pesonal ranking would've been:

1) Lisa-- I'm sorry, but she got robbed here. She clearly had the best song and best performance, and hers was the only one Tyra didn't seem completely "What was THAT?" in.

2) Allison-- I just didn't think the song was that great, and certainly didn't have room for the 'pot ledom" injection. She had a great on-camera presence and overall tone, though, so it was eye-grabbing and memorable.

3) Laura-- As always, just so lovable she's hard to look away from. Everything in this worked for her image, but I didn't think the song was a standout. It would've been great for the tween market, though, and was somewhat reminiscent of '80s stuff like the Go-Gos and Debbie Gibson. However, I suspect she may have been overdubbed by another voice, since she sounded so offkey at the recording session.

4) Dominique-- Not a particularly great video or song, but she looked and sounded great, and I was thinking Shakira even before they said it. She might actually could handle a recording career (as could Lisa).

5) Shannon-- She sounded much better than the recording session showed, which makes me suspect that wasn't her voice. She looked good other than the eye contact thing they pointed out, but there's already a perfectly good Faith Hill out there-- and this was just too much "pretty blonde standing here looking pretty singing".

6) Angelea-- She had so much potential to shine, but got nervous and couldn't let go of that gate. They should've taken that thing out of the set after the first take and told her one of the other girls made fun of her stuck on the fence. Then she would've been pissed enough to give a performance of her lyrics. She looked lost, but at least you could see there was a performer in there-- somewhere.

7) Alexandria-- Unfortunately, she looked lost and there wasn't a performer in there somewhere. I really felt bad for her, but I guess some models can't do everything, no matter how Tyra tries to push it. Plus, I think she got stuck with a setup (car, costume) that she had to work with that went beyond her capability as a non-performer. It's not like she could've actually taken the car anywhere, so she had to somehow convey "go, go, go" without-- well, being able to move the car.

And given the way she was done up, it was hard not to look like a cliched "car show model" standing next to a stationary car-- or like an eye-candy model as set dressing in an old ZZ Top video. (In contrast, Allison just had to hang on a swing and use her natural looks to sell it. And the photography even did a lot of the work for her, by accentuating her makeup to make her look more spooky and ethereal.)

Overall, though, I guess it was really Alexandria's week to go. I was actually starting to like her, so I'll sort of miss seeing her around.

And the preview seemed to show that Shannon is going to continue to have issues over underwear. I guess how this plays out is going to be an indicator of whether she'll win.
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 11-03-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: correcting typos

As far as Shannon, she did the lingerie shoot back her first cycle. I do seem to remember though she and Adrienne had trouble actually visibly showing it - both had their shots mostly covered by the man. Even Robyn's staring at the window with the Eiffel Tower reflection was more selling the lingerie (which BTW, I hated that photo).

And I agree thinking back about the poster saying something about the irony of Shannon turning down lacy britches but then goes on and wears a bikini bottom that honestly looks more like underwear.

Unless she does it and produces a good photo, she should be eliminated this go if she refuses - all the others are decent models (yes, even Lisa, whom I wonder if this shoot will harm her given her age), and really no excuse should suffice.

Lisa is a musical talent. God gives everyone different gifts; and you are definitely gifted.

Allison--Honey blood? You could not make that one up. He, he. I did not like the whited outness of the video; and I had no appreciation for her music. But I think she is unique and talented.

Shannon--If you do not put on your big girl underwear next week and do what you are suppose to do, I am going to get mad at you. And I am a supporter.

I like Shannon for a win. But my tastes are not always what others are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Lisa is a musical talent. God gives everyone different gifts; and you are definitely gifted.

Allison--Honey blood? You could not make that one up. He, he. I did not like the whited outness of the video; and I had no appreciation for her music. But I think she is unique and talented.

Shannon--If you do not put on your big girl underwear next week and do what you are suppose to do, I am going to get mad at you. And I am a supporter.

I like Shannon for a win. But my tastes are not always what others are.
    Just to clarify my position - I have liked Shannon's photos back in her cycle and now. The gold snake one is one of my faves of her.

That said... I do feel though as if Tyra is setting her up to win to make amends for what happened post Cycle 1.

+ Reply to Thread