+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: ANTM Cycle 20: Guys & Girls Episode Discussion Thread

Re: ANTM Cycle 20: Guys & Girls Episode Discussion Thread

I am okay she won, Marvin will get a lot of work. My goodness Jourdan has legs that go on for miles, and it was great to see Laura.

Well done to the F3. I still like Corey, maybe not quite as much as I did . He didn't look that great on the runway.

Oh Bali is beautiful! (sigh)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Cory was just never going to win. Not with the photo shoots they set up. They wanted a more masculine guy and he just isn't that guy. I think he'll have a nice career with clients who want androgynous male models.

I hope they get rid of the stupid Flixel stuff. It's annoying.

As for all of the also-rans this season....Bianca was signed to NEXT and they also offered Chris H. a contract (he also got an offer from Major Model Management). Phil has signed with AIM and Maggie. I'm sure more contracts will be coming.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

He started acting a little too diva for me. When he said Jourdan was too excited blah blah blah.

I love the Flixel, I hope its there next season. Love me some living photos
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 11-16-2013 at 01:14 AM.
    -Andy Rooney-

Can't care less those two finalists, both of them are overrated. I actually couldn't help laughing watching the finale, hearing the judges praising them was quite funny. Jourdan just doesn't have the FACE, people say comments about she's forgettable, she's ordinary, which are all truth. She's probably gonna be one of the winners failing miserably in modeling industry after the show. As for Marvin, he's worse than Jourdan, at least Jourdan is ordinarily pretty, he's simply hideous. I can hardly see him as a model, let alone a high fashion one.
    I felt sorry for Cory though. It's unnecessary to eliminate him before the runway show, almost mortifying I can say.
    Gillian: Do you wanna see elephant dung? it's interesting
    Dan: Do you wanna see my dung,it interesting too!
    Dan is cute

Originally Posted by Critical

I liked Cory, but they seemed to be setting him up to fail, by planning shoots that required him to be masculine.
    Originally Posted by Critical

Cory was just never going to win. Not with the photo shoots they set up. They wanted a more masculine guy and he just isn't that guy.
    Okay, I think we were watching 2 different cycles!

Maybe I missed something major in the two episodes I missed (the first half of the premiere before the "projected on the wall" thingie, and the makeovers ep where Mike's photo was picked best photo).

But I saw exactly the opposite-- the "gender switch" commercial where all the guys had to do drag, the self-directed team shoot in the field (where Phil broke the fence) where all the clothes were women's clothes, the nails shoot, the "animals" shoot with the face painting, the "bat" shoot (and a couple of other shoots or challenges) where they basically put him in a dress. Not to mention removing his eyebrows with bleach before they went to Bali.

It seemed to me like they were doing everything they could to accommodate Corey's androgyny, to the detriment of the other male models. As far as I saw it, it wasn't until the last couple of shoots that they really honed in on being versatile (I think they touched on it once or twice before, but were praising him for reading "manly" in the male/female-paired photos).

And the thing is, what Rob said is true-- a model should be versatile enough to "be a different person" when a specific shoot requires it, or at the very least should to be able to bring shadings of that different person in when needed. And since they were expecting the other male models to embrace "femininity" at times, he wasn't unfairly singled out.

But rather than let Corey go all the way to the F3 and eliminate him in a "Bree, we just noticed you're too short" moment, they should've really axed him early on for lack of versatility. Instead, Tyra did this "You're a very special contestant, and you represent a certain segment of society" routine, which probably made him dig in his heels and be more resistant to embracing traditional "masculine" presentation, and probably made it sting all the worse when he was eliminated right before the final runway.

And I agree with nimbus JP-- the last-minute elimination was entirely unnecessary (other than to milk it into two episodes), and I don't care what happened to Tyra with a Versace show.

Other than that, Jourdan was the right choice. She had the best overall work of anyone in the cycle, and it would've been wrong to give it to Marvin because he was a nice guy and would be the first-ever male model winner.

And one other thing-- I am WAY more impressed with Laura James now than I was in her cycle a year ago. I don't keep up with these things, so I hope someone can tell me what she's done post-ANTM. She's too gorgeous not to be working at something.

CCL

I was more impressed with Laura this past episode than last year as well. I'm not sure what she's done as I don't really follow her. I think I read something about a Guess re-signing her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm SO glad Jourdan won! I thought sure it would be Marvin and I wasn't so happy about that. However people felt about her personally, I think Jourdan was the most consistent throughout the season and the one most able to make a go of it in the industry.

I liked Cory, but they seemed to be setting him up to fail, by planning shoots that required him to be masculine. IRL, he wouldn't be hired for those jobs, but he definitely has potential. Plenty of clients will hire him for his androgynous look.
    Pretty much . I thought for sure Marvin would win because it was the first male-female cycle but Jourdan deserved it more (well, deserved....you know what I mean). And I was glad that Cory blew Marvin out of the water at the runway. I felt so bad for him, eliminated right before the final show.
    Last edited by CCL; 11-16-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I was glad Jourdan won. I too felt she deserved it and had worked at it pretty hard. She seemed the best choice to me, although i was very afraid they would give it to Marvin. I think she wants it pretty badly and I didn't find her personality to be horrible or anything. She wasn't a mean girl and she didn't treat the others badly that i saw. Maybe that's pretty weak sounding praise, lol...but some of these kids are flat out jackasses.

What was this about an announcement by Tyra? do you mean the one where she says there will be an elimination down to two finalists? I didn't hear her make any other announcements.

I'm a little surprised Jourdan won. I was expecting it to be Marvin. It was the guys cycle!

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed by Marvin on the runway. He was too stiff. I wasn't all that impressed with Jourdan on the runway either and she's usually so good.

Cory was great, but the advertisers who would use him are probably more limited than for Marvin or Jourdan.

As a person of mixed race I hope I can say this without offending. I wish people would stop with the "I wish a (insert race/nationality here) would win" If a white person said that you would find it offensive because they were insinuating they prefer their race to yours, and that's the same message you send if you only want them to win because they are the same race as you.
    sunshine3331 likes this.

And who said that a black model can't appeal to anyone who's not black, or a latino, or etc..etc.... Hate this putting people in boxes and assuming the audience is so narrow in their views.

Also what the heck is wrong with being a Janitor's son. They act like it's something to be ashamed of. When we first saw you you were a Janitor's son, well guess what he still is!

All the having to have a set storyline for everyone and run it into the ground gets really old really fast.
    cubsfan55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    I'm a little surprised Jourdan won. I was expecting it to be Marvin. It was the guys cycle!

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed by Marvin on the runway. He was too stiff. I wasn't all that impressed with Jourdan on the runway either and she's usually so good.

Cory was great, but the advertisers who would use him are probably more limited than for Marvin or Jourdan.

As a person of mixed race I hope I can say this without offending. I wish people would stop with the "I wish a (insert race/nationality here) would win" If a white person said that you would find it offensive because they were insinuating they prefer their race to yours, and that's the same message you send if you only want them to win because they are the same race as you.
    It was a cycle for both sexes. I still like Marvin, he will do well, likely better than Jourdan, nothing unique about her look. Her personality was as exciting as a brown paper bag
    I hope next season is M & F
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread