+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: ANTM: College Edition - Episode Discussion Thread

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Re: ANTM: College Edition - Episode Discussion Thread

Am I the only one not liking the new format? I feel like letting fans have an input was a mistake. I liked it when a girl was judged by the experts for potential as well as her reactions. In the old format Kristin would have been gone a long time ago. Cray cray Victoria would have gone when she refused her makeover. I don't think the fan input has brought anything to the show. In fact, I think it's taken away. One bad weed can send somebody home instead of judges focusing on their entire body of work. I don't feel like the girl with the short hair would have gone home week 1 if it weren't for social media. Tyra likes quirky (said it this show in fact). And since the fans aren't getting to see personalities along with judging, I think it is very hard for them to make correct decisions.

Sad to say this may be my last season of this show. I'm also confused about the bitch comments where Laura is concerned. I don't find her that way at all. Of course, I'm often the girl that packs of women will call bitchy so maybe I'm not the best judge for things like that. Honestly out of all these girls, I think Laura would be the one I'd most likely be friends with. Okay so maybe that does make her bitchy, but I just don't see it. I did see it with Kristin but I don't with Laura.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

FORT Regular

I'm also confused about the bitch comments where Laura is concerned. I don't find her that way at all.
    I think I liked Laura until her tiff with Leila. She and someone (was it Kristin?) were saying nasty stuff about Leila, and when Leila confronted her about it she acted like she was the one who was being attacked, and boohoo, everyone's jealous because her parents are famous. Like, I get that it might be an upsetting thing to hear that you're a bit self-absorbed, but twisting the situation to make herself the victim just really rubbed me the wrong way. I have a family member who does that same thing--attacks other people and then when they push back acts the victim--so it's behavior I recognize right away. And it often gives them a license to bully because all they do is turn on the waterworks the second someone stands up for themselves.

But Laura has said a lot of things like how she doesn't want to make friends in this competition, which is fine but ... I mean, kind of nasty to say that you aren't interested in forming bonds just because you're also competing with someone. It's kind of on the same plane as what Kristin was saying, about how "everyone here is fake but me" just because they're being friendly with each other. You can absolutely be friends with someone and still be in a competition with them. To say that it's always fake or that you have to eschew such things because you're in a contest is just ... well, "not nice" is one way of putting it.

Out in the real world, Victoria may be much more stable, Laura and Kristen may be much less b!tchy and self-focused
    I have a feeling Victoria is totally stable outside the house ... because her mom is always there! (Remember, she doesn't ever want to get married or anything. She's just going to live with her mom forever.) The way she would start bawling and say, "I just need my mom!" was totally not healthy.

And then Kristin said she had to go into anger management because she got into lots of fights, and Laura ... well, I have this feeling she's used to feeling special because of her "famous parents" and might be suffering from a little spoilage. But I don't think she's necessarily nasty.
    M_shelll and Dukie like this.

Originally Posted by yourefired
    Am I the only one not liking the new format? I feel like letting fans have an input was a mistake. I liked it when a girl was judged by the experts for potential as well as her reactions. In the old format Kristin would have been gone a long time ago. Cray cray Victoria would have gone when she refused her makeover.
    I think the new format is a dud as well.

However, even in the old format Kristin and Victoria would've lasted just as long, since they kept giving drama. Jade was as big a b!tch as Kristin in C6 and made F3; b!tches stay in past their ability if they give good camera moments.

Victoria would've stayed in after refusing her makeover, because Maria also refused her makeover, argued with Kelly Cutrone, and called her a "see you next Tuesday" in front of the other models waiting to do the shoot. Plus, Victoria admitted she passed up a chance to get some extra polish from a top name and apologized profusely for it at panel. So even under the old system, she'd have been spared for refusing the makeover.

Originally Posted by yourefired
    I don't think the fan input has brought anything to the show. In fact, I think it's taken away. One bad weed can send somebody home instead of judges focusing on their entire body of work.
    Unfortunately, the way the show has it set up, it's hard to tell just how much the social media really impacts the show.

Sure, they've set it up to appear that way, but those scores are firmly in hand and the girls already ranked before the judging panel gathers, and Kelly, Rob and Tyra can then give a score to add up to whatever makes the difference to get the top-to-bottom ranking they want. How many times have we heard a judge criticize a photo to the extent they sounded like they thought it was one of the worst, then turn around and give it a 7 or 8?

There's a real possibility for shenanigans when the viewer input isn't actually live and occurring at the same moment as the judges' comments.
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 11-04-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Originally Posted by MagicBullet
    I think I liked Laura until her tiff with Leila. She and someone (was it Kristin?) were saying nasty stuff about Leila, and when Leila confronted her about it she acted like she was the one who was being attacked, and boohoo, everyone's jealous because her parents are famous. Like, I get that it might be an upsetting thing to hear that you're a bit self-absorbed, but twisting the situation to make herself the victim just really rubbed me the wrong way.
    This is exactly why I put Laura into the "b!tch" category. It's also typical HS "mean girl" behavior-- the girls who are highly regarded can be as awful as they want to be to the "lesser" girls and turn around and play "victim" when they get called on it (or God forbid, if the real victim retaliates in any way).

But Laura has said a lot of things like how she doesn't want to make friends in this competition, which is fine but ... I mean, kind of nasty to say that you aren't interested in forming bonds just because you're also competing with someone.
    On the other hand, we get this sort of "I'm here to compete, not make friends" announcement on a regular basis. I think it's not necessarily "nasty," but an attempt to say "I'm focused, I'm the REAL professional" on the part of some of the girls. And others... well, some of the others do seem like they're auditioning for a "women in prison" movie and they want to be the one who rules the cell block.

I have a feeling Victoria is totally stable outside the house ... because her mom is always there! (Remember, she doesn't ever want to get married or anything. She's just going to live with her mom forever.) The way she would start bawling and say, "I just need my mom!" was totally not healthy.
    On the other hand, look at all the characters she came up with at her shoots. I've often wondered how much of Victoria's on-camera comments were heartfelt and how much was attention-grabbing that the edit played up by eliminating the "normal" moments.

And we've had a lot of sobbing to Mom in the phone booth from other contestants in past cycles. I think they may have edited everything Victoria did to look a lot worse when it's condensed down. It wouldn't be the first misrepresentation of a contestant if they have done this.

And then Kristin said she had to go into anger management because she got into lots of fights
    This is one I think they weren't faking or fudging. On the other hand, Kristin never did actually cross that line once they established that nugget early on. I don't know if it was self-control on her part (kudos to her if she's grown), or if there was constant surveillance and pre-emptory intervention by the producers whenever things got too testy with her.

and Laura ... well, I have this feeling she's used to feeling special because of her "famous parents" and might be suffering from a little spoilage. But I don't think she's necessarily nasty.
    Erm, I don't want to be mean, but just how "famous" IS John James these days? Especially to her peer group?

However, I agree that she might be more pleasant and even fun in a different context (away from the "model house")-- or even with different editing of the actual context of the house.

What a nasty person Kristin was. I don't know what her problem was( is) anyway I am glad to say goodbye to her boring pictures, her boring bland look., and her nasty hateful comments

I love Leila and have from the start, I also like Nastasia, I think both these girls have really nice personality's and they take good photos. Kiara was better this week,very strong.

Go Leila!!!!!!!!!!
    Allie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    I like Nastasia, too, and she's been extremely quiet. Maybe it's editing, too, but she hasn't seemed to get in on the drama, unless I missed something. Actually, she may have been one to say something to Victoria about her health but I don't recall her being mean about it.
    Thanks. I will root for her, then! I love her looks, for sure.

FORT Fogey

Top Chef is now taking personalities into consideration. Being a good chef means being able to get along with a team as well as skill.

Tyra should do the same. This show needed a change but not the one they gave it. How about a cast of smart women without anger issues? And their temperment should show in their scores. Kirstin would have been out long ago. She will never make it in this field, never.
    Allie likes this.

Hmph. I think the styling for pretty much all of them was bad on the final shoot. Not pleased with the elimination, at all. :-(

Victoria's perfume ad shoot is pretty good. She posted the pic on her Twitter account. (So, instead of 'packing her bags and leaving immediately', she continued with the filming charade because of the social media crap, I mean social media element?

CCL

They all took pictures through the end; you can find them online. I don't know that they all went to Jamaica -some of them may have been back in the US and then green-screened in.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread