+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: ANTM Fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel

Re: ANTM Fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel

Sigh, and then there are three of 'em are in the last episode. Miss J cracks me up, the facial expressions alone, like when the astrologist was doing the girl's horoscopes. Have always liked Mr. Jay and I'm okay with Nigel. As much as the show needs a shake-up, I'm kinda worried about how it might actually go over!

I think the shake up the show needed was to get rid of all the childish gimmicky junk, like tooching and smizing and music videos onstead of photo shoots, but with Tyra runnin this thing, that will never happen.

I think ANTM jumped the shark with Saliesha's season and never looked back.

I still watch some, just with a lot less interest than several cycles ago
    Shoepie and mushybrain like this.

FORT Fogey

I am holding out hope that this show turns into a serious search for models. I prefer Top Chef and Project Runway for this reason. Can Tyra tone it down to pull this off, is the question. Leslie Hornby (Twiggy) was the best judge they have had to date. I would love to see her back. And on the pannel they should have someone from a modeling agency who knows what to look for and willing to hire on the spot, perhaps more than one. Something huge has to change. I only half watch and have done that for a long time now.

And most important, choose contenders who are well spoken and smart. No more ghetto girls waving their fingers and repeating the same phrase over and over and over and over. I hate that.
    Allie, mindy384 and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I am holding out hope that this show turns into a serious search for models. I prefer Top Chef and Project Runway for this reason. Can Tyra tone it down to pull this off, is the question. Leslie Hornby (Twiggy) was the best judge they have had to date. I would love to see her back. And on the pannel they should have someone from a modeling agency who knows what to look for and willing to hire on the spot, perhaps more than one. Something huge has to change. I only half watch and have done that for a long time now.

And most important, choose contenders who are well spoken and smart. No more ghetto girls waving their fingers and repeating the same phrase over and over and over and over. I hate that.
    Why not have judges from the prizes? The modeling agency, Cover Girl and whatever else it is?

They did that with Make Me A Supermodel, I think. Wasn't one of the judges the head of the agency that would sign the winner?
    Allie and jucamer like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

They used to have that woman from Seventeen when that was a prize...and that Italian Vogue editor shows up for an episode or two. I don't think Tyra is too concerned with legitimacy.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

If they continue ANTM then they definitely need a makeover. While I love Barker, and the Js - I understand why they need a fresh start. I wouldn't mind the first few episodes in the typical show fashion but I'd like to see the girls do more go-sees and compete for real jobs. Just because they are cute and have a bubbly personality does not mean they will be professional models, on the same token just because they're quirky and standoffish doesn't mean they won't.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

FORT Fogey

Something I found out is that the network execs weild much power with the reality shows. Project runway changed a few seasons back when they changed networks. Basically the network execs can decide who wins and who does not and who they hire and who they do not. Remember when Simon Cowel wanted Cheryl Cole and the execs said no. Of course Cheryl was cut. The Executive producers have some power is the show is rating well. If not, they are at the mercy of the network if they want to continue showing. If not they are cut. Tyra has no say. She gets paid for being the creator and being executive producer. But she has bosses she needs to please.
    Shoepie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    Something I found out is that the network execs weild much power with the reality shows. Project runway changed a few seasons back when they changed networks. Basically the network execs can decide who wins and who does not and who they hire and who they do not. Remember when Simon Cowel wanted Cheryl Cole and the execs said no. Of course Cheryl was cut. The Executive producers have some power is the show is rating well. If not, they are at the mercy of the network if they want to continue showing. If not they are cut. Tyra has no say. She gets paid for being the creator and being executive producer. But she has bosses she needs to please.
    I think too many think Tyra has all the power, that's not true and its never been true. I am glad you posted
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

It seems like she really doesn't hold that much power over her show.

I just read elsewhere that the CW is moving ANTM to Fridays at 8PM (EST), where it wil be the lead-in for "Nikita". "Supernatural" will take its Wednesday 9PM (EST) slot, following a new "Smallville" spinoff, (Green) "Arrow" at 8PM (EST).

After the mass firings, getting moved to a new time slot-- well, actually, the old slot where they did rebroadcasts of the show a while back-- isn't a good sign. This is almost certainly the last two cycles of ANTM.

Didn't Tyra say some time back that 20 cycles was her personal number she wanted to do?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast