+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

...what exactly was Azmarie's "belief" in her not doing the tooch thing? I thought she was just being demeaning and childish, did she give a reason? I thought Azmarie had the best chances of winning, but i knew she was done for after she walked out like that.

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess View Post
    ...what exactly was Azmarie's "belief" in her not doing the tooch thing? I thought she was just being demeaning and childish, did she give a reason? I thought Azmarie had the best chances of winning, but i knew she was done for after she walked out like that.
    She didn't want to do it because it wasn't her style or her "brand" essentially. While I can say that it's admirable... it WON'T get you a win on "ANTM."

(Though I do admit... Tyra could've put them in capris or full leggings and not hot pants. I mean, the photoshoot where we got the nonsense phrase (and BTW, from the pic of the person who I felt SHOULD'VE won the season - Allison), they were wearing leggings and stilts. You got the same effect of the "booty tooch.")

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Like it or not, this is a bit relevant. Most women have some form of curve to their rear, and in the case of a music video, women with some sort of shape and not looking like a stick are seen as attractive. You want clothes to sell? - you want them to look like they're made for a woman and not a man by showing off some form of curve.
    I have no objections to a woman showing off her natural curves, and I understand the value in teaching aspiring models how to use their butts to help them sell whatever it is they are selling/modeling. I just can't understand why it was necessary to make the whole exercise so extremely childish and cartoonish. Tyra could have easily taught the women how to stick out and show off their butts without making it so completely inane with all the booty padding, and the "booty tooch" written on their butts, and the silly names for each of the booty moves. It was like she was teaching a class of 5 year olds.

It came across as very unprofessional and disrespectful to the "students," and not at all like an exercise designed for mature young women. They weren't going to wear booty padding in the video, so there was no point to it. I'm sure all those women were perfectly capable of learning how to show off their natural butts without engaging in buffoonery that seemed to be designed just to make Tyra look young and cutesy. It was comparable to last season when Tyra inserted herself and that kid into the Pot Ledom videos and ruined them. Tyra made it about herself instead of letting each girl shine or struggle on her own.

This season overall has seemed especially bad in its lack of seriousness in trying to help these girls make it in the modeling world. (Thank goodness Mr. Jay continues to be his usual professional self while helping them during their photo shoots.) It seems even more contrived than in previous seasons, starting with the Kardashian clan being involved in a shoot where they brought nothing of value. The best part of this season was when the two girls were dropped from the Toronto Fashion Week show. That was a real-life experience, and I'll bet those girls learned a lot about the business of modeling from that situation.

I think what it boils down to is that Tyra is promoting Modelland through the series (with the terminology smize/tooch/intoxibellas/bestosteros/etc, Intoxibella powers excite-to-buy/thirty never/etc although most of them are new powers and not of the original 7 in the book)

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I have no objections to a woman showing off her natural curves, and I understand the value in teaching aspiring models how to use their butts to help them sell whatever it is they are selling/modeling. I just can't understand why it was necessary to make the whole exercise so extremely childish and cartoonish. Tyra could have easily taught the women how to stick out and show off their butts without making it so completely inane with all the booty padding, and the "booty tooch" written on their butts, and the silly names for each of the booty moves. It was like she was teaching a class of 5 year olds.
    True, and they were acting it up too though. Then again, this is Tyra's way of handling things.

"Booty Tooch" written on the shorts? - well, that doesn't bother me UNTIL they stop printing words on women's shorts. I personally didn't notice them that much.

It came across as very unprofessional and disrespectful to the "students," and not at all like an exercise designed for mature young women. They weren't going to wear booty padding in the video, so there was no point to it. I'm sure all those women were perfectly capable of learning how to show off their natural butts without engaging in buffoonery that seemed to be designed just to make Tyra look young and cutesy. It was comparable to last season when Tyra inserted herself and that kid into the Pot Ledom videos and ruined them. Tyra made it about herself instead of letting each girl shine or struggle on her own.
    The padding probably was to show them a little bit more visibly how their movements were or were not working - visual aid. That's where I draw the line.

And - pardon the cliche, but we use this a lot - these girls and other contestants know that when they sign up for a show, they run the risk of having to be put in ridiculous things like this.

The videos last year bugged me quite a bit EXCEPT for Lisa's, where it actually fit. (The young man who was rapping was the one who REALLY bothered me in that actually, then to a lesser extent Tyra in Allison's, Shannon's and one other's songs).

I do agree that the models need to shine or fall on their own accord. Tyra is BEST when she does her black and white or color photography shoots. As a photographer myself, I think hers actually turn out to be some of the best in the show (and I'm saying that factoring in and out her exec. producer status).

This season overall has seemed especially bad in its lack of seriousness in trying to help these girls make it in the modeling world. (Thank goodness Mr. Jay continues to be his usual professional self while helping them during their photo shoots.) It seems even more contrived than in previous seasons, starting with the Kardashian clan being involved in a shoot where they brought nothing of value. The best part of this season was when the two girls were dropped from the Toronto Fashion Week show. That was a real-life experience, and I'll bet those girls learned a lot about the business of modeling from that situation.
    Really the only real modeling experience they have had was when they were in Canada and that show as you say.

But it's been lacking seriousness since Saleshia won her season (and we knew she had been in Tyra's model camp) and been gimmicky more and more since well... honestly since cycle 6 (when Danielle won), but really bad past two seasons.

I say this too when
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The current casting call wants college students. Next season is supposed to feature college women.

FORT Regular

I thought Azmarie was totally justified in wanting to hold on to her dignity. I guess I'm a lot like her, and I hate feeling like someone is making a fool of me. Maybe Tyra had to go through some stuff to be a model, but I would guarantee it was nothing like what she puts these women through for the sake of tv.

I'm not a fan of the humiliation that a lot of reality shows put contestants, especially female ones, through. We're still at a point where it can smack of "putting those uppity girls in their place." With a show like this that is all girls, especially ones considered to be slim and attractive, that kind of feeling strikes me a lot more during the ridiculous challenges. Like Tyra feels the need to knock them down a peg. Azmarie resisted, didn't go along, and she was punished for not allowing herself to be knocked down. (Maybe she should have said her religion forbade butt pads. Worked for others in the past ...)

I have a different take on this than most of you. I saw it as a bit of silly but entertaining fun. After all, while the show does give aspiring models a chance to show what they can do and a chance to learn, it is still a reality TV show who's first goal is to entertain the viewers.

In the world of professional modeling I'm sure there are many occasions where a good sense of humor and sense of fun will save the day. All of the girls, except Azmarie, showed that they could let their hair down and just have some silly fun. I think the only one who looked foolish was Azmarie. Well maybe Tyra too. She's a bit old for all that
    Shoepie likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I thought AZ disrespected Tyra.She then went on to let her whole team down. It was fun. I am not sorry to see her go, her photos were good, but they had a sameness about that.

Still love Sophie
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Thanks for that spoiler Jadewarlock. Love the idea. Hopefully we will see a different dynamic. This show needs something to change the predictable.

I thought Azmarie was totally justified in wanting to hold on to her dignity. I guess I'm a lot like her, and I hate feeling like someone is making a fool of me. Maybe Tyra had to go through some stuff to be a model, but I would guarantee it was nothing like what she puts these women through for the sake of tv.

If she starts with the diva attitude already,she wont get anywhere as a model. Nobody likes a diva, or diva behavior from someone that has barely scratched the surface as a model . She knew what she was going to have to do on ANTM, she was good, but she was nothing special. I am sure Tyra has gone through a lot over the years, she had to make a living, it wasn't handed to her on a plate.Suck it up AZ
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread