+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

Re: ANTM - Cycle 18 - The British Are Coming! - February 29, 2012

I really like the UK girls! I liked them more than the US girls... Catherine is my favorite overall... but all the UK girls i like, im not sure about the US girls just yet... i think the androgynous girl is pretty, she reminds me of Jaeda (who i also thought was very beautiful and androgynous).

I enjoyed the episode from the beginning... because we saw so little of Tyra!

I was really unimpressed with any of the girls. Maybe I'm getting old, but I thought the episode was boring.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

So far, I like the bunch of girls we got this cycle, even though I don't have a firm handle on most of them.

I really like Azmarie, the buzz-cut tattooed lesbian. She's got a quirky androgynous quality, but her facial features could be made to look traditionally feminine, assuming she knows how to work it. The two major problems I see for her are: 1) where's Tyra going to go with her makeover? Glue hair on? and 2) can she avoid getting tagged with "she can give us 'fierce' but she can't give us 'soft' when we want it"?

However, I really thought the photoshoot was "bleh" and wasn't surprised that the results were overall unimpressive. "Let's take a bunch of models that look nothing like the celebrities they're portraying, then put them in cheap Halloweeen costumes and bad wigs. Then, for no good reason, let's put them on trampolines and use trick cameras to make the photos turn 360 degrees!"

Even without the extra distraction of bouncing and trying to figure out where the heck you play to with 360 degrees worth of camera angles, this photoshoot would have been dragged down by the wretched costuming-- Princess Di? With that hair color and style? Oh, but she's got sort of a tiara on her head, so it's all the model's fault if we don't see the late lamented "England's Rose" instead of a girl in a prom dress and bad wig topped with some sort of rhinestone squiggles.

[big huffy rant] And if you have to be so insensitive as to hand the Native American model "Pocahontas"-- like that's all you're able to think of when you think "Native American woman"-- don't call her out for not embracing the concept unless you first bother to check to see if you're accurately portraying a member of the correct group of Native American peoples-- who were not one identical, interchangeable mass-- rather than stick her in a "Dances with Wolves" hand-me-down. (And if you think Disney got anywhere close to accuracy with that cartoon, I've got some cliffside property in Tidewater Virginia to sell you.) [/big huffy rant]

That said, though I had some initial misgivings, I think I'm going to like Kelly Cutrone as a new judge. Not so much for this first episode alone, but for a couple of interviews I read yesterday. She said she doesn't really get going until the third episode, and asked viewers to bear with her until then. I love that.

--

Oh, yeah-- flag lipstick at judging panel? Don't ever do this again. In the closeups, it just looked lame, and in the medium and long shots, it looked like an outbreak of some horrible disease had hit the model house.
    Last edited by SurrnderDorothy; 03-01-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: add comment

CCL

It was annoying how they made Mariah (? The Native American) out as a failure because, clearly, as a Native American, she should have excelled at playing one. They didn't fault the white girls for not playing white people well enough (well, they did, but not based on race). I'm not phrasing it well, but I was annoyed.

I would say it's unfair to have "previous" Brits (as Ashley termed them) versus newbie Americans but they often have contestants with different levels of experience so...that said, I'm going to call it right now that there's no way a Brit will win.
    There's some good contestants...Azmarie, Catherine, Mariah, Louise...could be good.

Anyone notice that the ousted Brit didn't have the flag lipstick on at panel?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Hated the photoshoot, hated the lipstick the models were wearing at panel, hated the tone Tyra used when it was obvious the first one out was British.

Hated the stereotype with Pocahontas, and hated the comments of "interact with each other" and the only one who really did that was the pairing with Pocahontas and the like. Also didn't like the Jackie O or Diana comments - you give these guys too many notes it's hard to figure out what to do and you end up with drivel like this.

Also think this photoshoot was bad because it is almost a "GAP" ad instead. It'd been better for a fashion video instead.

I do love the models overall and think they'll do well; however, it will depend regarding these hideous photoshoots.

Supposedly there will be a season 19 with college people, but it's gotten SO GIMMICKY that they should've canceled it after All-Stars.

Oh the other thing I love - Lisa's photoshoot with the perfume and her Cover Girl ad. Would've liked Allison to win, but Lisa is proving she can model.

I too hated the photoshoot...jumping up and down like kids on a bed trying on clothes they found in the attic, doesn't impress me. Most of the girls seem to be very unpolished, I don't see model in them yet, at least from the US girls. Right now, I'm aside from maybe Mariah, I'm rooting for the Brits. I do have to say though if the Brit they have to supply subtitles for gets far enough in the competition to do a commercial or something similar I have to wonder what they'll do. Will they come down as hard on her as they have on some of the Southern models in the past? It'll be interesting to find out.

I also wonder if you'll find each team trying to work together to see their team get ahead..or will it be to each their own?

I'll reserve further comment until the next episode.
    DevilTwin
    Trekker and Geocacher

why would they have a gross food eating competition on ANTM?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    Because Tyra's ran out of everything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    I'm sure to educate the girls on the other country's foods...

... except there are good foods from both sides that aren't served in the other country normally. I mean here in the US we have chili and the UK has a whole different take on fish and chips (with malt vinegar and a different type of batter).

But really... it was just for ratings.

Like the idea of the extreme colors and cuts; however, the photoshoots are leaving something to be desired. I also didn't like this photoshoot not because of the models, but because we have Kris Jenner and two of the Kardashian sibilings AGAIN on the show and AGAIN primping themselves out in the media when most people do not like the group (be it because why they are famous, because the son went far in "DWTS" in spite of better dancers, or just tired of the overload).

This one actually wasn't a bad concept, just executed bad.

Something tells me that the College edition next season (this is online that's what they're casting for) will be their last season if the photoshoots and gimmicks continue.

+ Reply to Thread