+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Show Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: Show Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I think the fact that Alexandria lives in the city is unfair at some level. Yes Jaclyn should have been able to read a map or hit more gosees but it should have been at least acknowledged at elimination that Alexandria had an advantage. If I have to see that Shirley Temple grin anymore I may vomit. She is exactly the type of personality that seems able to snow so many people.
    I don't think it's a Shirley Temple grin......more like Bride of Chuckie

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    According to Alexandria's profile, she lives in my hometown, Huntington Beach, which is about 45 minutes or so (depending on how horrid the traffic is) south of LA. Maybe she spends a lot of time there, but unless she moved, she doesn't live in LA. I could find my way around there fairly well too, but it was clear that Alex doesn't know it like the back of her hand or anything. If she did, she would have made it to all five go-sees. To me, her bragging about living in LA seemed like false bravado. Really, anyone who lived in a big city would have an advantage over someone like Jaclyn, who seems to have NO experience even reading a map.

Haven't they done go-sees in NYC when a contestant lived there?I started out this season really liking Molly and I find that, as the season goes on, I like her less and less.
    Yes, I remember season 3 Kelly, but it wasn't a go see. And Season 10, that skinny blond anger management chick (name escapes me).

I don't understand why they can only use a map. With technology these days, and everyone having a gps on their phone, you know no model ever gets lost going on a go see. I think it's pretty stupid.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kidstookitall View Post
    I don't understand why they can only use a map. With technology these days, and everyone having a gps on their phone, you know no model ever gets lost going on a go see. I think it's pretty stupid.
    It is all about the drama!

Since every contestant has watched this show you would think they would learn how to use a map before applying.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstookitall View Post
    Since GPS's are not 100% reliable, it is a really good idea to learn how to read a map.

And FYI, not everyone has GPS - neither I nor my husband have it on our phones, we don't have it in our car, he doesn't have it in his truck. The same goes for all of our friends - Not one of them has GPS.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Yeah, but a working model whose career depended on quickly getting to new places in unfamiliar cities is sure to be carrying an iPhone or GPS or something - or they wouldn't be prohibited from asking a cab driver. It was just an artificial setup so Tyra could reminisce about her early days getting lost in Paris on the way to go-sees.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    Yeah, but a working model whose career depended on quickly getting to new places in unfamiliar cities is sure to be carrying an iPhone or GPS or something - or they wouldn't be prohibited from asking a cab driver. It was just an artificial setup so Tyra could reminisce about her early days getting lost in Paris on the way to go-sees.
    They likely would be, but nonetheless, learning to read a map is an excellent idea as GPS's should not be considered to be 100% reliable. How many stories have we all heard about people driving off of cliffs because they followed their GPS blindly? Well, not a whole lot of cliff stories to be honest (I've heard two), but fields and dead ends, yeah. And while they certainly could ask a cab driver in a foreign country how to get where they're going, there is no guarantee that the cab driver and the model will be able to communicate effectively (cite: TAR). I certainly have no intention of giving Tyra a boost, but I maintain that learning to rely on one's own skills to navigate is a really, really good idea.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My husband finally let me buy him a GPS last Christmas, he was VERY resistant. So now for fun, he insists on letting that thing guide us everywhere. It gets so confused in cities! We went to DC and it had us making all sorts of crazy circles just to get the National Zoo. I finally reached over and turned the stupid thing off and told him to just get there since we already know the way.

But good thing was that while it didn't find the zoo....it DID find Georgetown Cupcakes (aka DC Cupcake on TLC) instead even if we weren't exactly looking for that place.

Point is that I agree that GPS are not infallible and people really should know how to read a map. However, how many agencies would actually send their models out without directions or something?
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by princess07 View Post
    Yes, I remember season 3 Kelly, but it wasn't a go see. And Season 10, that skinny blond anger management chick (name escapes me).
    There was a go-see challenge in NYC in S3. Except it was different in that all of the girls traveled together to set destinations. They managed to screw it up when Amanda forgot to bring high heels, and all of the girls except three went with her to the shoe store, making the whole group late since the client couldn't see the three girls until the whole group was there. It was all bad, since the clients were actually legitimate designers!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I agree, the GPS is a dangerous tool to have. It has been known to think farm to market roads are the Federated States of Micronesia and try to put people into the Puget Sound instead of a parking lot. (I have witnessed/heard stories about both).

So I can see Tyra not wanting the models to use them.

That said, if she said the drivers couldn't be asked - or others for that matter, I'd have issues. Though it's pretty obvious if the drivers don't know where to go they are probably production drivers with taxi licenses (most drivers will have an idea where places are), asking people for directions shouldn't be out of bounds.

+ Reply to Thread