+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AGT 8 Quarterfinal #3 ****Spoilers****

FORT Fan

Re: AGT 8 Quarterfinal #3 ****Spoilers****

Aerosphere -- I think the performer made a good point when she said they are only allotted 90 seconds. It takes a while for the balloon to get moving so they can only show so much. I enjoyed it.

Chicago Boyz-- They were great. I agree about the couple small mistakes though, and was surprised none of the judges mentioned it because they are usually all over mistakes. i hope they go through.

Mitsi Dancing School-- Very cool.

The Dog Act-- Cute, but seemed too simplistic to go much farther.

Singing Brother and Sister-- didn't do anything for me.

Magic Act-- Kind of cool. It was confusing how TV viewers saw one angle and the audience and judges saw another. We did see part of how they did the act, but of course didn't see how Nick got in the box.

Deanna-- Eh. I'm glad she toned down her hair color. Last time it was just so garish.

Cobra Kid-- Nerve racking. I couldn't help but think that he was goading/taunting the snake. Don't signs in zoos warn people not to do that to the animals?

Sobbing Opera Singer with Glasses-- He's OK. Not a fan of that type of music.

Kenichi-- Fun to see a unique act. The judges sure loved him.

Impression Guy-- Enjoyed it and would have liked to see him do another person from history as well. Great to see Mrs. C. from Happy Days.

Military Wives-- Didn't get to see it yet.

It's a tough call as to which acts will go through.

JohnnyK, come on bud, be a good sport. I had a migraine last night and couldn't watch, so I came here to read your comments.

I did see the guys from Chicago and thought that was pretty cool - me and my friends are going to try jumping rope on our backs later today... not. How's that even possible?! Wild. They weren't as precise as Howard S said, however. I also saw the gals from the dancing school. I honestly feel they are good, they truly are, but take away their costumes and... not so much of a big deal, for me anyway. I found the gals dancing in water (who were already eliminated) to be much better - that takes A TON of athleticism!

I want to see what Kenichi did. From what I've heard, and read, he's all but won.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    JohnnyK, come on bud, be a good sport. I had a migraine last night and couldn't watch, so I came here to read your comments.

I agree. I used to love reading your comments on this show, Johnny. I miss you. I know it's tough seeing Marty take it all. Honestly, though, it's just a TV show for me now. I got burned last year after Earth Harp Guy and Sand Painting Guy didn't win. Now, as much as I love some acts like Kenichi, I refuse to get emotionally involved.

Who was that guy from last week's thread who said he's a juggler but who won't try out for this show? He doesn't want the humiliation of going up against an act like Marty and losing. That's kind of how I see it. This show has been on for several years, and most of the audience-loved winners have flopped. Therefore, any act who tries out for this show should be aware of what they're getting into. They should know that as talented as they are, it probably won't mean anything if something cuter/with a better sob story comes along.

I want to see what Kenichi did. From what I've heard, and read, he's all but won.

I wouldn't say that. That's what they told Earth Harp Guy last season. I would be very surprised if Marty doesn't win. I think Kenici has the most potential for long-term success, though. Him and that opera group, Forte. I like classical music, so I'm biased towards them.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

My problem is that it just wasn't fair how the acts that did have a good performance and received praise from the judges were eliminated over someone that messed up and got negative comments all around.

If I gave a good performance that was well-received, yet I got cut over that loser, I would have been devastated.

And to think that the only reason Marty made it is because he's a country white with a sob story, is just ridiculous. And I will continue to think that way.

Oh JohnnyK Cheer Up! Kenichi is going to the semi-finals!

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Oh JohnnyK Cheer Up! Kenichi is going to the semi-finals!
    yeeeeah I'm sooo happy all of the best 4 acts made it America got it right! go kenichi!

cheer up Johnny k there's still hope buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Who was that guy from last week's thread who said he's a juggler but who won't try out for this show? He doesn't want the humiliation of going up against an act like Marty and losing. That's kind of how I see it. This show has been on for several years, and most of the audience-loved winners have flopped. Therefore, any act who tries out for this show should be aware of what they're getting into. They should know that as talented as they are, it probably won't mean anything if something cuter/with a better sob story comes along.
    It was me (who is a she ) but you're right - never will enter this competition, even with the temptation of performing at Radio City Music Hall.

Here's where my opinion is, I'm good at what I do, but know there are folks better than me (i.e. in my humble opinion Charles Peachock - I'd LOVE to figure out how he learned how to rhythm out "Jailhouse Rock" in juggling).

So, I do not mind losing out in talent shows - in fact, I was a senior in COLLEGE before I won my very first talent show, and had averaged a 2nd place until then.

But - when I lose, I want it to be because the better act was better than me. That has happened in 98 percent of the shows I didn't win.

The reason I got upset about Marty's advancing with such a bad performance is I have had a case where I lost out in a similar situation. My case, a smaller talent show mind you, the judges thought a singer, who had missed words, was better than my juggling routine simply because she was a singer, in college, and young. In fact, when they announced the winners in the other two categories (youth and teen), I even KNEW I wasn't going to win because there was an obvious bias that year.

So - when I see this nonsense, I just go "OK, it's not worth my time, effort and talent to bother auditioning for a bunch of turkeys who really don't know what I'm doing (I'm glaring at you Howie), and would most likely choose a subpar talent over another because of a sob story.

And - I'm speaking as someone who could really use that on folks this year (my Dad died in October, and we've had another family member find out she had cancer two months later), but wouldn't because I HATE WITH A PASSION that being a reason an act advances, even if I had a perfect juggling routine. (Which is another peeve of mine - these judges do not get that even the most experienced jugglers will average at least one drop during an average routine, and it's within that 90 seconds ).

OK, sorry for the rant - but you can see I get Johnny's opinion quite well.

I wouldn't say that. That's what they told Earth Harp Guy last season. I would be very surprised if Marty doesn't win. I think Kenici has the most potential for long-term success, though. Him and that opera group, Forte. I like classical music, so I'm biased towards them.
    From the acts I've seen this year, such as Kenichi, there are some very talented and versatile acts out there that will have folks entertained. In the case of Forte, people WILL listen to singing acts of that caliber and be willing to shell out the money for it. Marty's case? - no, he's sadly a dime a dozen in that industry.

Kenichi's act I will say this - the one I saw tonight (that arcade game?) you could even get audience interaction with it, so it's really versatile.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 08-07-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

SOS = Sobbing Opera Singer. Like that, but at least they're good.

Really though, America seems to find any reason they can to pity someone.

"omg he's country! cry cry cry pity pity pity"

"omg he has a family and bills to pay! cry cry cry pity pity pity"

"omg he injured himself! cry cry cry pity pity pity"

"omg he f**ked up his song! cry cry cry pity pity pity"

"omg the judges were mean to a poor ole Good Ole Boy! cry cry cry pity pity pity"

etc etc etc.

And yes, it almost always is a "he".

America doesn't seem to pity women as much for some reason.

Like Deanna, she was one of the more pimped contestants this season, and she's already gone.

And by the way, of course I'm happier with this week's results. That's because there was nobody moving on called Marty Brown.

They had a better jumping rope dance crew once at America's Best Dance Crew. I would have preferred Mitzi Dancing School to have gone through. I would have preferred Deanna over the singing military housewives but they performed last and they sang about the soldiers. You can't beat that. Next week I think I already know who is getting through.

The light show group
    The country singing girl
    The weird creepy comedian
    The male pole dancer (judges choice)
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 08-08-2013 at 03:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast